Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Darkness DPT

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree20Likes

Thread: Hoops to be leapt and dosh paid for a cap and ball black powder revolver & FAL.

Hoops to be leapt and dosh paid for a cap and ball black powder revolver & FAL.

I’m wanting to obtain an 1850 /51 Navy cap & Ball BP revolver for re-enacting purposes and hoping to pick your brains for knowledge about the advantages / disadvantages involved with Police and finances .

I have identified three methods of obtaining a revolver which would only be used with BP powder, no projectile.

1... Buy for $300 locally a replica non firing . Great for show but that’s all.

2...Buy locally,( hopefully) an original up to $3000. Great for show, would ( dependent on condition) fire BP . No FAL required.
    3...Buy locally a modern day replica $900. Great for show, would fire powder .Requires a FAL endorsement.

I think I have identified the “hardware” issues but know little about the hoops to be leapt as regards the FAL apart from it being an “C” endorsement on my A which I have held for 20+ years. I also have a number of relevant 1800’s A cat firearms to add credence to any application. NOT looking at a “Theatrical” category as I will not be running such events.
    I seek your opinions on what I face for a C endorsement bearing in mind the apparent hostile official attitudes to anybody having any FAL’s,
    Thank You.

To be able to shoot it with blank loads for re-enacting, your only lawful option is '3'. An original black powder firearm possessed without license as an 'antique' may not be fired (blank or otherwise). An original BP pistol that you wished to use with blank loads for re-enacting would have to be on a 'C' license. It is stupid to use a valuable original when a stronger replica is much cheaper. You don't actually need a theatrical endorsement if the event is under the control of someone who is appropriately licensed. Your C endorsement would allow you to own it and carry it to such events (appropriately secured in a lockable container).

Quote Originally Posted by gundoc View Post
    ............................. An original black powder firearm possessed without license as an 'antique' may not be fired (blank or otherwise)..................
    Ahhhhh. Thank you for that clarification. A perspective i had not considered.

Do you have a view on the practicality / ease / difficulty of obtaining a "C" under the current regime?

Quote Originally Posted by Kiwi Sapper View Post
    Ahhhhh. Thank you for that clarification. A perspective i had not considered.

Do you have a view on the practicality / ease / difficulty of obtaining a "C" under the current regime?
    Ru a member of NZ antique arms ?
    Kiwi Sapper likes this.
    Boom, cough,cough,cough

Quote Originally Posted by Maca49 View Post
    Ru a member of NZ antique arms ?
    Ummmmmmm No.

I have considered that in the past but being "your average lazy bugger" have not rattled my dags sufficiently to do so. (if they would accept me)

As the interest is strong, to date I have been "sucking on the teat" of the British Militaria Forums. Why asketh thou? Would /could that accrue me some "brownie points" in Constable Plod's biased eyes?
    xtightg likes this.

Ummmmmmm No.

I have considered that in the past but being "your average lazy bugger" have not rattled my dags sufficiently to do so. (if they would accept me)

As the interest is strong, to date I have been "sucking on the teat" of the British Militaria Forums. Why asketh thou? Would /could that accrue me some "brownie points" in Constable Plod's biased eyes?
    Being a member of the NZ Antique & Historical Arms Assn is definitely a plus when it comes to getting your C endorsement as it helps to establish your 'bona fide collector' status. It also has the advantage of being in contact with like-minded people.

As I understand it you would need to get a B if you want to fire it regularly/ at all

My C license says no functioning firearms the way I read it, happy to be corrected

B means a min of 12 range visits a year and an unofficial limit of 12 pistols on your B (unlimited on C) but they stretch that for black powder in recognition that they aren't a primary homicide weapon of choice

If you have your eye on a particular piece and you want someone to hold it for you drop me a pm - I don't have an interest in BP pistols but have room if you want someone to keep it for you for a while

It'll usually take around 4 plus months to get your B in my experience and, as ever, when applying for ANY endorsement apply for AS MANY endorsements as possible - same price if you do two at once

also another recommend on joining Antique Arms - nice bunch the few I've met
    Kiwi Sapper likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by 308 View Post
    As I understand it you would need to get a B if you want to fire it regularly/ at all

My C license says no functioning firearms the way I read it, happy to be corrected

B means a min of 12 range visits a year and an unofficial limit of 12 pistols on your B (unlimited on C) but they stretch that for black powder in recognition that they aren't a primary homicide weapon of choice

If you have your eye on a particular piece and you want someone to hold it for you drop me a pm - I don't have an interest in BP pistols but have room if you want someone to keep it for you for a while

It'll usually take around 4 plus months to get your B in my experience and, as ever, when applying for ANY endorsement apply for AS MANY endorsements as possible - same price if you do two at once

also another recommend on joining Antique Arms - nice bunch the few I've met
    No, the B endorsement is for pistol club only. A C endorsement provides for pistols and restricted weapons (MG's & SMG's) to be used with blank ammunition for a theatrical event (eg; play, television or cinematic production. Re-enactment comes under the definition of 'play).
    308, Kiwi Sapper and rewa like this.

What Ho Chaps,

My thanks for your responses. Option 3 it seems to be,

I have "set fire to my socks and set off hot foot" to join the Taranaki branch of the NZ Antique & Historical Arms Assn...................if they will have me.

Any further opinions on how to pursue my negotiations with Constable Plod would be gratefully received.

What Ho Chaps,

My thanks for your responses. Option 3 it seems to be,

I have "set fire to my socks and set off hot foot" to join the Taranaki branch of the NZ Antique & Historical Arms Assn...................if they will have me.

Any further opinions on how to pursue my negotiations with Constable Plod would be gratefully received.
    Just tell them as it is. You've got a genuine interest judging by your dress sense. Just don't open the door to them like this...

Name:  external-content.duckduckgo.com.jpg
Views: 386
Size:  45.4 KB
    An itch ... is ... a desire to scratch

Quote Originally Posted by Cordite View Post
    Just tell them as it is. You've got a genuine interest judging by your dress sense. Just don't open the door to them like this...
    Your post is appreciated but it is unlikely, as I have always rejected offers of promotion to Sergeant

Your Humble Servant ,
    Private Parts, ( Retd.)
    5 th Mounted Gorgonzola's,
    North Cheam Division.

Quote Originally Posted by gundoc View Post
    No, the B endorsement is for pistol club only. A C endorsement provides for pistols and restricted weapons (MG's & SMG's) to be used with blank ammunition for a theatrical event (eg; play, television or cinematic production. Re-enactment comes under the definition of 'play).
    Gundoc's forgotten more than I'll ever know so wot e said

As for dealing with plod remember that they can only go on what you say so don't say much
    rewa likes this.

Your post is appreciated but it is unlikely, as I have always rejected offers of promotion to Sergeant

Your Humble Servant ,
    Private Parts, ( Retd.)
    5 th Mounted Gorgonzola's,
    North Cheam Division.
    North Cheam

I lived there for a while.
    "Sixty percent of the time,it works every time"

Ummmmmmm No.

I’d sign ya form!
    Kiwi Sapper likes this.
    Boom, cough,cough,cough

I’ll PM you the name of the guy you need to contact if you are in Taranaki?
    Kiwi Sapper and northdude like this.
    Boom, cough,cough,cough