Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Terminator DPT

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345
Like Tree10Likes

Thread: Councils should admister an IQ test before people can own a dog!

I must be a poor communicator because I do not remember saying that my dog was going to bite someone and hurt them.
    She loves the free fresh wind in her hair; Life without care. She's broke but it's oke; that's why the lady is a tramp.

Rule 4: Identify your target beyond all doubt

SiB
    as the owner of 3 (speyed) bitches, walking the dogs on lead in 'public' areas is an expereince. the good news is they're quick to support each each other if a dog becomes aggressive, but are perfectly happy for normal doggie inquisitiveness.

I've had two dogs attack mine over the years - first cost $1400 for work on my (dog's) shoulder after an out-of-control German shepherd ripped into it. I got crossed and threw the other dog away - owner wasn't impressed but I was annoyyed I actually didn't get details at the time.

2nd was a blue heeler coming bowling out of an unfenced property as we walk past (on lead) - skank of an owner came out and abused me! - her dog was "just protecting his street"! I was deeply moved by her hair rollers and dressing gown (it was 2pm after all) and simply said I'd release my girls if she didn't call her mutt off.

The police carry extendable batons. Unfortunately it's a Crimes Act (Offensive Weapon etc) if you carry - but I certainly carry a handy "throwing' stick that could be multi-purpose if needs be. . . .

It sthe owner who are the problem. . .

don't forget your phone can a camera and probably a 'record' function. trial by media has it's uses too (refer the Moutnain bike rider in chch)

SiB that sucks that your girls have been bullied...it's a terrible feeling hey.

I have come across the only (that I know of) class for people with reactive dogs just recently. I guess it is all a money-making game but it still astonishes me that there aren't other dog trainers who offer such a class. I've gone along with my boy as a dummy-dog (for the first four weeks the owners don't bring their reactive dogs to class, they practice techniques frowned apon by our dear Ruff such as luring, capturing and shaping with a non-reactive 'dummy' dog). I've really enjoyed helping out and hopefully the students will come away from it knowing a bit more about their dog's body language and can help to identify, minimise and isolate potentially reactive situations.

Of course if they wanted to save some time and money, they could either lock the reactive dogs up or just shoot them........
    She loves the free fresh wind in her hair; Life without care. She's broke but it's oke; that's why the lady is a tramp.

ebf
    well, I have learnt some interesting things from the posts by both Dougie and Ruff. you guys both seem really passionate about dogs & training, just coming at it from very different angles.
    tx, for the updated link to the Cesar clip, watched the first one and could not quite figure out what was happening.

so in my best Barbara Woodhouse impersonation (waaay, waay before your time Dougie )

dougie: SSSSSSSit !
    ruff: SSSSStay !

LOL EBF.... Stay is one command I never use... LOL Bugga!

Quote Originally Posted by Ruff View Post
    LOL EBF.... Stay is one command I never use... LOL Bugga!
    Hey there's something we agree on!

ebf
    you see, all is well in the world

Dougie, you should try find some of the original Barbara Woodhouse clips on utube, funny old duck that one.

"Walkies" will take on a whole new meaning

After mentioning him on another thread, I've been watching Rin Tin Tin clips and some Strongheart today

WWWWWWWWALKIES! *done in best Barbara Woodhouse voice*

Barbera Woodhouse Lovers Guide : Position #47 - YouTube

"lift leg and jerk him, which he loves"

For all the haters....

Name:  JetIntroonthewall.jpg
Views: 179
Size:  29.0 KB
    Dundee likes this.

No hate here mate... just an attempt to enlighten (Albeit futile.)

Ejected
    I've had two cases where I don't know how the dogs are still alive.
    1: Many years ago the cook was walking home from work and a dog rushed out onto the street and bit her handbag. I rung the cops and told them they had ten minutes to go sort it or I would go shoot the fucking thing myself, this of course was in the middle of Dunners, but man where they there fast.

2: Walking along a road on the oppiste side to a old rundown house getting between duckshooting spots and a pack rushed out, my dog was at heel and behaving herself. One of these fuckers nipped me on the arse, the owner was right there and saw the whole thing. So she got told if I ever saw those fucking mutts out again they would be shot.

Quote Originally Posted by SiB View Post
    The police carry extendable batons. Unfortunately it's a Crimes Act (Offensive Weapon etc) if you carry - but I certainly carry a handy "throwing' stick that could be multi-purpose if needs be. . . .

I am told a baseball bat hits the tennis ball a long way in areas dogs are allowed of the lead.... has other uses too
    Fishing ... Hunting its all good

Quote Originally Posted by leathel View Post
    I am told a baseball bat hits the tennis ball a long way in areas dogs are allowed of the lead.... has other uses too