Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Delta Darkness

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree8Likes
  • 2 Post By kbrebs
  • 1 Post By Marty Henry
  • 4 Post By Marty Henry

Thread: Dogs and ticks

Dogs and ticks

Hey guys, every single time I take my pup for a walk at my hunting block she comes home littered in ticks, I give her frontline every 6 weeks or so but as soon as I hunt her once a week I’m back to deticking. Is there anything anyone can suggest to keep the ticks deterred so this doesn’t keep happening? Cheers

Gone but not forgotten
    There must be some sort of collar you could use. A friend uses tick tags on her horses that apparently work well but I don't know if they can be used on dogs

weve just had worst lot of fleas in 25 years here...ended up doing frontline thing to get rid of them..ticks are horrid critters..possibly some sort of flea collar??? essential oils etc on dogs coat so they are not attractive to ticks??? the old trick to fix poor old Mr piggie in paddock was a cup of waste oil poured down the centre of back...pink pig was entirely black soon afterwards but lice n ticks all gone......her in doors might object when dog rubs oil n black marks on everything lol.... wonder if clean cooking oil would work??? brillcream LOL.
    75/15/10 black powder matters

Try NEXGARD

it works on my dog.

Thanks for the reply’s , will look into giving nexgaurd a whirl

Bravecto 3 month pill, works really well, doesn't take long for the ticks to drop off when dog is back home.
    rugerman and mikee like this.

Ripcord, spray bedding etc and wipe the dogs coat, gets rid of them almost instantly
    TeRei likes this.

actually,how about some of our human stuff...DO NOT suggest 98%deet that shit melts plastic..but maybe one of the lesser toxic/potent brands may give off enough repellant to help dog??
    75/15/10 black powder matters

Quote Originally Posted by Marty Henry View Post
    Ripcord, spray bedding etc and wipe the dogs coat, gets rid of them almost instantly
    Took our dogs to the beach at Awatoto a couple of summers ago. The dogs next day were smothered in ticks. Ripcord sorted it out. Not taken them back. In ears and every other orifice. Take your dogs on a farm with bulls you are likely to pick them up and consequently any deer you might shoot there.

Quote Originally Posted by Marty Henry View Post

Do you apply it neat to the dogs coat or diluted at the recommended rate ?

Dilute as for cattle, this reminded me it's time to spray the house again for spiders, flies and those bloody mason bees

It's a bit risky if the dog can lick it off.
    I believe you can use a bit of ivermectin, which like the flea stuff gets absorbed into the fat layer just under the skin and once bitten the ticks fall off.

Quote Originally Posted by Micky Duck View Post
    actually,how about some of our human stuff...DO NOT suggest 98%deet that shit melts plastic..but maybe one of the lesser toxic/potent brands may give off enough repellant to help dog??

Ivermectin and collies or collie crosses is a bad mix it can kill them, they have a mutation that makes them extremely sensitive to the drug

Quote Originally Posted by kbrebs View Post
    Bravecto 3 month pill, works really well, doesn't take long for the ticks to drop off when dog is back home.
    This ⬆️
    All those with dogs waiting no longer fear death. Those with many dogs waiting even welcome it in it's time.