Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Terminator DPT

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree94Likes

Thread: Advice on training a Vizsla that has been re-homed.

Quote Originally Posted by Micky Duck View Post
    I disagree...sit and stay CAN BE diferent commands...but sit is sit untill you are told otherwise so stay is redundant......if you need stay to MAKE the dog continue sitting,your sit isnt rock solid.
    sit can mean arse on ground...and stay lie down and wait......BOTH mean dont go anywhere untill told to.
    Stop is something I have not trained my dogs for in the past but with new pup will do so
    Stop command (to me) on a bird dog means stop (including when on point) and wait there till I come get you and release you. Also handy anywhere else you may need to stop your dog from inadvertanly coming to harm.
    Once of the worst things with my current pointers is they both have a tendancey to chase after the first shot. I don't like this personally but was my fault / poor training.
    Sit to me is neither here nor their as most of my dogs seem to pick that up as we go anyway.
    Moa Hunter, Micky Duck and Pete_D like this.

Quote Originally Posted by mimms2 View Post
    And he did it sober
    Shut up, get out & start pushing!

I don't see any point in splitting hairs about what command you use for the dog to sit and/or stay. You can use anything you like as long as the dog knows what you mean and you are consistent with it. No dogs don't speak English, but sounds are very important to the dog which picks up tone and intonation and associates that sound to what you want it to do. You don't need to use language, just tones and sounds, but as long as they are consistent.
    I also think the "leave it" command is very useful to teach them, as you can use it for anything to let the dog know you don't want it to engage with whatever the new or bad thing is ( dog, car, dead possum, rat bait etc..).
    All roads lead to Rome as long as you are consistent and establish the dogs' position in your pack ( or bubble as we seem to be using lately ). Of course since you have an older dogs already, I'm sure you are sorted on the basic obedience stuff
    Moa Hunter and Pete_D like this.

the best way to get a deer dog with a bird dog pup is to wait out the growing years, sounds like you have a head start.... as she will be a family pet more than a hunting for most of the year just work on that for the time being, slowing build in the obedience and heel work.
    mikee, Micky Duck and Pete_D like this.

lol yeah Muzza, I've seen kids that have suffered from parents not being consistent. They are usually little shitbags
    Pete_D likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Micky Duck View Post
    I disagree...sit and stay CAN BE diferent commands...but sit is sit untill you are told otherwise so stay is redundant......if you need stay to MAKE the dog continue sitting,your sit isnt rock solid.
    sit can mean arse on ground...and stay lie down and wait......BOTH mean dont go anywhere untill told to.
    i use stay, down or platz, if you have a running bird dog the stop is built off it......sit like recall are the first steps, teaching a decent stay and the start of 'whoa' training come in as you get the relationship going
    Moa Hunter, Micky Duck and Pete_D like this.

Deer dog training blueprint is top notch. Highly recommended.

Doesn't just teach you how to teach commands. It teaches you how to have a dog that understands how to behave in the human world. Oh, and how to train your dog to be a deer hunting machine.
    Pete_D likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Edunn View Post
    Deer dog training blueprint is top notch. Highly recommended.

Doesn't just teach you how to teach commands. It teaches you how to have a dog that understands how to behave in the human world. Oh, and how to train your dog to be a deer hunting machine.
    Yea that has come up a lot so will have to check it out. Do you subscribe ? for $27 per month that doesn't seem too bad.

Here's Bella, we've had her just on a week now and shes doing good. Lots of bad habits from her old uncontrolled days but between us and our old GSP shes on boot camp. Cheers
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Nice looking Hound.
    Good luck with the training.
    It a frustrating journey at times but well worth it when you start knocking over a few deer.
    Pete_D likes this.

Stunning looking dog/bitch

I got a GSP bitch back in the 80's
    She was 13 months old
    Possum killer - rabbit chaser and no training to speak of
    She turned into the best dog I had/have ever owned.
    Possum problem took some serious and painful correction (for both of us:-( - but it worked

At the end of the day - it comes down to the nature of the dog
    Bitches are much more biddable and easy to correct than males
    Good luck - she look great but as you well know they need work
    Mine was 355 days a year in bush/camp doing skins and venison
    She became a bit of a legend in the area

Nice looking girl
    I can see by how attentive she is to the bag of num nums that treats might be the way to go for breaking some of the bad habits. In the past I have used a treat word to get their attention back, just as it looks like they are about to give me the "finger" and go do what they want. I don't give them a treat but once they are paying attention to me I make sure they hear my "come" or "leave it" command. It can be a constant battle.
    Good luck
    Pete_D likes this.

Thanks Guys,.....the 'nums nums' is goat biltong being made at the time of the photo and wow that got her attention.
    rugerman likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by mimms2 View Post
    Well that's just it it. SIT means arse on the ground, STAY means don't move.
    If they're lying down and you don't have a seperate sit/stay, should they stand up then sit then stay? What if they're on point, and you want to sneak off in another direction, do they need to sit to stay?
    yes...IF YOU HAVENT TOLD THEM TO MOVE.......they dont move.....or your sit is only a pause,and we all know how that one plays out,pause becomes a semi pause then just a slow down when the heat is on. arse on ground or stationary isnt an issue if you only have to one command..its irrelevant,you have stopped dog,its handbrake is on untill released...
    on this NEVER blow stop command to end a dogfight,you dog will be savaged .

The point is obviously in reference to other dogs starting a fight that are not under control lol.
    rugerman likes this.