Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

ZeroPak Alpine

User Tag List

Like Tree7304Likes

Thread: Photos of your dog

Quote Originally Posted by upnorth uplander View Post
    what black pointer are you talking about Dougie
    Last few pics. He's a pointer...right??
    She loves the free fresh wind in her hair; Life without care. She's broke but it's oke; that's why the lady is a tramp.

Rule 4: Identify your target beyond all doubt

german shorthaired pointer

Quote Originally Posted by R93 View Post
    Why is the tail docked where it is on the black n white? The liver seems to have a shorter tail. Very handsome animals by the way.
    Can't answer why the difference of tail length with those two , but it seems to be the trend to dock the tails longer now ,.personally I like the longer docked tails .

Quote Originally Posted by upnorth uplander View Post
    german shorthaired pointer
    actually he's a german short hair or deutsch kurzhaar not a gsp............ if you are gonna get anal that is.

Quote Originally Posted by R93 View Post
    Why is the tail docked where it is on the black n white? The liver seems to have a shorter tail. Very handsome animals by the way.
    Thank you. The liver bitch's tail is not as short as it appears in the picture, it's just kinda bent back. Her tail is about the same length proportionately as the his.

The tails are docked where they are so that they are short enough that they are not damaged when working heavy cover and long enough that they can wag it etc. The general rule is to leave 1/2-5/8

Munsey is correct in that the trend is moving towards longer tails. I'm not sure the logic behind the change but I'm not concerned as long as they aren't so long they start cutting up their tails. I've had a full tailed dog before and it was a nightmare. I won't have another one.

He's a pointer...right??

Haha...an easy mistake to make from a picture like that. GSPs with a lot of white on them are rather uncommon here and black and white ones with that much white are non-existent so I can understand the confusion as it's normally a pointer pattern/color. That pattern is much more common in Germany and even more common in the US.

Quote Originally Posted by kawhia View Post
    actually he's a german short hair or deutsch kurzhaar not a gsp............ if you are gonna get anal that is.
    yep being anal, so what is he registered here as then

a gsp

I forgot the old fart

R93
    Quote Originally Posted by RCGSP View Post
    Thank you. The liver bitch's tail is not as short as it appears in the picture, it's just kinda bent back. Her tail is about the same length proportionately as the his.

The tails are docked where they are so that they are short enough that they are not damaged when working heavy cover and long enough that they can wag it etc. The general rule is to leave 1/2-5/8

Munsey is correct in that the trend is moving towards longer tails. I'm not sure the logic behind the change but I'm not concerned as long as they aren't so long they start cutting up their tails. I've had a full tailed dog before and it was a nightmare. I won't have another one.

Haha...an easy mistake to make from a picture like that. GSPs with a lot of white on them are rather uncommon here and black and white ones with that much white are non-existent so I can understand the confusion as it's normally a pointer pattern/color. That pattern is much more common in Germany and even more common in the US.

I would still consider it too long for the coast. Too much gorse. I prefer a wee bit shorter. As long as I can see/read it when he is hunting.

Quote Originally Posted by kawhia View Post
    a gsp

and GSP is a short version of what then, if we are being anal

a german short hair pointer, so tell me how come your pointer's tail don't stand up in the 12 o clock position ?

mmmmmm now let me think

yanky dog--tail looks weird--the John Holmes of tails

yanky dog ?............ but hang on it's a pointer isn't it ?