Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

ZeroPak Delta

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Like Tree13Likes

Thread: What sort of cast do you want from your dog...

Quote Originally Posted by EeeBees View Post
    I agree, Pointer. Re the dog missing ground...its an interesting one...a dog can work in a busy fashion but is he really doing the work he needs to...does prey drive come into this, I suggest it does.
    In it's desire to hunt away, perhaps. But otherwise no. Ground treatment and the ability to quarter is largely inherited and to a perhaps marginally lesser extent, trained, as per above, according to Whitney et al.
    If a puppy is missing ground that is one thing, but an experienced dog is another...how much ground is missing ground (I guess again it is the terrain) but how much ground is too much ground?
    Again as above, any ground left in a dogs beat, according to scenting conditions and terrain.

If that ground is not holding birds, or there are no birds, can and/or should the dog be remonstrated (or at least corrected) for missing ground?
    In my opinion, yes. Pointing dogs are to be used when game is scarce, they should do all the ground they can and to do it in a manner that leaves nothing behind. Otherwise we may as well march it up ourselves with a spaniel...
    upnorth uplander and gqhoon like this.

Ejected
    I'm assuming by terrain you guys mean cover?
    How tight do the critters hold?

For the rabbits it's good if the main pack keep around that 25 metre mark, but there is always a couple out long, so be it as they get what comes their way plus pushing others back. Yes I have a few that will cast, she's not pretty but it gets done. Stop on the whistle when I want them to start working back to me.
    EeeBees likes this.