Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Alpine Darkness

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree16Likes

Thread: Step down from a ferrari

Can anyone comment on these... im guessing there just starting out

Hunting » Thai Ridgeback X Hunting Dogs - BlueStone Kennels
    Rule 4: Identify your target beyond all doubt
    OPCz

Lovin Facebook for hunters kiwijames's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by moonhunt View Post
    Can anyone comment on these... im guessing there just starting out

Hunting » Thai Ridgeback X Hunting Dogs - BlueStone Kennels
    Wouldn't have a clue but they're a nice looking dog.

Fair call mate

Identify your target beyond all doubt! Sorry won't cut it later and no deer is worth the fall out. Safe and happy hunting

Quote Originally Posted by kiwijames View Post
    Wouldn't have a clue but they're a nice looking dog.
    Something differant aye, just had a quick skim on google... cant hack the cold
    OPCz

Quote Originally Posted by lloydcj View Post
    On the same deer / dog page but from a different angle there`s been a dog in a hunting area living with reds for the last month at least, one hunter got a roar then a bark like he`s watching out for them, heard him this morning as well
    That could well be my old uncle harry hermit, feeds the wild deer pig nuts and has a blind old dog with him, dog follows the deer scent and port royal tabbaco smell around, tell your mate to cut there wind and if you smell the port royal you will know what im on about
    lloydcj likes this.
    OPCz

Where do the storys come from phillip, ive seen mental of both breeds, but not there fault, its the owners keeping them as indoor pets, but tell you what... fuck do they hunt when they get to escape the property haha 2 or 3 days at a time
    You're exactly right. They need space or at least shit loads of walks (runs maybe). I wish I didn't live in suburbia!

Sent from my MT27i using Tapatalk 2
    Yeah nah bro

Rule 4: Identify your target beyond all doubt.

German wirehair pointer x german shorthair pointer | Trade Me

This could be a score, moonhunt. Its 3 years old so potentially past the puppy phase? Already trained on birds and deer. May not be perfect but probably a leg-up on the training in the very least. And its free!

What do some of the more knowledgeable guys on here reckon about taking a 3 year old dog instead of a pup?
    Hunt4life likes this.
    Yeah nah bro

I missed that Phillip, add has expired, i didnt know there were so many free dogs on there
    Dont see any harm in trying something like that, bit of a lottery though, if it was a pig dog i wouldnt id rather bring a pup up with the pack and so much more rewarding when you start a pup out and watch all your effort turn into results
    OPCz

Quote Originally Posted by phillipgr View Post
    You're exactly right. They need space or at least shit loads of walks (runs maybe). I wish I didn't live in suburbia!

Sent from my MT27i using Tapatalk 2
    Dont be put off living in the city, you just need to be strategic, live next door to some land, bush park or what ever, not a 30 min drive or more to give the dog a run

I think having a very fit but bored dog is worse than having an unfit one if you know what i mean
    OPCz

Dont be put off living in the city, you just need to be strategic, live next door to some land, bush park or what ever, not a 30 min drive or more to give the dog a run

I think having a very fit but bored dog is worse than having an unfit one if you know what i mean
    Gutted! Not too surprised it didn't last very long though aye.

I've got a couple parks real close and I figured I could bike around the block with it to really give it a run around. When I get one I mean haha. I can also take it up to woodhill to get it indicating for more regular practice, its not too hard to get onto deer up there. You can too when you get yours.
    Yeah nah bro

I took this pic up in the bush today,a good place to advertise a dog needing a new home............it might be gone .

Name:  picture 1633.jpg
Views: 508
Size:  164.9 KB
    "Thats not a knife, this is a knife"
    Rule 2: Always point firearms in a safe direction
    CFD

tps://www.timeanddate.com/countdown/generic?iso=20180505T00&p0=264&msg=Dundees+Countdo wn+to+Gamebird+Season+2018&font=cursive

Yep ive got a vizla choc lab cross shes a handful but beautifully natured. She needs alot of work but shows signs of incredible intelligence amongst her normal lunacy. Time will tell but shes a pet for sure.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2
    Dundee and Hunt4life like this.

I've owned 3 Vizslak. My first one, an import, half Hungarian, was hard as fuck when she needed to be, dragged deer down, finished the odd animal while doing goats for my employer. Nose like I haven't seen since. The other two were NZ bred, big pussies, and relatively useless, ended up in the hole and I left the breed.

I honestly think it is easier to get a good GSP in NZ than a Vizsla, and thats saying something as the GSP breed is in ruins here too. Even in Europe the Vizsla is almost obsolete. In its home country the DD and the wirehair vizsla has more of a following amongst hunters, the shorthaired Vizsla is the domain of the show crowd
    kiwijames and Hunt4life like this.

HF1
    Quote Originally Posted by Hunt4life View Post
    I've done my research and as I want a dedicated deer dog, I'll be getting a Viszla as a bit more aggro and gutsy than a GSP, so will grab and hold a wounded animal if need be. I worry too much about a Lab barking when excited and a GSP is just too timid for my liking
    I would think a GSP would be a tougher dog than a Vizsla as far as temperament goes. I have 2 Vizslas now and have had GSPs in the past.
    Last edited by HF1; 14-05-2013 at 08:45 PM.

My young gsp bailed up a wounded pig I should never had shot at ( another story) . It turned out a flesh wound and the wee boar was not going with out a fight ,it broke, dog stoped him and bailed hard . Even when I snuck in dog never came off , I couldnt get a clean shot so watched the pig charge him a few times then break to be bailed again . Finally to be dispatched by the rifle 15 mins later. I was very surprised by the dogs attitude to that pig , if the pig had been bigger I think it would have opened my dog up like a can opener . When I pig hunted bailing dogs where mostly very slow to start , and learnt there trade off older dogs . It's ironic that when I don't need one , I sort of got one by default .
    Rule 7: Avoid alcohol and drugs when handling firearms