Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Delta Alpine

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: AR15 .300 Whisper / Blackout help

Official Cheese Shaman Spanners's Avatar

Re: AR15 .300 Whisper / Blackout help

A pistol length system (like mine) will cycle anything, however it is overgassed on hot supers
    Need to build a 2 position dual adjustable block.

A light buffer will hammer the gun to bits when shooting supers

Where does it dump the super and sub brass as in 2 oclock or 5 oclock etc

I have my ideas as to why, and its nothign to do with the loads you're shooting - see it time and time again from the same source.
    PM for more info

thats cool as, i want one for xmas santa, do you hear me santa !(def bugga)

P38

I'd start with the simple stuff .............. Lube it well

Tread carefully in the suck... ishoot10s's Avatar
    Just noticed you said you were using Vitavouri 110, I think that's quite different to the Hogdons 110 that's recommended on the 300BLK site. The Hogdons 110 will do both super and sub-sonics with a carbine gas system.

Ray.
    10MRT shooters do it 60 times, in two directions and at two speeds.

Sounds dumb, but are you putting a small dab of grease on the bolts wear surfaces (the 4x rails on the bolt and the hammer), this makes a big difference.

kj

IF 220gr bullets work , I would just be happy with that , from what i can recall , the 240gr bullets are much dearer than 200-220gr bullets , also depending on the twist of your barrel , the 240s may or may not stablise .

Later Chris

yea i hear ya bro. except i purchased heaps of 240s so i was trying to get them to work in it. wanted to see if the 240 being less stable, were more likely to tumble hard. not after benchrest accuracy as minute of fallow head or double tap to goat lungs is good enough under 100 yards, o well can still use them in the 300 rum if all else fails hahah. thanks bro will stick to 220s if all else fails.

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisF View Post
    IF 220gr bullets work , I would just be happy with that , from what i can recall , the 240gr bullets are much dearer than 200-220gr bullets , also depending on the twist of your barrel , the 240s may or may not stablise .

Later Chris

In my 300BLK with 16" barrel I had to open up the gas port a little to get it to cycle subsonic. Dan Hardy wasn't sure what size hole would work with subsonic so set hole for supersonic, anyway our local gunsmith had a drill reamer the right size, now works for both. Also found Hodgdon LILIGUN to work really well in both sub and supersonic with a lot less pressure signs - 125gn Nosler at 2295fps and 110gn V-Max 2395fps. I liked the 225gnBTHP Hornady for subsonic, was accurate with a soft skin that worked well on goats. Great little round on goats, the supersonics are by far the best proformers.

hardy built your AR ? yea i was hoping to hook up with spanners next time hes back and do something similar, be intersted in some more details about opening up the gas port and reamers used for sure! thanks for the loads till will have to try the 225z

Quote Originally Posted by 300MAG View Post
    In my 300BLK with 16" barrel I had to open up the gas port a little to get it to cycle subsonic. Dan Hardy wasn't sure what size hole would work with subsonic so set hole for supersonic, anyway our local gunsmith had a drill reamer the right size, now works for both. Also found Hodgdon LILIGUN to work really well in both sub and supersonic with a lot less pressure signs - 125gn Nosler at 2295fps and 110gn V-Max 2395fps. I liked the 225gnBTHP Hornady for subsonic, was accurate with a soft skin that worked well on goats. Great little round on goats, the supersonics are by far the best proformers.

hi dave
    Im having exactly the same issue with 240smk using n110 from my dpms 16 inch barrel with carbine gas port. they go super sonic at 9.9grn and still wont cycle. The most reliable mix ive found so far is 9.1 grn lil gun, 240smk oal 2.250. the long oal is to maximize chamber psi. this load has been 90% reliable but on a cold day the odd round will crack.
    My supers im running sierra 125 sp with 18gr n110 (full case!) oal 2.060 MOA pulling abt 2200ft. Using h110 19.9grn 2400ft 1/2 MOA, getting pretty hot. and lil gun 19 grn with 125 nosler bt 2350ft, MOA oal 2.10
    hope this helps