Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

DPT ZeroPak

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree10Likes

Thread: Dogs paws munted from shingle

My cattle dog X gets a fair bit of hill time on the Nth Canterbury tops and although she has got tough pads, if it's a big long day on mainly rocks/scree it's pretty hard on those pads!

BRADS is onto it!! Good stuff.

Ive used insulation tape out on the hill to help dog with raw paws keep going and limp along beside me for trip home....I reckon its the heat as much as the rocks them selves.
    mikee likes this.

After doing a trip from rangi to Longview years ago our labs paws were bad grandad told us to rub rawleigehs on for man or beast it seemed to work ok , not sure about harden but healed them up quick .

Yep use that Pad Spray BRADS suggested, used that on my GSP's hooves all the time. Salt water too keep them clean. If you can, run him on a gravel road, this helps harden the pads considerably, and also keeps their claws short. I had issues with my GSP breaking claws in shingle if they got too long.
    I'm drawn to the mountains and the bush, it's where life is clear, where the world makes the most sense.

What Josh said, the old man used to run his dogs up the gravel road for a short run everyday after winter to prep them for mustering.
    Shut up, get out & start pushing!

Quote Originally Posted by kiwijames View Post
    Hey. I took my dog (GSP) up a shingle river overnight and being a GSP he just couldn’t slow down. We knew he was going to be a little hurt but didn’t think he would run himself so hard. His pads are tender but not too bad. The softer skin around the pad and between the claws though has be rubbed raw where the sharp rocks have gotten in.
    I’m keeping it all clean and he’s not wanting to do too much so is healing.
    Is there anything else I should do? If it looks even slightly like it’s getting infected I’ll take him to the vet but so far it doesn’t look like it. I’m just feeling sorry for the poor guy.
    I’m also wondering if there’s anything else I can do to stop it getting this bad again.
    You can get little leather paw covers for your furry friend. Called dog booties, this web site has an apt catch phrase, Go Further.

Explains Ben Franklin's proverb: A genius without education is like a dog without shoes.