Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Darkness Alpine

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree16Likes

Thread: Norma vs Lapua Brass: Pressure

Norma vs Lapua Brass: Pressure

What's peoples experience with Norma and Lapua brass if shooting same load in each? Is Lapua more pressure tolerant?

Do they have the same internal volume? . .. if not then identical loads will produce different pressures right there. Ive recently used both in 6.5x55 with modern "snotty" loads and they were very similar with no discernable difference, but the case volume was very close.
    Tikka7mm08 and shooternz like this.

Have found pressure reached sooner with lapua, less case capacity usually meaning less powder for same velocity.
    Tikka7mm08, shooternz and T.FOYE like this.

Yep my memory is Lapua probably hits pressure sooner. Switching the 6.5PRC from Norma to Lapua.

I've found Lapua to require reducing loads but running in the upper nodes doesn't destroy brass.
    veitnamcam and Tikka7mm08 like this.

If you weigh the brass you'll normally find Lapua weighs heaviest so more metal= less internal volume. Norma can be very close to Lapua though, I have mixed Lapua and Norma 22.250 and load it up the same. If it was something like Hornady I'd treat as a different load as thinner more internal volume.
    Tikka7mm08 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Tikka7mm08 View Post
    Yep my memory is Lapua probably hits pressure sooner. Switching the 6.5PRC from Norma to Lapua.
    Gotta ask.....why ? it looks like your load development was done and dusted ?
    #DANNYCENT

I've found norma softer, and requiring more trimming than lapua.
    P

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk
    Ubique.
    Once divided, always conquered.

Quote Originally Posted by jackson21 View Post
    If you weigh the brass you'll normally find Lapua weighs heaviest so more metal= less internal volume. Norma can be very close to Lapua though, I have mixed Lapua and Norma 22.250 and load it up the same. If it was something like Hornady I'd treat as a different load as thinner more internal volume.
    Better to measure H²O volume, the extraction groove cut on brass is more liable of differing weight than internal case volume. It's why a lot of sensible people don't weight sort brass.

Quote Originally Posted by dannyb View Post
    why ? it looks like your load development was done and dusted ?
    Think you answered your own question there!
    dannyb likes this.

In .284W, my experience is limited to Lapua and Peterson. The Lapua is very pressure tolerant and generally forgiving. The Peterson will give sticky extraction a full 100fps lower than the Lapua.
    Tikka7mm08 likes this.

@dannyb because I bought used Norma brass to begin with and then could only find Lapua brass.
    dannyb likes this.

I reckon the Norma will be fine for hunting, try it and see. On a Longshot just grab a Lapua headstamp to be sure. That's the thing with Lapua you start shooting away in the field then start worrying where your brass has gone instead of concentrating on what you are doing.

If you've got your col off ogive sorted Norma should be good, if you want to measure the H2O's off both and send to me with details of ammo I can run through quickload see if it shows much major pressure or velocity differences?
    dannyb likes this.

Hopefully the Norma will last a bit longer now load sorted. Lapua in reserve. I'll just shoot same load in Lapua and see...not expecting too much variation as reading up Lapua will out perform Norma on pressure so N to L should be OK vs L to N.
    dannyb likes this.

I'll be re doing my load for 284 once my lapua brass arrives.

I'll be going from Winchester to lapua brass so going odd this thread. I should start a good few grains below what my Winchester load is and work up from there if I'm reading correctly ?
    dannyb likes this.

Well if the Win .284 brass is anything like their other brass, chances are it is lighter than the Lapua. Certainly if that proves so, I'd be backing off any warmish load a good two grains to start with.