Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

ZeroPak Alpine

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By johnd
  • 1 Post By johnd

Thread: Neck tension

zimmer likes this.

Nice work. No variation when checking after?

Bought a Forster 3 brush motor mica lubricator years ago. Never liked the mica except for not making your hands black. Didn't use their 3 brush holder long before I just unscrewed the brushes and used them individually.

Still experimenting with different inside neck lubes since I converted to expander mandrels and stopping using bushing dies.
    Used the wee balls (or shot) and graphile method, Imperial Wax on a cotton bud, One Shot sprayed at an angle into the neck and so on.

Wanted to try Neolube but couldn't get it. Brewed up what I believe Neolube is but wasn't that successful, the IPA evaporated to quick. The Neolube or my equivalent is applied to the to be seated projectiles. AMP has done a decent amount of research on this.

@johnd I'll make an applicator like yours. Nice one. Simplest is best. Should be posted in the homemade reloading tools section.

@zimmer thanks, yes I have done the home brew neolube, i used Bunnings isopropyl that stays wet for a bit longer before flash off, but i think that the liquid was running the lube off into the tray. It did provide a small level of lubricity, but maybe not enough.
    I think the tension has gotten mixed up as i combined two brass lots, but most of this brass is well up on firings..... maybe 10 and 15.
    @charliehorse they have sprung back to about 0.3065 - 0.3060 from what I can tell (vernies in the neck) Still the odd one that feels tight when passed over the makeshift mandrel, but i cant determine a definitive measurement. When I seat a proper bullet in them i can cull the heavier seaters out.
    Probably 95% have been cured, but the proof will be in the elevation spread. I've either recovered some grouping or lost it completely
    charliehorse likes this.

I used the Jaycar IPA which is 99%. That may have been my problem with it flashing off too quick. Bought it during the Covid crisis.
    The Bunnings (and the M10) versions I think have a water content.
    I originall tried it after learning that RK used that method. Don't know if he still does.