Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

DPT Darkness

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree51Likes

Thread: Whippet or Whippet X pups or breeders

Sight hound, will instinctively chase anything that runs, wouldn't reccomend pure bred on pigs as they are very lightly built and would get beat up pretty bad, seen a few crossed with bull terrier type breeds make awesome pig dogs.
    Definitely not a deer dog you want a scent hound for that.
    Seriously there drive to chase is irresistible they will chase down anything that runs until they either catch it or run out of puff.
    Great rabbit/hare/cat dogs

northdude
    Quote Originally Posted by bing View Post
    So, what's the go with Wippet's ? Are they any good on deer or are they best suited to running stuff down, bunnies and pigs etc .
    and very intilegent look what it made out of duplo
    Last edited by northdude; 13-06-2019 at 08:23 PM.
    kiwijames, Moa Hunter and dannyb like this.

Quote Originally Posted by bing View Post
    So, what's the go with Wippet's ? Are they any good on deer or are they best suited to running stuff down, bunnies and pigs etc .
    so far my whippet cross has caught one piglet and has turned a sika hind and a boar around and brought them down to us.....(kinda like what a heading dog would do with sheep)not sure whats in her mix shes smaller than your average whippet and stockier and wicked fast
    Dublin and dannyb like this.

Nim
    I'll admit that I had to google the whip it references, predates me a little.
    I've had a whippet/cocker cross before that threw more to the whippet and he was a great hunter, run down hares and fetch all day, but so cruisey otherwise. He was a big fan of sleeping.
    dannyb likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Nim View Post
    I'll admit that I had to google the whip it references, predates me a little.
    I've had a whippet/cocker cross before that threw more to the whippet and he was a great hunter, run down hares and fetch all day, but so cruisey otherwise. He was a big fan of sleeping.
    Oh shit yeah they are cruisey as in fact most cruisey dogs I have ever come across and yup nothing makes em happier than a sunny window to sleep under or a rug by the fire LOVE to sleep
    scotty likes this.

I've never owned one but they are cool looking and quite pleasant dogs from what I could gather, from my limited interactions with them.

Quote Originally Posted by dannyb View Post
    Oh shit yeah they are cruisey as in fact most cruisey dogs I have ever come across and yup nothing makes em happier than a sunny window to sleep under or a rug by the fire LOVE to sleep
    yup its a huuuuge effort to get out of bed to go to the toilet or even to eat and if the fires going forget about it.....(the dog not me)
    dannyb likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Wirehunt View Post
    Ive got a litter of pure whippets due in the next few days. Great hunting lines. The dog is an aussie import.
    Just iike that! Awesome! Mates have whippet first cross pig dogs and there fantastic wee hounds. They have a ton of grunt and really sweet natured/biddible.
    dannyb likes this.

We used whippets as kids in the late 70s early 80s, on the rabbits, with Jack Russells and of course ferrets. Steps as follows:
    1. Net all the rabbit holes, leave two or three open, and dig the biggest hole out with a spade.
    2. Send in ferrets.
    3. Send Jack Russell into dug out hole, make it bark a lot.
    4. Wait....
    5. ....Watch whippets take off like greased bloody lightening as rabbits come flying out of the un-netted holes.
    6. Use the cosh on rabbits caught in nets, and reset.
    7. Laugh at the Jack Russell getting angry that it hasn't caught a rabbit yet.
    8. Retrieve ferrets from holes.
    9. Go home happy, with tall tales.
    Final score: Whippets 19 - Jack Russell 1... an injury time consolation bunny that may or may not have had an earlier thump on the head...

I loved the whippets. Odd characters, great house dogs, but desperate to be worked. They can be annoyingly neurotic if not given a chance to be a proper whippet.
    Just...say...the...word

Ejected
    Sight hound, will instinctively chase anything that runs, wouldn't reccomend pure bred on pigs as they are very lightly built and would get beat up pretty bad, seen a few crossed with bull terrier type breeds make awesome pig dogs.
    Seriously there drive to chase is irresistible they will chase down anything that runs until they either catch it or run out of puff.
    FFS don't tell my lot they are sight hounds! And dont tell them their not pig dogs, they'll get all lazy n shit.

Anyone running Lockleys?
    No whippet but large slice of grey hound.I have 2,born to run and smart,natural hunters,a bit whoosey until 2 years old but then look out.
    Have not had them on deer yet but have nailed everything else.

my cross not only uses her keen sight but she also uses her ears (in fact she picks up on sounds first).....always alerted to the minutest of sounds and she will go off stalking toward that sound once she sees her prey she will stalk in on it as close as she can always seems to put the animal between her and me so if it runs it runs to me i only have to call her name and she will stop the chase (she thinks shes big enough to take on a boar alone.....but really shes not she only tips the scales at 17kg so wouldnt want her to corner one and i wasnt there to dispense with it)
    we have 2 cats ..... one she adores and treats like her pup the other she hates if the cats fight she will chase the cat she hates .....she will also stalk him from time to time .she catches mice and rats around here no problem
    Wirehunt and dannyb like this.

Doing what they do best when it's cold and miserable outside....
    Name:  IMG_20190616_133353.jpg
Views: 703
Size:  2.72 MB
    headcase, Ryan, scotty and 4 others like this.

Do they let you sit on their couch sometimes @dannyb?

Mine do, but when I am allowed to sit with them I am reminded how smelly they have made their couch. Funny thing is they show no sign of wanting to clean it.
    dannyb and Eat Meater like this.
    Just...say...the...word

Yeah they do, but no they don't clean it haha !!!!