Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Delta ZeroPak

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
Like Tree12Likes

Thread: Where to start

Quote Originally Posted by Toby View Post
    Lol, really Wild buck is a beer if you didn't know, just clearing that up. I wouldn't drink that shit she did lol, shes got some balls to do that.
    If she really did she probably wouldnt have!
    Toby likes this.
    "Hunting and fishing" fucking over licenced firearms owners since ages ago.

308Win One chambering to rule them all.

Quote Originally Posted by eltoro View Post
    Don't suppose you know anyone in Marlborough/Nelson area who has a good dog up and running?
    Mate if you have an ear with Dave Wilson, then you are on the right track. Ask to go out with him and Moose

Quote Originally Posted by veitnamcam View Post
    If she really did she probably wouldnt have!
    Very good point
    VIVA LA HOWA

Quote Originally Posted by Pointer View Post
    Mate if you have an ear with Dave Wilson, then you are on the right track. Ask to go out with him and Moose
    Yeah I'm keen to visit him. Thanks for your help and advice!

No worries. Now you just need sort out your choice of breed and you will be away

Quote Originally Posted by Pointer View Post
    No worries. Now you just need sort out your choice of breed and you will be away
    The Vizlas seem to have a pretty good rep. Dave won't have any for a little while though.
    What are your thoughts regarding breed?

Look at what the pros use, there is a bit of a pattern. Generally HPRs or eye dogs. That said, I rate Labs, and certain HPR breeds. Or more correctly, certain strains of certain HPR breeds.
    What ever you do, you can't make silk purse out of sows ear. Talk to people, read up on the subject, and save your pingers for the best bred pup for the job. Costs as much to feed a dud as it does a star gamefinder.

Sorry for the thread hijack eltoro
    Toby likes this.
    "Hunting and fishing" fucking over licenced firearms owners since ages ago.

308Win One chambering to rule them all.

Nah thats all good. Normally I'd join in but was pretty focused on the topic!!!

I'm a fan of vislas as my profile pic may suggest lol. Silent stalker in the bush. Just need to keep them run enough to keep them.happy. I use mine on everything. Some people say you shouldn't but they catch on to what your looking for pretty quickly and if trained right will just work off you in terms of the hitting style for the day I.e if I walk slow and quiet he does too etc

Quote Originally Posted by horihunter View Post
    I'm a fan of vislas as my profile pic may suggest lol. Silent stalker in the bush. Just need to keep them run enough to keep them.happy. I use mine on everything. Some people say you shouldn't but they catch on to what your looking for pretty quickly and if trained right will just work off you in terms of the hitting style for the day I.e if I walk slow and quiet he does too etc
    Does your dog ever make or have puppies?
    Last edited by eltoro; 11-10-2012 at 02:27 PM.

Good luck Eltoro, I'll be in the same boat as you in a year or so when I'm better at hunting deer on my own keep us posted!

PS would any of the dog dudes ever want to have a dog get together similar to the forum hunt? Has it been done before or do you think it'll work? I'd love to see EeeBees lovely Britts doing their thing as long as I got to have a cuddle afterwards, also I've never seen a deer dog work so would be fun to watch them do their thing
    She loves the free fresh wind in her hair; Life without care. She's broke but it's oke; that's why the lady is a tramp.

Rule 4: Identify your target beyond all doubt

Cool idea, Dougie...what have you in mind for what sort of format the day would take...oh dear, Falco might want to go home with you
    ...amitie, respect mutuel et amour...

...le beau et le bon, cela rime avec Breton!...

Quote Originally Posted by EeeBees View Post
    Cool idea, Dougie...what have you in mind for what sort of format the day would take...oh dear, Falco might want to go home with you
    I'm not sure as I have never seen a hunting dog work! Could find a good place for birds as I think most of the dogs on here are more inclined to that? And I think it'd be a dealbreaker for sweet wee Falco when he finds out that dogs don't sleep inside at my place or ever see more than their mat in the lounge
    She loves the free fresh wind in her hair; Life without care. She's broke but it's oke; that's why the lady is a tramp.

Rule 4: Identify your target beyond all doubt

Gone but not forgotten Gapped axe's Avatar
    A good dog is breed not made. Start with a hunting pedigree and you are half way there. I like GWP personally and am now on my third one. The breeder did this particular line purely for deer. Jazz the one I have now was retreiving ducks at 3mths and got on to her first deer at 6mths. last year in 4 mths she helped me tip over and recover 16 deer. Ali/Lab my experince in them is that they are aggressive and also mutton munchers, mind you all 3 of my Wires have had agressive natures. I agree with Pointer, it cost just the same to feed a mutt as a good dog . Be wary you will have this dog for a long time so chose wisely. My 2cents worth