Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Delta DPT

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree22Likes
  • 3 Post By chindit
  • 1 Post By 257weatherby
  • 4 Post By 2post
  • 4 Post By rugerman
  • 1 Post By Micky Duck
  • 2 Post By 257weatherby
  • 2 Post By rugerman

Thread: Freedom of a dog hunter

Freedom of a dog hunter

Hi there!
    I had a heated discussion about hunting with the dogs with my colleague. We seem to be of two different mindsets. He thinks that his hunting dog should have absolute freedom and take little responsibility for possible actions like killing chickens or trespassing. I think that according to the art and current regulations, if you want to let dogs loose in the field, and especially to hunt with them, you have to train them in such a way that they come when called. If you are not able to raise dogs in such a way, in my opinion, use a leash. If pup chokes chickens in the village a kilometer away from the owner, then Garmin GPS can make it easier to follow the dog, and then to pay for the poultry and possibly pay a fine. What do you think?

Most dogs used for deer in NZ are trained to a very high standard. Your colleague needs shooting and the dog re-homed although its possibly too late for the mutt. So the dog wanders around killing whatever wherever it wants. Imagine the farmer with the dead sheep in the paddock. What about the parents and toddler that was in the wrong place doing something like feeding his /her chooks that has his face ripped off by the dog in a killing frenzy. Tell him to sort the dog out by chaining training or shooting it. Some people do not deserve dogs. Welcome to the forum
    rugerman, Micky Duck and OPO like this.

sneakywaza I got
    Quote Originally Posted by HocusPocus View Post
    Hi there!
    I had a heated discussion about hunting with the dogs with my colleague. We seem to be of two different mindsets. He thinks that his hunting dog should have absolute freedom and take little responsibility for possible actions like killing chickens or trespassing. I think that according to the art and current regulations, if you want to let dogs loose in the field, and especially to hunt with them, you have to train them in such a way that they come when called. If you are not able to raise dogs in such a way, in my opinion, use a leash. If pup chokes chickens in the village a kilometer away from the owner, then Garmin GPS can make it easier to follow the dog, and then to pay for the poultry and possibly pay a fine. What do you think?
    Dog turns up on my place being like "your mates dog" I'm shooting the dog, and then giving it's owner a hiding.
    Micky Duck likes this.

My troll alarm is going off.
    tetawa, rugerman, kidmac42 and 1 others like this.
    Remember the 7 “P”s; Pryor Preparation Prevents Piss Poor Performance.

I have had a couple of dogs turn up at my place. Lucky for them they didn't try to chomp my sheep, as shooting a dog would be my last resort, but if it was attacking my sheep I would still do the deed. I would then put 100% of the blame on the owner ( if I ever found them).
    If you have dogs you are 100% responsible for what they do 100% of the time. Sounds like your "mate" is a "couldn't give a shit" type

Ring Vladimir Putin. His troops are now known as the world leaders in spanking people who do naughty things. They would sort out your mate so much that he would never go near a dog again.

dog under control,cannot go and kill chickens.....if your dog can kill chickens,its NOT under control...as has been said,could just as easy be someones kid.
    Ive had dogs kill chickens...but the immediate discipline that followed made damn sure it was a one off thing.
    a hunting dog hunts "with you and for you" not alone for itself.a hedgehog in the section or cat that jumps over fence into dogs yard,or slow blackbird ripping up the garden are acceptable for me.....the cat gets a hurry up and bugger off.... hedgehogs NORMALLY get bailed...blackbirds normally fast enough to get out of way but every now and then one zigs when shouldve zagged and dog catches them LOL.
    rugerman likes this.

sneakywaza I got
    Acceptable casualties......

Long time ago in another life, I had Siberian Huskies (for racing) on a 1/4 acre hill section. 6 foot fences with a wire 2 foot top up. Neighbors had a cat that liked to cross the back yard cause it was too lazy/stupid/ignorant to go around. At tea time, the dogs were normally in their compound, but one day they were not.......

Cat took his normal shortcut across the section at his normal arrogant stroll, above the dogs compound, looking down at them with it's normal insolence as it went, but this day, the gate was not closed....... The cat never made it out, the dogs having trapped it and then killed it, then proceeded to eat it. The neighbors were at the table eating tea at the time, looking out the window into our back yard above their house. Stripped to a few bits of fur and bone in seconds while they watched. Eating their tea.

Neighborly relations, never great, went down the toilet on the spot, helped by my complete intransigence about any kind of sanction, they had been warned it would happen, my dogs could open up and hollow out a hedgehog in seconds and do it in complete silence, a cat was always going to be much more fun. I considered that a legitimate kill.

None of those dogs ever got loose, because their humans took responsibility for them.
    rugerman and Micky Duck like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Mohawk .308 View Post
    The pup choking chickens is a bit of a giveaway
    And not the name?

I don't know mate, everyone chokes the chicken every now and again. Even you married guys

Quote Originally Posted by Mohawk .308 View Post
    The pup choking chickens is a bit of a giveaway
    257weatherby and #the creeper like this.