Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

ZeroPak Delta

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Like Tree37Likes

Thread: Pup for family pet and deer stalking

Quote Originally Posted by Pointer View Post
    Where are these pure dogos? Does any white mastiff pass off as one or were there actually imports?
    imported years ago. still a few around if you know where to look.

Fascinating, and great to know someone kept them going in the face of kneejerk policy making. Thanks gents

Quote Originally Posted by madmaori View Post
    Hey @Ruff , what do you determine to be one of the lesser breeds?
    Dogs not bred with the specific purpose you have in mind as the main goal. Any dog will hunt, some will hunt better than others, some will train easier than others. Some will achieve with less work, some will achieve with more and if bred appropriately will achieve more than an y other breed provided you do the work. Lesser breeds are dogs not bred specifically for the task at hand, but if you put in the work will make a fist of it.
    Pointer, tetawa and madmaori like this.
    It is difficult to win an argument with an intelligent person! It is near impossible with a stupid person!
    Rebelwood Gundog Training

Quote Originally Posted by madmaori View Post
    Im in the same boat , really need/want a mate for in the bush aswel as a family pet but im really unsure as to what breed to go with.
    not really keen on a pure lab as have been around them a few times in the scrub and on a hot day they tend to be quite noisey so was thinking more a working dog type breed that tends to be light on its feet with a few brains , what say you fellas?
    Get a proper working lab then, most of them are fat noisy bastards so removed from being hunting dogs its not funny. The proper working ones are exceptional. and rarly noisy and almost always quieter than their handlers.
    It is difficult to win an argument with an intelligent person! It is near impossible with a stupid person!
    Rebelwood Gundog Training

theres some vizsla x heading dog pups come up on trade me matto1234 maybe worht a look?

Thanks bigbear!

Foxy pups

Hi I have been using a foxy bitch for the past 2 1/2 yrs hunting deer successfully I have now bred her with another foxy both good hunters and great family pets. I have 2 pups left
    Well worth thinking about or come and watch her work. Phil

Quote Originally Posted by matto1234 View Post
    Hi guys , i am keeping an eye out for a suitable pup as a family pet and that i could train for deer stalking. I was thinking a gsp x lab?. I have seen some huntaway x smithfield x collie but they would probably need to be worked hard? Dont want something that cant handle being at home while im at work. Thanks
    sometimes likes this.

Is the foxies any good on South island Waimate wallabies .I here the bullets bounce of rocks .

i would like to say yes but sadly no the foxy finds it hard to move thru the tussock. where the tussock has been grazed they do ok. remember that u want the to chase the wallabies out and this is not good for a deer dog. a good huntaway is best.

I swear by my wirehair x vizsla x lab, he's only 24 months but already a great pet as well as deer dog. Comes to work everyday no probs, hangs inside with the mrs no probs but does get easily over excited with kids and gets abit retarded. IMO if you want a pet and deer dog is that you have to train the mrs just as much ! If my mrs starts spoiling Sika he goes backwards with basic obedience fast
    Ruff and tetawa like this.
    A silly fuk is better than a serious wank