Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Darkness Terminator

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree10Likes

Thread: "You can't teach an old dog new tricks"

"You can't teach an old dog new tricks"

As a few of you know from some of my previous posts, I am a novice trainer but looking to get a dog in the next few years to teach to indicate deer for me. My current dog is the family pet, a golden retriever aged 10 (I'll look for a deer dog when he passes). He is quite poorly trained but very well natured so he's never been problematic. In fact, its probably because he's so well natured that we didn't spend lots of time training him well. It was before my hunting days when we got him (I was 8) so he never got any training other than the standard sit, heel and whatnot. I had a thought today that before getting my new dog, I could up my training skills by trying to retrain my dog, mainly on the basics but if he excels then I'll try move him on. I'm not expecting to get a hunting dog out of it, only to teach myself to train in prep for my next dog. Is the old saying true, that you can't teach an old dog new tricks, or is it worth my time - I won't just be trying to draw blood from a stone?
    Yeah nah bro

Rule 4: Identify your target beyond all doubt.

Yes, you could but ... if he has ten years of basic commands and that has been all he had ever needed what exactly are you going to train him to do!! Best of luck...he will probably have his own ideas about this caper
    Wirehunt likes this.
    ...amitie, respect mutuel et amour...

...le beau et le bon, cela rime avec Breton!...

Quote Originally Posted by EeeBees View Post
    Yes, you could but ... if he has ten years of basic commands and that has been all he had ever needed what exactly are you going to train him to do!! Best of luck...he will probably have his own ideas about this caper
    Honestly, there is much room for improvements in even the most basic of commands...
    We never tried teaching him hand-signals, that's something I could try.
    Yeah nah bro

Ejected
    That's something you add in

Nor West of Auckland on the true right of the Kaipara River
    Quote Originally Posted by Tussock View Post
    Looked like he was 19 the poor old fellah, but he was still keen to give things a go if he thought there was a biscuit or a pat in it for him.
    Loyal and willing to the end that is why they are referred to as "man's best friend". Commiserations to your mum on losing a companion.
    It takes 43 muscle's to frown and 17 to smile, but only 3 for proper trigger pull.
    What more do we need? If we are above ground and breathing the rest is up to us!
    Rule 1: Treat every firearm as loaded
    Rule 2: Always point firearms in a safe direction
    Rule 3: Load a firearm only when ready to fire
    Rule 4: Identify your target beyond all doubt
    Rule 5: Check your firing zone
    Rule 6: Store firearms and ammunition safely
    Rule 7: Avoid alcohol and drugs when handling firearms

You can only try Phillip
    Name:  picture 435.jpg
Views: 261
Size:  164.4 KB
    "Thats not a knife, this is a knife"
    CFD

tps://www.timeanddate.com/countdown/generic?iso=20180505T00&p0=264&msg=Dundees+Countdo wn+to+Gamebird+Season+2018&font=cursive

I took him out last night to the park to see where he was at for commands. He's got stay pretty good, I can walk out of sight and he won't move. When I get him to "come" after staying he was good over shorter distances but anything more than 60m or so he got distracted on a scent or something so it wouldn't work. His heeling is OK but it requires a fair bit of reminding. He likes to take his time when he sits. I kept the session short, about 30mins. I didn't use any treats, just praise, because in the past we used treats too much and he came to expect it on a command, so I won't to break that mindset. I wasn't really sure of the best way to reprimand him for not obeying my command, what's the best way? I read on that article awhile back about using a rolled up newspaper but I understand that's not what everyone thinks is best.
    Yeah nah bro

Dont get into reprimand but rather thinking of enforcing. If he doesnt respond immediately you enforce it. The means of doing so depends on the dog and command eg if a dog doesnt stop when told while coming towards you an aggressive step forward can stop them. Try going to short distance come commands when you say come.run away and get him to chase you. Build the distance from there. Get excited with it and make yourself more interesting him getting to you and getting a rub etc is the reward.
    This is one idea that may/may not work depending on the relationship you have. Best would be to have someone in the know see how you and dog interract amd go from.there

Cheers for the tips guys. I'll put them to good use on him tomorrow morning.
    Yeah nah bro

Go gently on the Old One...he is probably thinking WTFITAA!!!...why me!! cant you see in human years Im seventy years old...geeus wayne, you sit down with a slap when you're my age and see how you like it...!!
    ...amitie, respect mutuel et amour...

...le beau et le bon, cela rime avec Breton!...

Quote Originally Posted by EeeBees View Post
    Go gently on the Old One...he is probably thinking WTFITAA!!!...why me!! cant you see in human years Im seventy years old...geeus wayne, you sit down with a slap when you're my age and see how you like it...!!
    My old man needs a slap sometimes Eeebees and hes an old grumpy Irishman,well Grandad was but it surely rubs off cause my old man still needs his happy pills
    Pointer and EeeBees like this.
    CFD

tps://www.timeanddate.com/countdown/generic?iso=20180505T00&p0=264&msg=Dundees+Countdo wn+to+Gamebird+Season+2018&font=cursive

I reckon its genetic too Dundee!
    EeeBees likes this.

I have a grumpy Irish Grandad too, it runs in the male side of the family

Quote Originally Posted by Pointer View Post
    I have a grumpy Irish Grandad too, it runs in the male side of the family
    Ahh that explains it Pointer Never got to meet my Grandad but the stories I've heard are great he was a WW1 Vet

But whats up with the grumpy females
    CFD

Oh that's in my family too, behind every grumpy Irishman is a grumpy Irishwoman!

We actually have a name for it in my family, we call it the "Moira" gene, after my great grandmother!
    Dundee and EeeBees like this.