Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

DPT ZeroPak

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree48Likes

Thread: 223 loading and trip to the range

Quote Originally Posted by 7mm Rem Mag View Post
    I have witnessed guys shooting hundreds of rounds and spending thousands in the name of accuracy and when they finally find it they never go out hunting. Gun just sits in gun safe.

Sometimes you are better off to just go hunting
    I agree the aim of the game for most of us (assumption on my part) is to find a good load for hunting, but this is the Reloading and Ballistics section, not the throw some rounds together and go hunting section, so I would absolutely expect to see that kind of carry on here

Ducking from whatever @micky_Duck wears on his feet

But yes we can get tied up looking for jam length or x amount of jump length and then realize they won't fit in the mag,for those of us who use magazines.
    It's more of a nice to know for me.
    flock and WOPASS like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Rated M for Magnum View Post
    I agree the aim of the game for most of us (assumption on my part) is to find a good load for hunting, but this is the Reloading and Ballistics section, not the throw some rounds together and go hunting section, so I would absolutely expect to see that kind of carry on here

But yes we can get tied up looking for jam length or x amount of jump length and then realize they won't fit in the mag,for those of us who use magazines.
    The good thing about the 62gr SP's is they fit the standard Tikka mag with plenty of room to spare, the 73gr ELD's on the other hand are longer than standard mag length with my load developement so far and they will get better the longer I go however I haven't measured my riffle yet to see how far I can go.

Thanks for your post
    Rated M for Magnum likes this.
    When hunting think safety first

Quote Originally Posted by Bobba View Post
    Would these work in a 1/12 twist or is it a case of give it a go to find out?
    These also come in 55gr so if you have no joy with the 62gr then your riffle will definately like the 55gr

The good thing about the 62gr SP's is they fit the standard Tikka mag with plenty of room to spare, the 73gr ELD's on the other hand are longer than standard mag length with my load developement so far and they will get better the longer I go however I haven't measured my riffle yet to see how far I can go.

Thanks for your post
    73gr ELD's along with 75 bthps, 77 hpbt & 77 Tmks are all designed to function well in AR15 magazines so can be loaded to shoot accurately out of standard tikka 223 mag.

The 75 ELDM & 80's and old Amax are quite different shaped bullets and really need to either single feed or use likes of Aussie waterman extended mag in Tikka.
    7mm Rem Mag and 25/08 IMP like this.

Quote Originally Posted by jackson21 View Post
    73gr ELD's along with 75 bthps, 77 hpbt & 77 Tmks are all designed to function well in AR15 magazines so can be loaded to shoot accurately out of standard tikka 223 mag.

The 75 ELDM & 80's and old Amax are quite different shaped bullets and really need to either single feed or use likes of Aussie waterman extended mag in Tikka.
    I have tried standard mag length but getting better results seating further out.

A good bloke on the forum gave me his measurements but Im a bit scared to go out any further incase I get one jamed in the spout.

I can give you an LOA of my 62 grn loaded in my Tikka and you can make up a bummy and then use a match or lighter to blacked the projectile and chamber it very careful if you see marks of the rifling in the black back it out.
    You will feel if it's jammed into the lands.

Sent from my CPH2145 using Tapatalk
    7mm Rem Mag likes this.

I meant dummy round not bummy

Micky Duck likes this.

I have tried standard mag length but getting better results seating further out.

A good bloke on the forum gave me his measurements but Im a bit scared to go out any further incase I get one jamed in the spout.
    Fair enough, can get some more powder in without compression also. Single feeding a 223 pain in the arse though!

The waterman mags are good, you can run 75 & 80's no problem. The Belmont factory 77 Hpbt ammo shoots very well out of a T3 varmint, oal of these are around 2.25" so fit in standard mag, I guess my point is there are also nodes back from chasing lands.

Quote Originally Posted by 25/08 IMP View Post
    I can give you an LOA of my 62 grn loaded in my Tikka and you can make up a bummy and then use a match or lighter to blacked the projectile and chamber it very careful if you see marks of the rifling in the black back it out.
    You will feel if it's jammed into the lands.

Im happy where I'm at with the 62gr. I am more after the 73gr ELDM info, I guess you would use the projectile you are going to load for to get the correct measurement.

Thanks for the offer, thats kind of you to offer

It's easy as to modify the standard 223 mag without the steel feed lips if you want to mag feed
    7mm Rem Mag likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by country cuts View Post
    It's easy as to modify the standard 223 mag without the steel feed lips if you want to mag feed
    Thanks for that, knowing me I would wreck it as I'm not machanically minded ha ha

Quote Originally Posted by 25/08 IMP View Post
    I meant dummy round not bummy

I still have your mag which is a bit longer which I will try properly once I settle on a load with the 73gr projectiles.

Can't get back to the range until after lambing now
    25/08 IMP likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Rated M for Magnum View Post

lace up rubber gummies LOL.....
    75/15/10 black powder matters

you could always single feed a long jobbie and have mag full of your slightly shorter slightly lighter jobbies as long as they pattern close together.....
    7mm Rem Mag likes this.
    75/15/10 black powder matters

Quote Originally Posted by Micky Duck View Post
    you could always single feed a long jobbie and have mag full of your slightly shorter slightly lighter jobbies as long as they pattern close together.....
    Thats a good idea MD, yes they all shoot around the same point of impact.