Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Delta ZeroPak

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree53Likes

Thread: menacing dog classification

menacing dog classification

has anyone here had their hunting dog classed as menacing by their council and how did you go about objecting the classification?
    long story short the hound got out the door while we were getting in the groceries a couple weeks back and went to the neighbors and grabbed and killed one of their chickens and now I have a letter from the council telling me he must be muzzled everywhere outside his kennel and must be desexed and microchipped by the council with all relevant paperwork from a vet to show this has been done.
    I haven't been asked for a statement or even had a conversation with the people from the council so for them to knee jerk to that conclusion seems very extreme to me.

Tell the council rep to come meet said dog and family to then judge for themselves. Seems extreme to me

Good luck !
    Councils NZ wide are renowned for prosecuting dog owners in spite of evidence proving good history etc etc.
    Chooks/Rabbit/Guinea pigs are all of a higher value in the eyes of the councils and courts.
    They have a legal phrase as a get out. Strict Liability. This has been used (mis used) for years and was challenged to the highest level by a close friend. The legal eagles stick to their guns
    tetawa and Russian 22. like this.
    Forgotmaboltagain+1

For the problems ahead it might be easier and less costly to euth the animal and get another....you will not win the fight with council.

Once they grab something off your property it's impossible to win a argument with the council. Should be micro-chipped so can be identified. Have also spayed and neutered all my hunting dogs for last 40 years, always enough other guys breeding out there.

Quote Originally Posted by DavidGunn View Post
    For the problems ahead it might be easier and less costly to euth the animal and get another....you will not win the fight with council.
    No offense but what a load, euthanizing the dog is not the answer. Cats kill chickens are they menacing?

I would ask the council if they have an objection process for their classifications. That would be your only hope I would think. At the end of the day the dog left your property, entered someone elses and killed one of their animals. If you can convince the council you have put serious steps in place to stop it happening again. I would have been straight over to the neighbours when it happened to make amends to stop it getting to the council in the first place. As mentioned once they set the wheels in motion they will be using your rates money to fight you in court. That's a lose/lose
    tetawa and Micky Duck like this.

Similar thing happened to me, dogs went next door and murdered a chicken, still think the woman that lived there let the dogs in to create a drama. Council response same as yours although they were already desexed and chipped. Muzzles to leave property and license fees double or thereabouts for the next couple of years. Got told by the dog control guy if it happened again they’d be destroyed - he was a decent bloke just doing his job. Three of them turned up in two utes wearing body armour, took dogs away to the pound. Several hundred dollars to bail them out. Pity human crims aren’t dealt with so aggressively.
    tetawa, Pengy, timattalon and 6 others like this.

Have a read of the relevant act for yourself. Read it slowly and break it down to identify the points.
    Unfortunately, the dog killed someone elses animal. . They have grounds for complaint.
    My dog has been a victim of a dog attack. Unfortunate circumstances but still the owner had his dogs off leash. By the letter of the law he was at fault. They did rush and attack My dog. My dog was ok but should not have happened. He was fined.
    Been authorised under several acts in different departments. My Council role was the shortest tenure.
    We had a menacing dog and dangerous dog classification. Both can be kept but there are conditions.
    If your dog did the crime and you know it accept it or ask for a dispute resolution process. If it reoffend s they might push to the letter of the law.
    Nothing against you it wasn't planned but the chook owner isn't liable for an offence. Their animal was attacked.
    Don't bring cats into it. The laws are not strict enough on cats or responsibility.
    I can only speak for my state legislation in Australia.
    I knew the rules pretty well at the time but the "Contract Rangers" took themselves to seriously.
    bigbear likes this.

The dog should already be micro chipped that is a requirement nationally. As for desexing if your not wanting to breed could be a good option. Work with the dog ranger otherwise they will uplift the dog then you have even more problems

Gone but not forgotten
    Quote Originally Posted by 7mmwsm View Post
    Dogs don't have to be chipped.
    They do in some districts, Waikato DC I think it’s all dogs over 3 or 6 months of age

Edit: not compulsory for farm or working dogs unless they get impounded

Quote Originally Posted by DavidGunn View Post
    You don't euth a dog because it is inconvenient.

What about just moving the dog onto somewhere else, like down south to a mates farm or something. It isn't chipped, and dogs don't have a serial number, so..........

Get a new dog.

PITA though.
    Russian 22. likes this.

The dog wasn't under control unfortunately. How old is the dog? Young? How's the training been?
    tetawa, rugerman and Danny like this.

Same thing happened to a friend, dog got over to neighbours and kill a chicken or 2. The council made her get the dog put down at her expense.
    When hunting think safety first