Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Darkness Terminator

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By No.3
  • 1 Post By Moutere

Thread: Broadhead Sharpening

Broadhead Sharpening

I'm looking at a 3000/10000 grit Whet/oil stone to sharpen my 3 blade cast broadheads
    What do you use to sharpen your broadheads
    I am new to the stick throwing game I got myself a crossbow for Xmas but looking at a bow this year
    Cheers for any ideas

Mate uses a Scary sharp and treats them like knives basically.
    Micky Duck likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by No.3 View Post
    Mate uses a Scary sharp and treats them like knives basically.
    Gosh, I bet that’s fiddly with a scary sharp.

Not really, pop the blades out and hold them down with one clamp. The full sized stones are wider than the blades though, one or two swipes and done if the things aren't bashed on the cutting edge. To be fair the mate uses a rough cheap Chinese stone in the guide clamp as it's not something that really worth using the expensive stones on with the danger of ridging them. A Lansky setup would probably do just as well I guess and you'd be able to better see what's going on while stoning...

If the OP means fixed blade broadheads, fine wet and dry stuck down on a piece of thick glass works good as another cost effective option.
    No.3 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by 260rem View Post
    I'm looking at a 3000/10000 grit Whet/oil stone to sharpen my 3 blade cast broadheads
    What do you use to sharpen your broadheads
    I am new to the stick throwing game I got myself a crossbow for Xmas but looking at a bow this year
    Cheers for any ideas
    Jump on YouTube, there’s heaps of good options and best seen rather than explained.
    Cheers

Have a look at the file sharpening method. Its by far the easiest. Finish them off on a strop and they will shave.

I've gone over to a three blade, easy to tune and easy to sharpen. A small diamond stone and a couple quick swipes on three sides, job done. No shagging around on fiddly blades.

Can't help you with 3-blades, don't use them. Only 2 blade and preferably solid.

For my BH's with the spring steel, like the Tuskers, I use a steel file, quick run on a stone and strop. For all others including my single bevels I do it all on a stone. My favourite broadheads (that are pretty much the same as the Ozcuts but cost 1/4 the price - TY Aliexpress) come a bit blunt from the factory, so I work them on a diamondback DC4, whetstone and leather strop to finish. I can shave with them within a few minutes from factory dull edge. I don't mess with the pull through sharpeners any more. Waste of time.
    Last edited by Remote; 04-07-2023 at 10:03 PM. Reason: Grammar

I use em until their blunt or stuck in a tree then change them never had to sharpen one