Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

DPT Terminator

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree17Likes

Thread: Doggo's Rations on a Long Hunt

Doggo's Rations on a Long Hunt

I'm interested in how much you feed your mutt on longer hunts. No dramas on overnight or weekend hunts but I'm doing 7 days in the Southern Alps starting next weekend. Wondering if I can safely cut her back to half or two - thirds of her normal daily feed or what. I don't want the poor bitch to starve but also don't want to carry an extra couple of kg of Tucker if she doesn't need it.

At some point I'm sure we'll knock something over for camp meat and she'll get a good meaty feed. Her normal feeds at home would mean I'm carrying 126 biscuits for her. Open to thoughts and suggestions.
    "I heard Jesus did cocaine on a night out. Eyes wide-open, dialated, but he's fine now. And if his father ever finds out, then he'd probably knock his lights out...
    Gets a little messy in heaven "
    - Venbee

My bitch packs her own food and water, plus a little bit of my stuff if there's room. I usually just grab a few handfuls of dog nuts. Last trip was 4 days, fed her some venison from the stag I shot but mostly ate dog nuts and she was right. Give her a bit of my muesli bars and such when i have a snack.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
    sometimes and Dorkus like this.

Mate you don't want to cut her back on what she normally gets it's big country and she will need the energy, we took a mates dog on a 3 day a few weeks back and she was just as wrecked as we were by the end of it, and she's a huntaway/border collie not a fat lab haha. As said though you will pretty much guarantee you can knock something over for camp meat. I would take her normal rations for four days and go from there, if she's not used to fresh meat you be better feeding her half and half biscuits and a bit of meat to keep her stomach settled.
    mikee and Dorkus like this.

A long time ago when i used to do walk in trips i would make the dogs carry there own food and some of my stuff in there dog packs saddle bags

I'm quite lucky , Fern puts herself on her own diet, have taken a week's worth of food in and if lucky she has eaten 2 days in total.

Bit of a hard one, obviously camp meat will help.

Not a fan of dogs carrying their own stuff, they are not pack horses but each to their own. Maybe just take 100 biscuits

Hamish

Sent from my F8331 using Tapatalk
    Hamish
    027 5422 985
    www.hgd.co.nz

High quality dry food , like Eukanuba Working/Endurance .(no point carrying fillers etc) But I would want to start dog on it asap . Just a little bit at first , to get dog used to it . Don't want dog getting the runs whilst away .
    jakewire and Tahr like this.
    Rule 7: Avoid alcohol and drugs when handling firearms

Quote Originally Posted by HNTMAD View Post

Not a fan of dogs carrying their own stuff, they are not pack horses but each to their own. Maybe just take 100 biscuits

Hamish

Sent from my F8331 using Tapatalk
    This also, especially in the alps it's not gentle bush country, have seen dogs scrambling to keep their balance across scree slopes etc even with no pack on, you're just going to make it an unenjoyable experience for her by making her carry anything, not to mention dangerous

I've just started making them carry there own, as Ryan says it's not applicable for all areas especially thick bush.

The problem only gets worse when you have 3 of the bloody mutts! As has been said use a good quality kibble and make sure they have access to plenty of water. Can always take extra salami jerry etc for you and share.

Depending on the trip mine don't get any camp meat if they are sharing a tent with me

HaHa ive seen what fresh meat does to my pup, i also wouldnt let her share a tent but will tie her up well away

High energy food. Buy the best. My dog is 28kg and she operates on 2 cups full of Royal Canin ok.

Biscuits like Tux are heavy for their amount of energy and food value.

High energy food. Buy the best. My dog is 28kg and she operates on 2 cups full of Royal Canin ok.

Quote Originally Posted by Tahr View Post

I feed Harley Mighty Mix dry biscuits (23g each) she has 9 biscuits twice daily which keeps her in very good nick. She's about 28kg too
    "I heard Jesus did cocaine on a night out. Eyes wide-open, dialated, but he's fine now. And if his father ever finds out, then he'd probably knock his lights out...
    Gets a little messy in heaven "
    - Venbee

My 38kg grey hound gets 2 cups morning 2 cups at night of working dog coprice, I take what he normally gets when in the bush, and he feeds himself extra rabbits possums etc

Quote Originally Posted by Blisters View Post
    My 38kg grey hound gets 2 cups morning 2 cups at night of working dog coprice, I take what he normally gets when in the bush, and he feeds himself extra rabbits possums etc
    took my dogs off that stuff found they were shitting heaps with it dirty big shits which I was told means the foods just full of fillers

It sucks carrying a heap of extra weight in dog biscuits. Has anyone tried making beef jerky for the dogs to eat. Beng a farmer I kill injured cattle every now and again so I was going to try it.