Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Darkness Alpine

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By Doon
  • 1 Post By 6.5 CRD

Thread: Could any quickload experts run a simulation for me?

LJP

Could any quickload experts run a simulation for me?

Most 223 magazine lengths requires a projectile jammed way in deep which must compromise powder capacity somewhat. I'm really curious of what speeds are attainable in a 20" barrel with the trusty 222 Remington loaded to an OAL of 2.260" with one of Sierra's 77gr tipped matched kings stuffed in sako brass. Hoping someone with quickload could give me an idea of attainable speeds. Have an average shooting kimber 223 with a 2.3" magazine box that could be up for a new barrel.

Quote Originally Posted by LJP View Post
    Most 223 magazine lengths requires a projectile jammed way in deep which must compromise powder capacity somewhat. I'm really curious of what speeds are attainable in a 20" barrel with the trusty 222 Remington loaded to an OAL of 2.260" with one of Sierra's 77gr tipped matched kings stuffed in sako brass. Hoping someone with quickload could give me an idea of attainable speeds. Have an average shooting kimber 223 with a 2.3" magazine box that could be up for a new barrel.
    what twist is you 222 to run a 77 tmk?

LJP
    I’m thinking a 1-7” twist would work.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dont really understand why you would rebarrel a 223 to 222 and run long bullets!

In grt you would be lucky to get 2600-2700 and I dont think your brass woud last very long.
    6.5 CRD likes this.

Really quick check. May be out as haven't used QL for yonks. Not sure about powder.
    222 Rem 100%.pdf
    222 Rem Max Pressure.pdf

Name:  222 Rem 100%.jpg
Views: 170
Size:  129.1 KB
    Name:  222 Rem Max Pressure.jpg
Views: 166
Size:  125.3 KB

Quote Originally Posted by Doon View Post
    Dont really understand why you would rebarrel a 223 to 222 and run long bullets!

In grt you would be lucky to get 2600-2700 and I dont think your brass woud last very long.
    Yeah i just fiddled around with it in GRT too, Looks like mid 2600 would even be a push with 2206h/cfe223 etc. Be far better off staying .223
    Doon likes this.

LJP
    Thanks for that guys. Sounds like I need to investigate extending magazine length as I really need the powder capacity of the 223 case to motivate the heavies effectively.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The kimber 84m .223 action is easy to get some extra length in the mag box as it’s the same length action as the 308. There is a spacer block you need to remove from the mag box shorten it up then weld back in. You then also need to modify the blade ejector to work with the new length of the mag box.

I have a 84m kimber set up in .223ai shoots 75gn amax around 2900-3000 21” barrel
    I think I opened the mag box an extra 5mm

LJP
    Quote Originally Posted by nmcm View Post
    The kimber 84m .223 action is easy to get some extra length in the mag box as it’s the same length action as the 308. There is a spacer block you need to remove from the mag box shorten it up then weld back in. You then also need to modify the blade ejector to work with the new length of the mag box.

I have a 84m kimber set up in .223ai shoots 75gn amax around 2900-3000 21” barrel
    I think I opened the mag box an extra 5mm
    Being able to lengthen the magazine 5mm makes a massive difference on the powder capacity. Thanks for that... I definately need to explore that further!