Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

ZeroPak Alpine

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree27Likes

Thread: GSP Pup - Training Material

GSP Pup - Training Material

Evening Everyone,
    Me and the Mrs have just bought a GSP Pup, for and adventure/ deer dog (hopefully...).
    Anyone have any good training material to recommend, Books, You tube, etc??
    Cheers
    Name:  Ralphie.JPG
Views: 322
Size:  461.4 KB
    rugerman likes this.

do a search for Standing Stone Kennels on youtube.
    JoshC and John P like this.
    All those with dogs waiting no longer fear death. Those with many dogs waiting even welcome it in it's time.

You’ve opened a massive fan of worms, be prepared for all sorts of contrasting opinions. One option is the Deerdog blueprint. It is a video based training programme specifically tailored to NZ hunting with deer dogs. Some love it, others want it burnt to the ground.
    The big thing is focus on the basics, sit, stay, come, heel, stop. Don’t rush, be prepared to go back a few steps. Definitely don’t rush your dog into the bush.
    tetawa, rugerman, mikee and 3 others like this.

Have had 3 GSP’s, all good bloodlines and all trained to be all rounders. Our current one is 5 months old. All were/are vastly different in character. The biggest things you need to get sorted with them is recall, stop, sit etc. The basics. They can be so prey driven if you don’t have the basics sorted you might as well yell at a rock.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I'm drawn to the mountains and the bush, it's where life is clear, where the world makes the most sense.

Quote Originally Posted by stug View Post
    You’ve opened a massive fan of worms, be prepared for all sorts of contrasting opinions. One option is the Deerdog blueprint. It is a video based training programme specifically tailored to NZ hunting with deer dogs. Some love it, others want it burnt to the ground.
    The big thing is focus on the basics, sit, stay, come, heel, stop. Don’t rush, be prepared to go back a few steps. Definitely don’t rush your dog into the bush.
    Thanks mate,
    Ive been reading a few posts on here regarding Deer dog Blueprint, and general consensus seems to be that it works well. At the risk of opening an even bigger can of worms.... is the hate regarding the material itself, or the guy producing it? It certainly seems to be a bit of a polarising topic anyway....

hate is both..... and not really valid....MY PERSONAL feelings are that it would be good for someone who will follow it through and has the spare $$$$ to afford it...myself I would rather wing it and use my previous experience with dogs to get them to do what I want,some of the hate is people venting as he has made money by putting together lots of teaching from lots of places to put out what he has...many folks have done same thing.
    agree 100% get a rock solid no bullshit stop command and DO NOT let up on it for one second..the single hardest thing is to get other people to shut the hell up,when my dog is told to sit..it sits,and stays sitting untill plurry well told otherwise....it is a get out of jail card.... solid sit recall and get in behind will cover most things.
    75/15/10 black powder matters

Quote Originally Posted by JoshC View Post
    Have had 3 GSP’s, you might as well yell at a rock.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    yip that about sums it up......love them to bits other than the shivering and whine

you gve a gsp a inch and they,l wipe the floor with you .
    consistent repetive but keep it interesting with new stuff to
    they pick up things fast but no shortcuts would be my best advice

Quote Originally Posted by Micky Duck View Post
    hate is both..... and not really valid....MY PERSONAL feelings are that it would be good for someone who will follow it through and has the spare $$$$ to afford it...myself I would rather wing it and use my previous experience with dogs to get them to do what I want,some of the hate is people venting as he has made money by putting together lots of teaching from lots of places to put out what he has...many folks have done same thing.
    agree 100% get a rock solid no bullshit stop command and DO NOT let up on it for one second..the single hardest thing is to get other people to shut the hell up,when my dog is told to sit..it sits,and stays sitting untill plurry well told otherwise....it is a get out of jail card.... solid sit recall and get in behind will cover most things.
    Cheers Micky.
    This will be my first time training a dog, so i think i will use the blueprint (for the most part, he will also be a pet/mate as well, so dont want to turn him into a robot, which ive read from other posts can be an issue), ive been listening to a few of his podcasts, and sounds like he knows what hes talking about.

Quote Originally Posted by mikee View Post
    do a search for Standing Stone Kennels on youtube.
    Thanks for the tip mate.
    Ive been watching a heap of their videos after your suggestion, Awesome resource!

Quote Originally Posted by John P View Post
    Thanks for the tip mate.
    Ive been watching a heap of their videos after your suggestion, Awesome resource!
    I found them useful, more for ideas and I don't even have a GSP
    All those with dogs waiting no longer fear death. Those with many dogs waiting even welcome it in it's time.

it would be a hard hard owner who can turn a GSP into a robot..... Ive owned a couple of crosses and hard as nails comes to mind.
    get your basic big three commands... sit, come here, get in behind closely followed by LEAVE IT...now there is a "yelling at rocks" command if ever there was one!
    and you wont go far wrong.
    now WHY I say a rock solid no bullshit SIT is your get out of jail card is this...anytime dog starts to go wrong,drop that furry arse onto the dirt,it gives you time to correct dog before it turns to crap...it may also save dogs life if heading to cross road or jump fence etc. but please do not use it if in a dog fight,they will get monstered and you will never forgive yourself.
    mikee and John P like this.

it would be a hard hard owner who can turn a GSP into a robot..... Ive owned a couple of crosses and hard as nails comes to mind.
    get your basic big three commands... sit, come here, get in behind closely followed by LEAVE IT...now there is a "yelling at rocks" command if ever there was one!
    and you wont go far wrong.
    now WHY I say a rock solid no bullshit SIT is your get out of jail card is this...anytime dog starts to go wrong,drop that furry arse onto the dirt,it gives you time to correct dog before it turns to crap...it may also save dogs life if heading to cross road or jump fence etc. but please do not use it if in a dog fight,they will get monstered and you will never forgive yourself.
    a god stop is essential for any dog
    anytime anywhere the ability to drop a dog on the spot can be a life saver for them and a super essiential test of control and progress
    Micky Duck likes this.

Fruedian slip perhaps????....Im sure Ive uttered a few blasphemous words at non stopping dog...ok ok ok I ll admit it they were more than likely yelled at top of lungs...what was that earlier comment??? yelling at rock maybe.
    gsp follower likes this.

Fruedian slip perhaps????....Im sure Ive uttered a few blasphemous words at non stopping dog...ok ok ok I ll admit it they were more than likely yelled at top of lungs...what was that earlier comment??? yelling at rock maybe.
    yup thats the repitition stop them close untill rock steady even with hares erupting under thier noses
    work up to medium makin them wait till your ready to release them
    if they dont stop but carry on or come back to you
    take them to the spot and get your messsage across firmly but fairly
    repeat repeat repeat untill you get complete control at to lany distance .
    my next dog is getting the full treatment no half arse rush jobs cos t need a bird revovey tool.
    by cheating the process you only cheat the dog and ultimatly yourself
    Micky Duck likes this.