Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

ZeroPak Terminator

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree34Likes

Thread: Think before you snip your pup

Quote Originally Posted by mimms2 View Post
    ...had the vet tell me to spay my bitch incase she later gets an infection in the uterurs...don't understand the thinking there... might as well just shoot her incase she gets old
    Having nearly lost an exceptional bitch to pyometra, I would agree with the Vet that speying the bitch at an appropriate age when it has been decided that you don't wish to breed from her, is a sensible suggestion. Far better then an emergency operation on an animal now of ill-health to remove an infected uterus and all the complications that can come with it.
    mimms2 likes this.

The nuts are removed FTX.
    Unfortunately removing nuts to control aggression, is a bit of the old horse has bolted scenario.When dogs become "teenagers" they will naturally test the hierarchy to see if, for some reason, they are now the boss that is the time to do a heap more reinforcement of the rules and obedience, to make sure they know who the boss is. The wife and kids also need to let the dog know that it is below them as well, otherwise you will get the kids or wife growled at or nipped ( which is the dog saying "you are below me mate").

Quote Originally Posted by Ftx325 View Post
    we've been talking about this subject regarding our vizsla lately . So being a first time owner don't actually know what is involved . I assumed it is just a snip the lines thing or do they remove his nuts completely ?
    I don't want it done any time soon but know of several others that have been chopped at the same age supposedly due to getting aggressive/rough with family members and was done to supposedly calm them down .
    We have also heard that chopping to early can cause testi cancer ...(?)
    We are hoping to maybe breed at least once with him and have been asked by several people who wish to produce a litter with their females but can't find a male that hasn't already had the chop done , so it would seem to be standard procedure with vizsla to chop asap at an early age .
    Shadowsol likes this.

We advise our pup owners not to desex, for some owners the pressure from vets and vet nurses wins in the end and I’ve been around long enough to know the usual result being soft tissue cancer gets them before they reach double digits…. It’s the owners choice but I prefer to leave them as nature intended, for some medical reasons it is a given for owners of male dogs I suggest a superlorian injection if they feel temp issues are the result of his dangly bits… most of the time they are not.
    rugerman and stagstalker like this.

We got our pup done on advice from our vet when 1 of his balls failed to drop. Said it would turn cancerous if not removed.
    All my previous dogs were left intact

Actually pushing the balls up into the body cavity ( a crypt orchard), is a technique in sheep to stop the fertility, but maintain the ram-like behaviour.
    The increased heat in the balls kill the sperm, so they are effectively firing blanks
    mimms2 likes this.