Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

ZeroPak DPT

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree9Likes
  • 5 Post By Barry the hunter
  • 4 Post By Billbob

Thread: Staining stripped antlers

Staining stripped antlers

Hey just shot a nice fallow buck I wanted to mount with his velvet on but after the shot he took a good fall and started peeling his velvet as he fell . So not really being a huge fan of staining them I know it looks great but I was hoping for a more natural look but I can't really do anything now but stain it so I was wondering has anybody before ever sanded the high knobs and smoothed out the tips of the antlers like they do naturally on trees etc to get a more natural antler look before staining . And if you have done so what did it turn out like . Any ideas would be much appreciated

Sent from my SM-G998B using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Phill243 View Post
    Hey just shot a nice fallow buck I wanted to mount with his velvet on but after the shot he took a good fall and started peeling his velvet as he fell . So not really being a huge fan of staining them I know it looks great but I was hoping for a more natural look but I can't really do anything now but stain it so I was wondering has anybody before ever sanded the high knobs and smoothed out the tips of the antlers like they do naturally on trees etc to get a more natural antler look before staining . And if you have done so what did it turn out like . Any ideas would be much appreciated

Sent from my SM-G998B using Tapatalk
    condes crystals does a good job available from chemist -looks purple when you first put it on but dry's a nice shade of brown - sand lightly after staining to expose white points especially on tips - you could try hard rubbing with some of the native barks they would naturally rub on - tanekaha for example -or manuka or toatoa but I suspect it would be a slow process - now I have not tried this but worth a shot -soak bark in turps and see if you can get colour out or boil bark to see if you can extract colour - but taxidermists generally use condes chrystals

Condys Crystal's (Potassium permanganate) is what I use. Start with half a teaspoon to 1 cup hot water to dissolve them. Let dry between coats. You can get it from Mitre10 too