Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Alpine Terminator

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    sturg4

223 rem reloading advice

Its a few years since I have reloaded for any of the trebbly family. I have the dies (RCBS) but I lost the press in one of my moves. Does anyone have a press they want sell??? It doesnt need to be flash as long as it can reload a hundred rounds or so a year

Secondly have any amoung you all worked up a good hunting load for the 223.

I want to stick with the 55gr projectiles and I want to use a deep penetration projectile....not a varmint or target projectile.
    Over the years I Have used the nosler partition bullets to great effect and would like to use a modern day equivalent of this.

I want a load that is moving along alright, but accurate.

Rifle is Sako with stainless barrel 1x8 twist fitted by Collins & Bradley of Carterton.

Thanks in advance

I've got excellent accuracy results with the bog standard Hornady 55gr FMJBT/WC, and pretty much identical results with factory loaded cartridges with Hornady 55gr soft points. Deep penetration isn't something .223 is particularly renowned for. If that was my goal I'd be looking towards heavier projectiles like the 64gr Winchester Power Point, 65gr SGK, 70gr TSX or the 60gr partition (expensive). Why do you want to stick to 55gr?

sturg4
    Quote Originally Posted by Beavis View Post
    I've got excellent accuracy results with the bog standard Hornady 55gr FMJBT/WC, and pretty much identical results with factory loaded cartridges with Hornady 55gr soft points. Deep penetration isn't something .223 is particularly renowned for. If that was my goal I'd be looking towards heavier projectiles like the 64gr Winchester Power Point, 65gr SGK, 70gr TSX or the 60gr partition (expensive). Why do you want to stick to 55gr?

Hi Beavis, Call me a traditionalist if you like. I like the 55gr projectile. Deep penetration I am getting now. With most projectiles or parts of them I find lodged against the skin on the far side of a red deer ( PMC factory 55gr).

It has taken me years to use up all the Ammo supplied by DOC NZFS. But now I am going to start reloading again.
    New powders and projectiles are around that wernt around when I was reloading such as CFE 223, Barnes, Amax Vmax and all sorts of stuff.

I have read up all about them but thats not the point...Like all tools of the trade If you want to know what hammer is best..Talk to a builder. You want to know what kills deer really well, you used to talk to the cullers.

There must be guys and gals out there using this calibre a lot and have worked up a good load.

I've never actually shot a deer with .223 so I dunno. I'm tempted to take the Rock River on my Birthday bush trip/piss up in a couple weeks. I've seen the bastards run after a boiler room hit with a .270 at close range so always wondered how a .223 would go. I'm sure if you vaporized their lungs the effect would be the same.

sturg4
    Quote Originally Posted by Beavis View Post
    I've never actually shot a deer with .223 so I dunno. I'm tempted to take the Rock River on my Birthday bush trip/piss up in a couple weeks. I've seen the bastards run after a boiler room hit with a .270 at close range so always wondered how a .223 would go. I'm sure if you vaporized their lungs the effect would be the same.
    Pretty much the same effect. I dont like to even think of how many hours I have spent on my hands and knees blood trailing deer shot with 30. 06, 308, or 270. If you miss the engine room with any of them you have got a job ahead of you.

Caretaker
    Scribe, 60g Nosler partition, work up to 27g of 2208, select the best accuracy/velocity node.

Saw 9 Sika today, 3 of them were in range of the 223

R93
    The Hornady 55 gr SP without cannalure is what I have used for years on foot and for venison recovery. I coat my projectiles so use a slightly heavier charge to achieve the same results that BMII will get you with a 25.5 - 26grns charge. I rarely body shoot (just a habit from when you could make some coin, no other reason) but when I have it has killed as good as anything within 200yrds. I have fluffed the odd shot by going to far forward and smashed thru shoulders and ruined everything in between them. The little 55 Hornady is as good as anything else I have tried and I have tried a fair few. I have stuck with it because it works for me.

sturg4
    Quote Originally Posted by 7mmsaum View Post
    Scribe, 60g Nosler partition, work up to 27g of 2208, select the best accuracy/velocity node.

Saw 9 Sika today, 3 of them were in range of the 223
    Thanks for that information 7mm. We were using noslers back in the early seventies. They were about the best thing then. I just thought there might have been something better around.

How many of the 9 sika did you get then???.

sturg4
    Quote Originally Posted by R93 View Post
    The Hornady 55 gr SP without cannalure is what I have used for years on foot and for venison recovery. I coat my projectiles so use a slightly heavier charge to achieve the same results that BMII will get you with a 25.5 - 26grns charge. I rarely body shoot (just a habit from when you could make some coin, no other reason) but when I have it has killed as good as anything within 200yrds. I have fluffed the odd shot by going to far forward and smashed thru shoulders and ruined everything in between them. The little 55 Hornady is as good as anything else I have tried and I have tried a fair few. I have stuck with it because it works for me.
    Thanks for that R93. Very helpful. The old stuff is just as good as the new then it seems.

Shooting for the freezer now I knock out a rib either side. Sudden death, no meat damage and you can block both the bullet holes with a piece of moss dipped in pepper or flyspray to keep the flys from blowing the bullet wound

Caretaker
    Hunting buddy missed one at 35yrds shooting freehand and the others were hinds with healthy sized fawns, was looking for stags, heard them heehawing but none seen. Smoked a few 3-6 inch rocks earlier in the day at 840, 1033 and 1280yrds in gusty 3- 15mph winds from the shots 1.30-3pm position, learned more about the 162 amax in the wind.
    A big fast bullet beats a little fast bullet every time

R93
    Quote Originally Posted by Scribe View Post
    you can block both the bullet holes with a piece of moss dipped in pepper or flyspray to keep the flys from blowing the bullet wound
    Classic.