Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Darkness Alpine

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Like Tree7Likes

Thread: Training scents

Quote Originally Posted by Pointer View Post
    I would say that my missus responds to expensive little bottles of scent more than my dog would
    The best use for those training scents is to pour them in the fresh air A/C filter of your mate's trucks. Works really well with fox or doe in heat urine
    Pointer likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Dougie View Post
    Ah Ruff, gotcha. I just read how positive reinforcement doesn't fit in with your method of training. I can understand that your methods are producing effective dogs year after year, but I too beleive that the way I've trained my dogs has worked also. (Noting that my dogs have only ever been companion dogs) I am not about to be a hippee and bash your methods, don't worry

I thought what you had meant was that capturing the dog's movement then adding a cue to it. I've obviously misunderstood. I am still really interested in how to train a change in direction. From my personal research I have not found positive reinforcement techniques to teach things other than tricksreally, often most stuff isn't at a distance either which is the challenge that I am wanting to tackle and that's why I am seeking more information on different techniques.

Cheers.

PS I understand that this subject is very close to home as this is 'your thing' as such, I would not be offended if you'd rather brush me off now that you know my methods of training. It's been done before and it will be done again, each to their own I say and I will not bash my training 'bible' in anyone's face. I have seen the way that many positive reinforcemet advocates may also fall into the basket of hippee vegetarians! I can assure you I love my red steaks.
    Not at all. I like your receptivness... You might be jumping to conclusions a little bit... I will respond in a bit of depth for you later....

Thanks mate, I'm always keen to learn more!
    She loves the free fresh wind in her hair; Life without care. She's broke but it's oke; that's why the lady is a tramp.

Rule 4: Identify your target beyond all doubt

i use scents on tennis balls...... for young pups to find, they soon learn to find them after they roll into the rubbish.
    fresh tennis ball rubbed over a dead rabbit or pheasant, it only really shows me a pups level of drive over it's siblings, but is fun to watch.

i do buy into the german methods of bloodtracking/finding and reporting with aged tracks and it's something i wish to learn more about in the future.

Quote Originally Posted by kawhia View Post
    i use scents on tennis balls...... for young pups to find, they soon learn to find them after they roll into the rubbish.
    fresh tennis ball rubbed over a dead rabbit or pheasant, it only really shows me a pups level of drive over it's siblings, but is fun to watch.

i do buy into the german methods of bloodtracking/finding and reporting with aged tracks and it's something i wish to learn more about in the future.
    i don;t believe the scent makes an ounce of difference Jason... they'll still find the tennis ball. I didn;t say dogs didn;t track. I said the way they learn is how we expose to them opportunity, we don;t have to make the exercise.... just expose them to hunting.

next litter i have i will get it for you on video, the scent helps, i'm looking for the instinct on game scent not tennis balls.
    EeeBees likes this.

I'm explaining myself poorly....

no ya not.

Yeah i am....

I can post more info or we can just do the yes I am , no I'm not, thing for a while.... LOL

Dangerous Dan, to me getting the youngster out in his hunting environment as often as possible is the best way for him to figure out what scents are what (not formal hunting, just getting his nose in places)...be it hedgehog poo, an old pheasant roost site or whatever...but the idea of wings on dummies is good...a good squishy aka foam dummy is better than a more solid one as it more emulates the 'feel' of the bird and, oh, do not use rubber bands to keep the wings in place...some good kitchen string is much better OIMHOOC!!!

I actually do not like dead as in thawed frozen pigeons for retrieve work...just imagine being sent away to fetch a gob full of tacky awful soggy rancid pigeon...the best way to get a youngster retrieving is on hot birds which he has pointed, when he is mature enough to handle the rigours of the outing, has manners, is under control, and has had good gun initiation. And if he has been exposed to as much scent as possible, he will have it worked out very quickly...but then there is the hare who is so tantalizing to any dog even one with half a nose and a eighth of a brain...
    Last edited by EeeBees; 03-08-2012 at 10:43 PM.
    ...amitie, respect mutuel et amour...

...le beau et le bon, cela rime avec Breton!...

Quote Originally Posted by EeeBees View Post
    ...but then there is the hare who is so tantalizing to any dog even one with half a nose and a eighth of a brain...
    I think I have one of those
    She loves the free fresh wind in her hair; Life without care. She's broke but it's oke; that's why the lady is a tramp.

Rule 4: Identify your target beyond all doubt

My dog learnt what I wanted him to hunt through me showing no interest in things I didnt want him to be interested in and shooting a few of the things i wanted him to find for me, kept it pretty simple although knowing what scent he was working was something to be mindful of so was certainly easier in a controlled situation. If things were to deteriororate and he began hunting for himself I would expect to see him hunt any scent that met his nose. There may be some intricacies in there i missed but its been working thus far
    EeeBees likes this.