Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Darkness Delta

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree4Likes
  • 1 Post By ihmsakiwi
  • 1 Post By ihmsakiwi
  • 1 Post By ihmsakiwi
  • 1 Post By ihmsakiwi

Thread: Thompson Contenders / XP100's

Thompson Contenders / XP100's

Hi Guys,

New to this site (never knew it existed).

Any Contender shooters here?
    Currently shoot contenders in .22, 223 and 32Mag.
    Also shoot .22 Anshutz pistols and Rem XP;s in 6.5BR, 7mmBR & 30BR.
    Recently sold a couple of freedom Arms revolvers to fund an old BMW 1150 so now just have my 25yr+ Dan Wesson in 357 SuperMag.
    Shoot most calibers both scoped and open sights.

But it just isnt spinning my wheels lately and I think the challenge of scoped rifle long-range may have something to do with that. I'm just looking to maybe get out of pistols and into F-Class shooting. Good move???

IHMSAKIWI
    Tommy likes this.

SEll the lot...and buy a Hyabusa... throttle-on..you wont Have to look back... "The mind is a Maze...Surf The Wave"

Quote Originally Posted by rewa View Post
    SEll the lot...and buy a Hyabusa... throttle-on..you wont Have to look back... "The mind is a Maze...Surf The Wave"
    I would last about a month of a 'busa. I'm a born again biker who had XS1100's and GSX 1100's back in day and they were considered powerful but todays super-bikes are a very different beast. No i'll stick to riding like a nana and enjoying yersteryears speeds.

But you are right about selling everything. Time to de-clutter.
    rewa likes this.

Yep.. I bought a 750 suzuki katana a couple of years-back, and wiped-out badly ,still recovering, lately bought an 1100 Virago (gay,but torquey-motor), bloody hard to get used-to the Cruiser style...maybe time for an old-style XS650 or something , or sell it all and take up pistol-shooting....

I'm not super versed on the Thompsons, but are they essentially the same action as the single shot rifles? Ie, you could put a stock on one and it's a rifle (with correct barrel etc)
    Identify your target beyond all doubt

Quote Originally Posted by Tommy View Post
    I'm not super versed on the Thompsons, but are they essentially the same action as the single shot rifles? Ie, you could put a stock on one and it's a rifle (with correct barrel etc)
    Yes usually Gen 1 actions preferred by pistol shooters due to triggers being easy to lighten. My 223 Rem. barrel is super accurate out to 200yds and my 30/30 barrel not too far behind.
    In .22LR amazing how good a match chamber and 10" barrel can perform. Probably doing 2" groups at 100yds with open sights whicj with a 10" sight radius ain't to bad.
    Got Juice? likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by ihmsakiwi View Post
    Yes usually Gen 1 actions preferred by pistol shooters due to triggers being easy to lighten. My 223 Rem. barrel is super accurate out to 200yds and my 30/30 barrel not too far behind.
    In .22LR amazing how good a match chamber and 10" barrel can perform. Probably doing 2" groups at 100yds with open sights whicj with a 10" sight radius ain't to bad.
    Bloody hell that's impressive. Once they are wearing a short barrel and pistol grip, they'd be a pistol (of course), but can they be converted back to being a rifle (and I mean both physically and legally)? @res was selling a x39 barrel recently, amongst others, and I'd have been all over it if I could get the main lump to attach it to

Hi Tommy,

I'm pretty sure they can here in NZ. Plenty of Mohawks have been cut down and turned into 14" pistols so I am sure transferring them from pistols back to rifles can be done. Your freindly AO would be the best person to rule on that. I know of one ansultz 14" Exemplar pistol that is now a very sweet single shot rifle in a beautiful NZ walnut stock. Length overall may be the issue with a 10" barrel but maybe a bloop tube attached may get arounbd this? Not sure.
    Tommy likes this.

Is it the case that you can chuck on any old barrel assembly, and off you go?

Within weight limits. Remembering we are only shooting at 200 yds and a 40 shot match with 5 sighters so big calibers are just too hard on the body.
    Most shot some form of wild-cat or at least they were wildcats back in the day, ie, 7mmTCU's, 6, 6.5, 7mm & 30Cal BR's. Also popular are slower rounds with bigger bullets like 357 SuperMags in both T/C's and revolvers.

I shoot the 200 metre standing disipline with a 10" T/C barrel in 32Mag with a 165gr cast bullet, 9.2grains of 2205 for 1020fps to keep it sub-sonic and when I do my part can knock over the 85lb heavy ram targets. My spotter tells me it looks like a mortar round trajectory.
    Last edited by ihmsakiwi; 06-02-2019 at 07:54 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by ihmsakiwi View Post
    Hi Guys,

New to this site (never knew it existed).

Any Contender shooters here?
    Currently shoot contenders in .22, 223 and 32Mag.
    Also shoot .22 Anshutz pistols and Rem XP;s in 6.5BR, 7mmBR & 30BR.
    Recently sold a couple of freedom Arms revolvers to fund an old BMW 1150 so now just have my 25yr+ Dan Wesson in 357 SuperMag.
    Shoot most calibers both scoped and open sights.

But it just isnt spinning my wheels lately and I think the challenge of scoped rifle long-range may have something to do with that. I'm just looking to maybe get out of pistols and into F-Class shooting. Good move???

IHMSAKIWI
    Quick update; Sold a few bits & pieces in the interim. Some nice gentleman on this site who will remain nameless saw my plight and offered me a Barnard actioned 6mmBR with inter-changeable 7mmWinchester barrel plus all the reloading gear plus projectiles. Arrived today!! Looks sweet in its McMillan stock. Now I just hope I can do it justice.
    Needing a suitable scope although a good friend has loaned me a Tasco 6 x 24 x 44 * and a Konuspro in 3 - 12 x 56 to tide me over till I find a scope. Looking at a Sightron I think.

It will be a joy to only be loading for two calibers for a change.