Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Darkness Alpine

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree9Likes
  • 4 Post By Chur Bay
  • 1 Post By kiwiswede
  • 1 Post By bigbear
  • 3 Post By hunter Al.7mm08

Thread: Dog vests

Dog vests

I've been working on some basics around home with Nikau and the girls. Just general manners and to get the girls to learn to have control of him as well. Which has been great.

Soon I'll start putting in some serious long line sessions away from home, other dogs and the kids. I want to teach him that its special training between me and him and its work time. I plan to use a vest to get a message to him when the vest goes on its time to work/train/hunt.

My question is what vests do you guys use on your dogs? Do they cause the dog to run hot in the summer on the hills?
    Im a fan of blue blaze in the hills, but im worried a stoney creek fleece vest will over heat the dog.

Cheers

make one out of a high viz vest.
    Name:  20230118_090153.jpg
Views: 288
Size:  5.49 MB
    The dogs head goes through an arm hole.
    trim it up and sew on a buckle

i had a blue blaze air mesh one made from an old bush shirt basically a copy of the stoney creek fleece one......

Gone but not forgotten
    I have the Stoney Creek fleece one, I would never use it in summer.
    I have a wide hi-viz collar someone on here had made, not as visible but won’t cook the dog

Hey team, the swazi ones work well, they don't rub under the front leg like some do. Also made a hiviz collar.Name:  20221001_143123.jpg
Views: 230
Size:  79.9 KBName:  20220805_132935.jpg
Views: 229
Size:  192.0 KB

Sent from my SM-G990E using Tapatalk
    rugerman likes this.

@Projects yeah the stoney creek one will cook your dog. make one up out off the air mesh blue, wouldn't be hard to copy design.
    hunter Al.7mm08 likes this.

The problem I have found with vests is that they can get hooked up in the bush .
    Making it hard for the dog to move quietly ,or worse still stuck. I think a tight fitting harness would be better option. Possibly with a couple hiviz panels on it?. I just use a blaze orange neck gaiter on my dog now.Name:  20211011_174937.jpg
Views: 229
Size:  173.2 KB

Sent from my SM-G525F using Tapatalk

Yep Stoney creek and swazi (have both) will cook your dog. Use the SC for round camp and swazi for wet winter missions. I just cut the sleeves off free work high vis tees as neck Gaiters.

Cheers guys, All great advice. Sounds like a home made hi-vis vest is the go. I'll pull the wife's sewing machine out and have a play with an old mesh vest i think. Whether a full coat or if i can get just a half coat over the front shoulders to work.

These look really good, and could save some pig damage, if pigs are your thing.
    https://www.doggyarmour.co.uk/

Identify your target beyond all doubt because you never miss (right?) and I'll be missed.