Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

ZeroPak Alpine

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree24Likes

Thread: Best wood for making bows

Best wood for making bows

Title pretty much says it all, I've knapped a couple of glass arrowheads before and I'm looking into making my own bow

I think that Yew was the go to for traditional bow making back in the day, but not sure it is even found in NZ
    Forgotmaboltagain+1

Banned
    Maybe ash wood?

lancewood is good native option...depends entirely on what poundage yo uwant to achieve and how much time n effort you are prepared to put in...the bowmakers of old went to lamination for a good reason
    RV1 likes this.
    75/15/10 black powder matters

Around 45lb draw weight, not looking to put in too much effort aside from drying out the wood as the first couple ones are bound to be a bit shoddy

Ned
    Do some searching on the forum.
    There was someone a while back offering up some wood that was suitable for making bows with.
    Quite a while ago though so might be a dead end.

A customer at work make his own longbows, he is quite fond of Kowhai

Hi Wisemushroom,

Try using 2 x Hickory axe handles from miter-10 just need to look for good straight grain and then do a splice joint. Easy to get, easy to shape and Hickory is a good strong wood for a first bow attempt and pretty cheap at 90 bucks for 2 x handles

When I get a shed (mancave) I will be building a bow or two, I have done a lot of vac bagged epoxy surfboards so like the idea of laminating up a recurve and have a nice 60# hunting recurve that hasnt been used in a long time that I would like to try and replicate.

Quote Originally Posted by Fat belly Dog View Post
    Hi Wisemushroom,

Try using 2 x Hickory axe handles from miter-10 just need to look for good straight grain and then do a splice joint. Easy to get, easy to shape and Hickory is a good strong wood for a first bow attempt and pretty cheap at 90 bucks for 2 x handles

When I get a shed (mancave) I will be building a bow or two, I have done a lot of vac bagged epoxy surfboards so like the idea of laminating up a recurve and have a nice 60# hunting recurve that hasnt been used in a long time that I would like to try and replicate.
    Pick handles are a better shape to start with.
    If you can find them these days.
    Overkill is still dead.

Quote Originally Posted by WiseMushroom View Post
    Title pretty much says it all, I've knapped a couple of glass arrowheads before and I'm looking into making my own bow
    I would look at manuka or its close relative kanuka - see if that has the right credentials - there are clubs and groups right into this should not hard to tap into advice

Osange orange if you can find it. Otherwise try find some old skis,use front half and shape them for limbs. Laminate some wood and something synthetic for a handle and bolt ski bits to it.
    Micky Duck and RV1 like this.

Two hickory pick handles. Head end to head end and screwed on to a riser.
    Plane/sand/whittle them down to the desired shape, size and weight.
    It works.
    Growlybear and RV1 like this.
    Overkill is still dead.

We use mulberry tree making curve bow in China. It `s light with good strength and elasticity, easy to work with, not like hardwood. I believe NZ has mulberry tree since I know some people raising silk worm. And, you got lots organic material available from deer or shark and deep salt water fishes to make very good bow
    Woody likes this.
    Always In pursuit of my happiness...No matter the costs.

OPO
    I know some use laminated Tanekaha , possibly with some other type https://www.tanestrees.org.nz/specie...iles/tanekaha/

A read a study exactly on this subuject by a forestry chap who was into bowmaking, and all the aspects for a good bow wood are in....macrocarpa. Which is actually a cypress tree. It actually scores higher then yew.

Yew can be found in NZ, mostly as an ornamental tree, too small to be of any use, or I have seen some in old parks. But they are a twisty tree, unless they are big enugh you wont have a limb large anough and traight enought o be useful. Plus you have to sneak into a city park at night with a saw.