Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

ZeroPak Terminator

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree57Likes

Thread: Predicament

Quote Originally Posted by murraygb View Post
    Have you thought of a GSP Vizala cross?
    That would be a contender. The wife is liking GSP X Lab which would do the trick

Get a labrador its all ready been tested at the lab
    puku, Pointer, EeeBees and 1 others like this.
    "Thats not a knife, this is a knife"
    Rule 2: Always point firearms in a safe direction
    CFD

tps://www.timeanddate.com/countdown/generic?iso=20180505T00&p0=264&msg=Dundees+Countdo wn+to+Gamebird+Season+2018&font=cursive

Ejected
    A wirey foxy thing. Job done.

Gone but not forgotten Gapped axe's Avatar
    I had a female Jack Russell, hard as fuck. Could work stock with her and hunt her. sadly I accidently ran her over, seems to be the more common way these things leave this world. Don't miss the white hair everywhere thou. Currently have a Australian Terrier, and man does this little dog have character. Loves to move stock and enjoys hunting. Being low or non shedding is a bloody huge bonus. I also have a GWP for security work and hunting, great mates.
    Pengy likes this.
    "ars longa, vita brevis"

In your situation I'd be looking at the Jack Russell. Beagles are bastards to train and the stock in NZ is not good. MPI had to get their stock (for detector dogs) from Australia initially as the NZ stuff was just too belligerent for their training methodology.

Visla's are great hunting dogs, but probably too big for your purpose. This won't be popular, as it goes against many comments here, but I having worked with more than a couple of dozen Vizslas and personally believe the Vizsla is no more a "Velcro dog" than any other soft breed. The problem with Vizsla's is every bloody breeder tells people they are getting a "Velcro dog" and then some behaviors are encouraged that normally wouldn't be. Pushing, clinging, crotch sniffing and other examples of bad manners are tolerated because they are "Velcro dogs" Load of rubbish. Every one I have worked with was no more clingy or Velcro than any other dog I have seen and once you took away the excuse give by the breeders they learned perfectly acceptable manners just like any other dog. As for not wandering... fences stop dogs wandering, not genetics.

I've seen lots of very competent terriers worked on deer... and they are great little characters. The only downfalls are they require very astute possum aversion training. Not really capable of grabbing and hanging on to a wounded big game animal, but they'll always have a go and they only warm very small areas of a sleeping bag!
    It is difficult to win an argument with an intelligent person! It is near impossible with a stupid person!
    Rebelwood Gundog Training

Who wears the pants at your place, just tell your wife what dog your getting. If she don't like it she can go------sorry wife just coming up the drive and she left me chores to do so got to go now. hope she lets me go hunting this month. good luck.
    Bryan, Ruff, mikee and 3 others like this.

The only thing beagles are good for are kicking. A mad Aunt runs a beagle adoption and rehome service, without exaggeration every single one is a dominant, agressive, untrainable mutt that falls into the wrong hands because of their looks
    Ruff, Munsey, mikee and 1 others like this.

Ejected
    You missed pig ignorant, bull headed dirty bastards.
    Pointer and Ruff like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Wirehunt View Post
    You missed pig ignorant, bull headed dirty bastards.
    Me or Pointer? LOL We were trying to be nice!
    Pointer and Munsey like this.
    It is difficult to win an argument with an intelligent person! It is near impossible with a stupid person!

Gone but not forgotten Gapped axe's Avatar
    This morning Mum 84yrs asked if she could take Tilly (Australian Terrier) up to the old folks home when she goes up to read to them twice a week. Mum reads stories out to the oldies, most are her age or younger with a few older, most have dementia and really no quality of life. Apparently Tilly was a hit and spent quite some time on the lap of a 99yr olds with dementia who can't talk, limited use etc. Mum said the lady just sat there the whole time in tears and a huge smile on her dial. The home have asked mum if she could bring Tilly back again soon. What do you reckon?? I'm sure Tills enjoyed the attention.
    Wirehunt, Bryan, Pointer and 9 others like this.
    "ars longa, vita brevis"

Good on your mum for doing so. If Tilly makes the day of someone in a situation like that then it was worth it. Age is cruel
    EeeBees likes this.

Nor West of Auckland on the true right of the Kaipara River
    Quote Originally Posted by Gapped axe View Post
    This morning Mum 84yrs asked if she could take Tilly (Australian Terrier) up to the old folks home when she goes up to read to them twice a week. Mum reads stories out to the oldies, most are her age or younger with a few older, most have dementia and really no quality of life. Apparently Tilly was a hit and spent quite some time on the lap of a 99yr olds with dementia who can't talk, limited use etc. Mum said the lady just sat there the whole time in tears and a huge smile on her dial. The home have asked mum if she could bring Tilly back again soon. What do you reckon?? I'm sure Tills enjoyed the attention.
    Fantastic
    It takes 43 muscle's to frown and 17 to smile, but only 3 for proper trigger pull.
    What more do we need? If we are above ground and breathing the rest is up to us!
    Rule 1: Treat every firearm as loaded
    Rule 2: Always point firearms in a safe direction
    Rule 3: Load a firearm only when ready to fire
    Rule 4: Identify your target beyond all doubt
    Rule 5: Check your firing zone
    Rule 6: Store firearms and ammunition safely
    Rule 7: Avoid alcohol and drugs when handling firearms

Bloody AWESOME!

I still do a handful of gigs each yeah in rest homes. I find them really hard, but just a glimmer on a face playing some corny old song like "You are my sunshine" makes it worthwhile.

Mum died in a resthome, it cuts a bit raw with me.

Ejected
    Quote Originally Posted by Ruff View Post
    Me or Pointer? LOL We were trying to be nice!
    All three

I haven't found them aggressive or dominant, but wandering untrainable bastards, oh and dirty in the under handed way. Hell, you'll be confused again Ruff. I'm talking about the beagles here.

The gf used to work in an old folks home and used to take the dogs in regularly, then I'd be roped in to taking the ferrets in for a visit. The oldies used to love it, music and animals and they are happy!!
    Ruff likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Gapped axe View Post
    man that's awesome , old age is such a cruel bastard of a thing