Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Alpine Darkness

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree94Likes

Thread: Advice on training a Vizsla that has been re-homed.

lol oh for the sake of 1 little R

You......I'm getting savaged
    your......the dog is getting it.

Now gentlemen.........as ewe were
    Micky Duck, Pete_D and stagstalker like this.

yes indeed..my bad.....many years ago travelling down country road the hippy communes german shepherd came out,across road and tore into my heading dog.....he was doing ok untill I foolishly put stop whistle on him to try to stop fight...he got a hell of a beating before I could stop it....have kicked myself for that ever since...shouldve just shot the plurry G.S. and to hell with the consequences....
    GSP HUNTER, rugerman and Pete_D like this.

Quote Originally Posted by ebf View Post
    I know nothing about training dogs, but if it is anything like most of the Vizslas some of my mates own, I'd suggest you buy a LOT of alcohol or really good drugs

They are an interesting breed.
    I shot the guri bastard I got
    dangerously ill mannered
    vicious when it couldn't get its own way.
    even the only credible breeder I talked to said they aint good duck dogs.
    I think theyre a breed for that one in a thousand dog men

I’ve got a 12 year old Vizsla sitting on the deck down stairs, wonderful dogs, amazing hunters and incredible pets. In a way I think your mate has done you a favour, as they’re a pain in the arse for a year or so. But they do require a shit tonne of exercise, which is good, because us humans do to!

The most important thing with getting a dog into hunting is normal control, the ‘here’, ‘sit’ and ‘stay’ stuff. The actual hunting thing is instinctive and comes with practice and praise.

I’m bloody tempted to do the ‘deer dog blue print’ thing on my next dog, I’ve never heart a bad thing about it; apart from the odd complaint about the price.
    rugerman and Pete_D like this.

Quote Originally Posted by craigc View Post
    I’ve got a 12 year old Vizsla sitting on the deck down stairs, wonderful dogs, amazing hunters and incredible pets. In a way I think your mate has done you a favour, as they’re a pain in the arse for a year or so. But they do require a shit tonne of exercise, which is good, because us humans do to!

The most important thing with getting a dog into hunting is normal control, the ‘here’, ‘sit’ and ‘stay’ stuff. The actual hunting thing is instinctive and comes with practice and praise.

I’m bloody tempted to do the ‘deer dog blue print’ thing on my next dog, I’ve never heart a bad thing about it; apart from the odd complaint about the price.
    That's interesting mate, talking to others and reading about them, they are still very immature until 18 months - 2 years old. Ours is about 14 months and whilst she looks fully grown still acts like a dump puppy for sure. Jumps up, mouths you etc. We've signed up the monthly 'deer dog blue print' and checking it out seems very good. The strange thing about her is going for a walk in the bush she is so well behaved, very natural, calm, keen as but doesnt run wild. Get her home and she goes bonkers again, absolutely crazy and doesn't listen. So clearly shes learnt that at home is where I fuck about and don't listen.
    craigc likes this.

we had a golden retriever huntaway cross...took him THREE YEARS before his brain enguaged.... pleased you are having some sucess....re jumping up...the very best method Ive seen and used to cure it is to step gently on back foot when ever she does it....not a stomp,not needed,just put your foot/toes on hers..she will back down immediately....
    wsm junkie and Pete_D like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Micky Duck View Post
    we had a golden retriever huntaway cross...took him THREE YEARS before his brain enguaged.... pleased you are having some sucess....re jumping up...the very best method Ive seen and used to cure it is to step gently on back foot when ever she does it....not a stomp,not needed,just put your foot/toes on hers..she will back down immediately....
    Cool, I was just about to ask re this....my 4 month old vizsla/heading dog has started jumping up....will try your suggestion

Another good method to cure the dog of jumping up, is to knee them in the chest as they jump up. After 3 or 4 times they will get the idea. Best to associate the action with a phrase like "no jumping", then when they go to do it to someone else you can tell them, and they will know what it means and not do the action