Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Darkness Delta

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast
Like Tree120Likes

Thread: Welcome to the volly room

Welcome to the volly room

She was a bad arvo for this guy.
    Thoughts too his family.
    http://m.police.govt.nz/mobile-news-article/36021

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hate those type of calls, sad for all concerned

Sent from my workbench
    BRADS likes this.
    If i could have a full time job shooting pests i'm up for over time.

Our unit launched our new (to us) vessel on sat

[ATTACH=CONFIG]33469[/ATTACH

[ATTACH=CONFIG]33469[/ATTACH
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    sako75, BRADS and smidey like this.

Awesome
    How many crew does she take?

I think these 2 advertising photos are symbolic of not just fire vollies but volunteering in general
    (hope I haven't breach any copyright laws posting them. if so will delete them)

Can see jakesae101's new Coastguard in a similar state without vollies. Be some empty choppers without SAR crews in them. Not to mention Lifeline and other organizations

Name:  32178-Without-Volunteers-Posters-02 [50%].jpg
Views: 177
Size:  270.1 KB

Name:  32178-Without-Volunteers-Posters-01 [50%].jpg
Views: 187
Size:  397.7 KB
    Gapped axe likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by sako75 View Post
    Awesome
    How many crew does she take?

Opertaionally probably a crew of 6 master , helm , nav , foward observer , 2 rear deck crew. training probably 8 minimum crew is around 3 i think
    sako75 likes this.

Another Hoorah for the mighty 6/1
    Our Mitsi

Name:  100802 33 (2).jpg
Views: 149
Size:  86.3 KB

Name:  100802 13 (2).jpg
Views: 137
Size:  87.7 KB

[QUOTE=sako75;333827]I think these 2 advertising photos are symbolic of not just fire vollies but volunteering in general
    (hope I haven't breach any copyright laws posting them. if so will delete them)

Can see jakesae101's new Coastguard in a similar state without vollies. Be some empty choppers without SAR crews in them. Not to mention Lifeline and other organizations

Volunteers do a fantastic job, but there is always two sides to every story, if volly Fire Fighters didn't man Stations like Silverdale , Queenstown, Pukekohe and West Harbour etc the Fire Service would be forced to put in Career Staff. So in these specific cases these Vollys are actullay doing a disservice to their community....

Quote Originally Posted by Mohawk660 View Post
    Volunteers do a fantastic job, but there is always two sides to every story, if volly Fire Fighters didn't man Stations like Silverdale , Queenstown, Pukekohe and West Harbour etc the Fire Service would be forced to put in Career Staff. So in these specific cases these Vollys are actullay doing a disservice to their community....
    can you please clarify what you mean "disservice to their community"

Quote Originally Posted by smidey View Post
    can you please clarify what you mean "disservice to their community"
    Sure , these stations I have mentioned have risks that warrant a Career Station ,due to the large numbers of people and property. It is not fees-able that the Fire Service have Career staff in every town in New Zealand and in smaller district towns in New Zealand the Volunteers do a great job.

However these specific stations I have mention are the minority. The Fire Service will not push out a Volunteer Station, infact the will do all they can to support Vollies.

They only way the Fire Service will put in a Career station is when the Vollies cant man it any more and negotiate with the Fire Service to take over with career staff.

So yes in my opinion Station like Queenstown, Silverdale, West Harbour and Pukekohe should be manned by career staff 24/7 but they wont because the vollies are doing it for free....
    sako75 likes this.

Sure , these stations I have mentioned have risks that warrant a Career Station ,due to the large numbers of people and property. It is not fees-able that the Fire Service have Career staff in every town in New Zealand and in smaller district towns in New Zealand the Volunteers do a great job.

However these specific stations I have mention are the minority. The Fire Service will not push out a Volunteer Station, infact the will do all they can to support Vollies.

They only way the Fire Service will put in a Career station is when the Vollies cant man it any more and negotiate with the Fire Service to take over with career staff.

So yes in my opinion Station like Queenstown, Silverdale, West Harbour and Pukekohe should be manned by career staff 24/7 but they wont because the vollies are doing it for free....
    You do realise that the bigger stations with permanent crew are mainly staffed by volleys,

Which bigger stations are you referring too ? Wellington , Christchurch, Hamilton , Dunedin, Taupo, Auckland, Whangerai, Napier, Nelson ?

Welcome to the volly room

I'm not sure about those ones, @stumpy might help us out.
    I do no that Hastings and Masterton have one crew of permanents the rest is all volleys.
    They are both big stations, Hastings has a rescue tender, command centre, and 3 or 4 trucks.

Wow open up a can of worms.

I hear what Mohawk is saying and I have quite strong feelings along the same lines but keep my head down (nearly had it chopped off recently)

Auckland is different than anywhere else

Stations like Westgate? Should they be manned 24/7?

The new Te Atatu station now manned 24/7 with perms after it's relocation. Vollies are now more of an operational support brigade. Not on 1st alarm callout.
    Note the perms have the Bronto that was at Avondale. Just the PRT there now. Vollies have their own truck. Many years ago when Pt. Chev closed down. the community was told there would always be 2 appliance at Avondale for them.

Glen Eden was once a volly station until their numbers dropped too low and now they are no more.

What will happen to Henderson when it moves?

The Fire Service is on a winner paying for vollies to man stations that demographically should be 24/7

The day crew are called Yellow watch

Titirangi have a Yellow watch. The vollies there are top notch. The annual callout figures don't warrant having 24/7 paid staff with Glen Eden and Avondale not too far away

This is a subject that will raise heckles on some and disbelief in others
    Last edited by sako75; 28-01-2015 at 02:20 PM.

what are the risks that warrant career staff over vollies?