Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Alpine ZeroPak

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree24Likes

Thread: Good dog for a first timer?

GSP s are not for first time dog IMO , I'm onto third one and still trying to get it right . Sounds like a lab be perfect . End of the day your choice , 16 yrs with a poor choice of dog can be a drag . Just my 2 cents worth .
    Pointer, mucko and stingray like this.
    Rule 7: Avoid alcohol and drugs when handling firearms

Is that because they need a lot of training?

Sent from my GT-I9100T using Tapatalk 2

Lab

If your prepared to put in the hard work then a pointer will be awesome. they are full on thou. i have a wirehair x gsp/ep and she is a lovely dog but i got caught out under estermating her prey drive. i got given some great advice from guys on here as well as her breeder and i enjoy her more everyday, very loyal very smart and quite easy to train. just have to be consistant day in and day out. loves the water as well. real keen to please.

Awesome cheers, i like labs as well but how can you be sure your getting a well bred dog, everyone seems to claim they are well bred, is it a bit hit and miss? Most labs ive seen seem to be fat and lazy haha

Make contact with some field trial people. They are really helpful and passionate.
    All those with dogs waiting no longer fear death. Those with many dogs waiting even welcome it in it's time.

Normally Auckland for work, temporarily deployed to UK, St Arnaud on leave
    Quote Originally Posted by DXROLLA View Post
    Awesome cheers, i like labs as well but how can you be sure your getting a well bred dog, everyone seems to claim they are well bred, is it a bit hit and miss? Most labs ive seen seem to be fat and lazy haha

What did the owners look like?
    Pointer and Munsey like this.

The owners probably were fat and lazy as well haha. I think i have narrowed the search dowm to a gsp or lab, lab probably being the best choice for what we need but just worried about finding one thats well bred. I love the look of the english pointer as above and the gsps + viszla but maybe too much work for a beginner?

Quote Originally Posted by DXROLLA View Post
    The owners probably were fat and lazy as well haha. I think i have narrowed the search dowm to a gsp or lab, lab probably being the best choice for what we need but just worried about finding one thats well bred. I love the look of the english pointer as above and the gsps + viszla but maybe too much work for a beginner?

Couple of 'points'...

I think out of the breeds you have mentioned the lab and the pointer (talking working strains of both here) will be the most instinctive, and therefore in the right hands the easiest to work with. However, both are bred for very different jobs! What do you need your dog to do? I don't think the pointer is it.

First point, being your first dog, get a mentor. Someone with experience in that breed, on the task you plan to use it on.
    That said I don't think you need a pointing breed personally; but if you do read on....

My second point is, While I can name individuals of both the Vizsla and the GSP I really like, there isn't anyone with a kennel producing consistent dogs that I'd recommend. @RCGSP has left NZ, which is a shame as I liked the GSPs he was producing. Have you given thought to a wirehair? There's really only one wirehair kennel worth talking to about in NZ, and for a pointing breed for deer and ducks I think they are pretty neat. PM @kawhia to speak about the breed, I really like the dogs I've seen from his kennel
    mucko and teFerrarri like this.

any sort of dog requires time,time and more time spent training or actual hunting the end result is a reflection of that.
    labs and the various lab crosses seem to have a good following and depending on the individual can provide a decent companion/hunting mate......... for whatever reason unless you have a breed in mind and a passion to see it reach it's breed potential most pups will grow to suit your current needs regardless of the pedigree or lack of.

Yeah im really in two minds of what to get, i really like the look of the vizsla and how athletic they are, but on the other hand i dont want to ruin the dog if for what ever reason we get busy during the calving season or something that we cant exercise it enough. So in that case maybe a lab would be a better option? But than finding the right breeder. Lots to think about, lucky were not in a hurry haha.

Quote Originally Posted by Pointer View Post
    Couple of 'points'...

First point, being your first dog, get a mentor. Someone with experience in that breed, on the task you plan to use it on.
    That said I don't think you need a pointing breed personally;
    On this point about getting a mentor is there any one on here from around the christchurch/canterbury area that has a working lab or gsp or vizsla that wouldnt mind me coming and having a look/showing me how they are.

Gidday DXROLLA,
    I don't know of any Viszla breeders down your way but there's a few here in the Waikato.I got mine as a 6wk pup and now at 4yrs she is really coming into her own.I chose the breed because I wanted a hunting dog that could walk as far as I could,hunt whatever I chose to seek that day and be great with kids when at home.She does all the above.I'm no expert so the dog and I have learnt together and we are now a good team,I think she might be the brains sometimes.Really rate the Viszla's,very high energy levels(you can't wear them out!)great temperament,totally loyal and personality plus(you will need a sense of humour)but as she gets older the better she gets and she loves helicopter rides!
    Hope this helps,good luck with whatever breed you decide.

Cheers Carl, do you have a routine you try and stick to for training/exercise?

Anyone know much about these breeders? Only ones i can find in ChCh
    http://www.debrecan.co.nz/
    Last edited by DXROLLA; 19-05-2014 at 10:57 PM.

Not really,she goes for walks/runs with the wife around town and bush walks if we aren't hunting for a bit.They will adapt quickly to whatever lifestyle you have.If you hunt regularly they are awesome,if you don't they seem to be able to switch it on when you need them to.Mine is able to go from a deep sleep to a bouncing,talking(dog speak ha ha)ball of energy with a rattle of the gunsafe keys!....dig out the daypack and she's waiting by the ute dribbling.We've learnt as we've gone along,which while not ideal,is fine if thats what time allows.The key to be patient and laugh at each other coz it's not her fault all the time.They are a gentle nature and can become timid if handled too hard so a raised voice is all thats needed and they learn real quick.....too smart for their own good sometimes.Extremely loyal and will guard your house or hut but only barks,no bites.When hunting mine won't go more than 20 metres in front while walking in,10m when stalking and if she loses sight of me she will always come back to find me rather than carrying on for miles.