Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Terminator ZeroPak

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree31Likes
  • 7 Post By Bobba
  • 8 Post By Tahr
  • 5 Post By Woody
  • 1 Post By Micky Duck
  • 1 Post By JMan23
  • 7 Post By Tahr
  • 1 Post By JMan23
  • 1 Post By Barry the hunter

Thread: GWP - training advice

GWP - training advice

To cut a long story short here. About a year ago my wife got me a GWP puppy he’s 14 months now,during a rough patch as some company. I thought I was going to be able to get on top of unwanted behaviours but he is bloody driven and head strong. So I’m just seeing if anyone with more experience has the training advice required. Yes we run an e-collar this came about from him bolting as a pup.

1 - Range, he is getting the picture around staying in range but will constantly push his boundary’s out, where I am constantly on his case.

2 - excitement / noisy, once he gets in to a scent he starts getting too excited and working too fast and really pushing his boundaries

3 - chasing - it’s 50/50 whether he’s going to get on point or chase in fact it was very clear this afternoon once he got on to a scent that he wanted to chase it down.

If I can get these 3 thing sorted then he should come right and actually hunt with me.

Welcome to the forum Jman. When you have a minute head over the intro page and tell us a bit about yourself.

I went through the exact same issues with my boy. All started off really well then hit that 12 month mark and became a real shit just like a normal teenager and it might be another year before he calms down. My boy was two when he really got me the first deer. Youll go through a stage of him finding you more deer but getting to excited at last minute and spooking them.

All I can really say is it takes time and a whole lot of patience, be consistent with your commands and don't give up but most importantly just enjoy being out in the bush with your best mate.
    tetawa, rugerman, Woody and 4 others like this.

Use a long line.
    Out beyond ideas of wrongdoing, and right-doing, there is a field. I will meet you there.
    - Rumi

I've had four GWP over the years. I am npt far from you so PM me and I may be able to help a little.
    Tahr, rugerman, Ross Nolan and 2 others like this.
    Summer grass
    Of stalwart warriors splendid dreams
    the aftermath.

Matsuo Basho.

longline...
    Poppy is half GWP quarter lab quarter heading dog
    SO FAR touch wood range hasnt been an issue she likes to be beside my leg..but today in rain she got case of the zoomies..decided rushing around like demented twit in wet tussocks was fun...as we were in plod mode,not hunting mode it was OK.... when Im switched into quiet walk and look mode she happy to do same.
    use that long line..the e collar is line of last resort and used wrongly at wrong time can cause irripairable damage..... you dont want to put out the "spark" its arguably eaiser to tone down hunting drive than it is to try to install it...unfortunately dogs dont come with input slot for a SD CARD..either they want to hunt of they dont.
    longline
    rugerman likes this.
    75/15/10 black powder matters

Thanks Bobba. Some behaviours have come in time most definitely. A lot longer than I initially thought however

Thanks Woody I will flick ya a message a appreciate any advice.

Thanks Mickey, the E collar came about really for excercise. He was on a long line from about 4 months to 9 months old and found that 2 walks a day on the long line just did not cut the mustard for him and he needed to stretch his legs.
    I took advice from some people I met in the parks for this (same breeds and an issue they both struggled with) and it was mostly for recall at a distance but we are now about 80%-90% recall on the whistle. The progress made over a weekend with the collar was fantastic. We did one session in the yard and one session in the park with the long line.
    He definitely doesn’t need the hunting installed but as you say toning down.
    Micky Duck likes this.

We used to say about young unruly huntaways "its better to have no brakes than no motor".

It all takes time and while they are young there is balance to be achieved between control and allowing them some hunting confidence.
    7mmwsm, rugerman, erniec and 4 others like this.
    Out beyond ideas of wrongdoing, and right-doing, there is a field. I will meet you there.
    - Rumi

Quote Originally Posted by Tahr View Post
    We used to say about young unruly huntaways "its better to have no brakes than no motor".

It all takes time and while they are young there is balance to be achieved between control and allowing them some hunting confidence.
    this a thousand times......
    75/15/10 black powder matters

And most definitely do not want to break the motor and confidence. Although he can be a steam roller sometimes.
    Tahr likes this.

dead right Thar- I watched a big young huntaway on east coast rip down a ridge just simply barking his head off -no brakes no control- about 9 months old - what a bark - won a number of NZ titles later in life - he really had the motor - and his owner could see that
    Micky Duck likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Woody View Post
    I've had four GWP over the years. I am npt far from you so PM me and I may be able to help a little.
    Hi Woody,
    Share your knowledge here please, I'd like to learn to.
    Maybe I could teach my young wee buddy a thing or 2. thanks