Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

DPT Delta

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree14Likes

Thread: Ponsonby Gundogs in Hawke's Bay

What if the dogs available now and you want it. Get it and start spending time with it then when you re ready hunt it then ?
    You can start hiding stuff from it plus getting your command lines sorted before you go bush Dunno just a thought if the dogs not too old who cares if you own it for a year before hunting it ??
    "This is my Flag... Ill only have the one ..

Funny thing is Phil, when and where we have been its bush hunting. Half ( more than half) the time the buggers are there looking at us walk past. So its not like your in the wrong spot or theres no deer. They are just wily and its hard to get one in the thick shit without spooking it or it gapping it before you know its there.
    Every time I have been with Two-shot (every time) we have either seen them or put them up and they run off.
    So as I said they are where you have been.
    Not saying get or not but they can be bloody handy.

If it's free get it . . .
    So long as your Mum is happy to look after while you chase Keas.

Ejected
    If he was to hunt with this dog with other hunters who already have hunting dogs will it pick up the skills faster?
    Just curious as every time we get a new dog it learns off the older ones much quicker so I'm assuming its the same in the bush?

Quote Originally Posted by Gibo View Post
    Funny thing is Phil, when and where we have been its bush hunting. Half ( more than half) the time the buggers are there looking at us walk past. So its not like your in the wrong spot or theres no deer. They are just wily and its hard to get one in the thick shit without spooking it or it gapping it before you know its there.
    Every time I have been with Two-shot (every time) we have either seen them or put them up and they run off.
    So as I said they are where you have been.
    Not saying get or not but they can be bloody handy.
    Yeah that's true. I smell deer when I'm out pretty frequently. They are there for sure

Sent from my MT27i using Tapatalk 2
    Yeah nah bro

Rule 4: Identify your target beyond all doubt.

Do it mate especially if its from good lines and as long as you get out hunting enough to justify having the dog and are prepared to put in the time and effort to train it then you should get a good result, like brads said though if you can't reliably put deer in front of it then maybe not... But you will know yourself if your upto it I'd say? I went through the same thoughts and waited for ages before I got my pup but am really enjoying the training part and seeing him progress
    Heaps of knowledgeable people on here if you get stuck to mate, just my 2 cents

Mates mother got Weimaraner re home . Prob show lines but am checking up as they are well bred but which way ?
    Rule 7: Avoid alcohol and drugs when handling firearms

Hunting ! If there is such a thing anymore ? I'm not qualified to judge weis

Quote Originally Posted by Happy View Post
    What if the dogs available now and you want it. Get it and start spending time with it then when you re ready hunt it then ?
    You can start hiding stuff from it plus getting your command lines sorted before you go bush Dunno just a thought if the dogs not too old who cares if you own it for a year before hunting it ??
    Happy makes a fair point. I mean, if I get a solid heel on it and all the work you put in before taking a dog bush will it be a problem if it's a bit slower learning what it's all about? What do you guys think?

Honestly though i'm keen I would prefer to wait and start one later just thinking this opportunity isn't open forever and with the summer break coming up it'll be six months old and I'll have lots of time to work with him.

Yeah nah bro

If you want one ....Get one....... Only you can make the decision on weather you are ready and have the time.
    Within reason it wont matter which of the breeds you go with, your time in will predict the outcome of a successful hunting dog
    Barefoot, Happy and Gibo like this.

Strange to tell I know a bit about these folks. They have the litter sister to a dog I used to own. A black pointer bitch. They took her with them when they moved to NZ.
    phillipgr likes this.

Nice

Quote Originally Posted by des oneile View Post

Strange to tell I know a bit about these folks. They have the litter sister to a dog I used to own. A black pointer bitch. They took her with them when they moved to NZ.
    Tis a small country Des... As you know a forum member and myself tried very hard to get pups put of her with two respective dogs, sadly she was too old and cycled irregularly. The other forum member mentioned also ran on one of her daughters for a while

It's a very small world

Yeah nah bro

Nor West of Auckland on the true right of the Kaipara River
    Quote Originally Posted by phillipgr View Post
    It's a very small world

Bloody hell Phillip, now I have that Disney theme song on auto repeat in my head.
    It takes 43 muscle's to frown and 17 to smile, but only 3 for proper trigger pull.
    What more do we need? If we are above ground and breathing the rest is up to us!
    Rule 1: Treat every firearm as loaded
    Rule 2: Always point firearms in a safe direction
    Rule 3: Load a firearm only when ready to fire
    Rule 4: Identify your target beyond all doubt
    Rule 5: Check your firing zone
    Rule 6: Store firearms and ammunition safely