Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Alpine Delta

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
Like Tree39Likes

Thread: sick dog

Still got the dog above and 100% sure it was the Onga Onga. I just keep her away from it.
    Different dogs seem to get away with it coat length doesn't seem to change reaction. Also different if they get brushed on the side rather they pushing through inhaling it. Colder months also not so lethal.
    Still try to avoid the shit most days myself

Gald to hear your dog recovered ok BigBear.

I believe antihistamines are good for treatment for Onga Onga Jake. I'm not sure of the dose but you can give them human antihistamines, but I think the dose is close to twice the human dose. At least she is still eating and drinking ok so that's a good sign. Must have got a small amount luckily. I've been poked by it through overalls so I wouldn't think any length of coat would provide protection from it. maybe a decent doggie jacket would help, but wouldn't cover head or lower legs so would be of limited use.
    bigbear likes this.

It goes through work jeans if i am pushing through it so can't see your average dog coat helping. I thought it was half a tablet.

I aksed the vet for specific antihistamines and they gave Prednil Tabs X1000. Standard dosage is 6 but they said if its bad just get as many in as you can.

Dog has pretty much recovered now, still waking a bit stiffly but tails wagging. Seemed to take around 32hrs to work it’s way through her system. Antihistamine could be a good call, would be a bit poked if doghouse got badly nailed a few hrs from the truck.
    rugerman and Frogfeatures like this.