Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Delta DPT

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree7Likes

Thread: Second dog

Name:  ImageUploadedByTapatalk HD1378113499.264789.jpg
Views: 163
Size:  191.2 KB

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
    Sorry shit photo but got these hunting over mates laband my pot licker . Black lab in back my show pony taking all credit !
    Rule 7: Avoid alcohol and drugs when handling firearms

Quote Originally Posted by Pointer View Post
    Many reasons. First one is that I know you

Getting a second dog for the reason of 'to tire the first one out' is a bad idea, respectfully. Especially if you want it to be a useful hunter. All it will do is pick up the bad habits of your first and create a pack structure you may have trouble staying on top of. I recommended a cat for this reason Exercise together sure, in a supervised manner of course, no play-fighting or "tiring each other out", and house and train separately.

The reason I mentioned the well-bred lab over the pointing breeds are, ease of training, useful in most of NZs hunting environments. Not known to be highly strung or needy. deadly on deer, great on waterfowl, and a tougher one, when older and steady, can even make do on pigs.

Now for the shitfight who can direct Timmay onto a top class lab?
    Good points. I see I need to look further into the idea. Maybe 3 dogs are on the cards haha

I will keep an eye out for labs on tm. Are there any breeders that people can suggest?

Quote Originally Posted by Timmay View Post
    I see I need to look further into the idea. Maybe 3 dogs are on the cards haha
    There are plenty of old hands who will say that 3 dogs are easier than two... but lets not get ahead of ourselves!

On Ye Olde forum there is a chap called Hairy, also in our hometown. Ask him? He has some pretty versatile labs