Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

DPT Terminator

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree28Likes

Thread: Tim Wallis

A sad but not unexpected loss. I first got to know him in the early '70's when I was making net guns. I last had good yarn with him about 18 months ago. A great guy with a life 'well lived' and he always had a friendly word. My condolences to his family.

Quote Originally Posted by Moa Hunter View Post
    Certainly a pioneer, a real go-er. From deer exports, imports of live animals, share farming in Russia, if there was a dollar to be made Tim was there and leading the way with his brilliant head for business, his innovation, great courage and determination.
    But there was a less pleasant aspect, cutting down the Fiordland herd and turning it into a remnant, decimating the trophy areas around Wanaka and doing annual stag culls in all the trophy producing headwaters in Canterbury. Destroying others businesses with exclusive deals and staff poaching. He had the ear of Govt ministers and could get Waro concessions in the name of the export dollar. He lost two sons in tragic circumstances and I have reflected on this as perhaps proof that 'The sins of the father will be visited upon the sons'
    'A life lived in full' but not without cost
    mate.....let the dead lay in peace........speaking ill of the dead does NO BODY any good...
    BRADS, 38 South and paremata like this.
    75/15/10 black powder matters

Bos
    His book is well worth a read
    Maca49 and A330driver like this.

Several years ago there was an airshow at some event up in Auckland city somewhere. Quite a few warbirds participated in the aerial acrobatics. Later in the afternoon I enjoyed the spectacle of several warbirds heading Southwards for home. Had my binos for great views. Just love the sound of the fighter engines from that era. A couple of the fighters heading south were a P51-D Mustang and a Spitfire ( looked like a Mk 1X but I'm not certain ) flying as a pair and when they were just about directly above me they started aerially cavorting like a couple of happy dogs playing together. Sweeping around , diving, climbing and any manner of manoeuvres. Almost like a real dogfight. It was thrilling to watch and listen to that. Then they parted, the Spitfire continuing South while the Mustang headed North, I think to it's base at Ardmore, South Auckland.
    I learned later that it was Sir Tim flying the Spitfire that day. And, I'm less certain about this, but I think I heard it was during that same return flight that he crashed the Spitfire on the final landing down South.
    Moa Hunter and Micky Duck like this.

Bit OT but 30.06king's post reminds me of the last Mosquito rebuilt at Ardmore. They did a test flight south over the Waikato River and did a big banking turn not far from my place. The sound of the twin Merlins was music to the ears.
    Maca49, Moa Hunter and shananah like this.

Quote Originally Posted by zimmer View Post
    Bit OT but 30.06king's post reminds me of the last Mosquito rebuilt at Ardmore. They did a test flight south over the Waikato River and did a big banking turn not far from my place. The sound of the twin Merlins was music to the ears.
    I saw that same Mosquito when it did a display over the race track in Pukekohe. The only time I've seen a Mosquito in flight in NZ. Such a beautiful aircraft, and the sound of those Merlins left me in rapture.
    Thereafter I think the Mosquito got shipped off to it's new owner in Texas.
    I've seen Mosquitos a couple of times in RAF aerial shows in the UK but it's that Kiwi flight that really sticks in my mind.
    Also, my apologies also for being OT.

Sir Tim would welcome talk about fellow birdmen....
    75/15/10 black powder matters

RIP in peace Sir Tim, absolute legend, wild man and iconic kiwi entrepreneur.

Since we are playing oneupmanship about Merlins ...

I was at Biggin Hill for the airshow back when it was still running. That year they had the largest flight of Merlin powered aircraft since WWII, with Spitfires, Hurricanes and a Lancaster. There were also Mustangs - couldn't tell you if hey were the Merlin powered model though as well as Messerschmitts and a Focke-Wulf.

The sound was glorious!
    shananah likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by 30.06king View Post
    Several years ago there was an airshow at some event up in Auckland city somewhere. Quite a few warbirds participated in the aerial acrobatics. Later in the afternoon I enjoyed the spectacle of several warbirds heading Southwards for home. Had my binos for great views. Just love the sound of the fighter engines from that era. A couple of the fighters heading south were a P51-D Mustang and a Spitfire ( looked like a Mk 1X but I'm not certain ) flying as a pair and when they were just about directly above me they started aerially cavorting like a couple of happy dogs playing together. Sweeping around , diving, climbing and any manner of manoeuvres. Almost like a real dogfight. It was thrilling to watch and listen to that. Then they parted, the Spitfire continuing South while the Mustang headed North, I think to it's base at Ardmore, South Auckland.
    I learned later that it was Sir Tim flying the Spitfire that day. And, I'm less certain about this, but I think I heard it was during that same return flight that he crashed the Spitfire on the final landing down South.
    That would have been quite a few severals I think, he pranged the XIV in 1996 & didn't fly again afaik. I don't think I'm being unfair to describe Sir Tim as a bit of a larrikin, it was the way he got things done, a bull at a gate at times but his results speak volumes for the success of his methods even if some toes got squashed occasionally. NZ & the warbirds movement has much to be grateful to him for. RIP Sir Tim.
    Micky Duck likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by shananah View Post
    That would have been quite a few severals I think, he pranged the XIV in 1996 & didn't fly again afaik. I don't think I'm being unfair to describe Sir Tim as a bit of a larrikin, it was the way he got things done, a bull at a gate at times but his results speak volumes for the success of his methods even if some toes got squashed occasionally. NZ & the warbirds movement has much to be grateful to him for. RIP Sir Tim.
    @shananah
    Yes, quite a few severals for sure.
    In fact it seems I have my dates and supposed facts a bit confused ( I'm an old fart ). I checked Google and you're correct, his prang was in 1996 but I was not at the location from which I saw the Mustang and Spitfire together before 1997. So it must have been one of the other airworthy Spitfires in NZ. Also, I definitely remember the news of Sir Tim's prang and in my mind I guess I connected my sighting with that but obviously the prang occurred a little earlier than I thought.
    I know my memory ain't what it used to be but good to know we can rely on some to remember things accurately. Thanks for your comments.
    Micky Duck and shananah like this.

Yep , RIP , his book is a good read if you don’t know much about him and his life and exploits , determined / driven / pioneer , things that make kiwis what we are .
    Maca49 and shananah like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Micky Duck View Post
    mate.....let the dead lay in peace........speaking ill of the dead does NO BODY any good...
    I've gotta say I dont think this is speaking "ill of the dead" -more like calling it it like it is. A spade is a spade. No doubt Wallis had his moments but I would think on a forum, we could respectfully comment on the facts and alot of what Moa said is correct. The wild deer herds were abused by punters like Wallis with little thought to sportsmen/women and the animals we love to hunt.
    Mistral likes this.
    "That is ever the way of the Highlander. He alters like a clear pool to every mood of the sky, so that the shallow observer knows not how deep the waters are."

Quote Originally Posted by imaca View Post
    Since we are playing oneupmanship about Merlins ...

I was at Biggin Hill for the airshow back when it was still running. That year they had the largest flight of Merlin powered aircraft since WWII, with Spitfires, Hurricanes and a Lancaster. There were also Mustangs - couldn't tell you if hey were the Merlin powered model though as well as Messerschmitts and a Focke-Wulf.

The sound was glorious!
    You are just spoilt
    Boom, cough,cough,cough

Never met him , wish I had .
    There are those that talk about living , and those that have .
    woods223 likes this.
    FALL IN LOVE WITH THE NUMBERS , NOT THE IDEA