Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

DPT ZeroPak

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By Plinky
  • 1 Post By 223nut

Thread: Containment fences

Containment fences

Who has one and what do they make of them? Have seen one in the past but never had a good look at it.

We have a fence around the house but it's not 'dog proof' looking into getting an electric containment fence set up. Would need to cover about 300m of boundary. Ideally the base unit would run off a battery as we are off grid (don't want to run the inverter all day)

Some people down our street have one. It's a few metres away from the fence but not the gate. Walking the dog past them they never approach the fence but will go to the gate. Seems like they work.

Identify your target beyond all doubt because you never miss (right?) and I'll be missed.

I've never used the underground ones but I would think the dog will need to be trained to know what's going on. Otherwise if the dog goes fullbore past it, it will actually work to keep the dog off your property. Might need something above ground like a single electric fence wire ( doesn't need to be live) so the dog can see how far he can go before he feels the tingling.

I’ve used a radio fence version for about 12 years. Kept my two in the section without any problem. They learnt very quickly. No need for wires but you need to position the base unit with a bit of thought and adjust the power setting to suit. Can also string multiple ground stations together. Will run off 12volt no problem too. Get the recharging collar version though as disposable battery version costs add up. Google is your friend, Petsafe radio fence. Has run through protection which stops the dog blasting through the fence and buggering off. My two knew within inches where they could go. Cheapest place to buy is probably eBay, they’re about 700 here.
    Pengy likes this.

Thanks for the replies, already a visual fence where I want them to stop, suspect they will go through the netting and can't be arsed trying to block up all the tiny holes they could worm their way through. It's probably going to stop the 13yr old guy who couldn't be bothered but the 7yr old energiser bunny is another story!! Will keep doing some research
    rugerman likes this.

If you have rabbits those underground buried cable ones are useless. The bastards keep on digging the bloody things up and breaking the wires. (the wires are very fine and hard to re join)

Ive got a sender system etc here that you can buy if you want to give it a go.

No rabbits on Stewart island, so that's one less complication