Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

DPT ZeroPak

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Like Tree19Likes

Thread: Nosler 150 gn LRAB's - any good on game ?

@chainsaw shot two reds <20m and a stag at 200m this roar. All dropped cold
    7mm08 22inch barrel pushn hard at 2750fps

great to0 see they work up close as well as down range. What powder u running ? 2750 fps is "up there" ! I'm hitting pressure signs with 2208 at book max (41.5 gn) with 150gn Noslers BT's & after backing off a tad on load getting 2620 fps & 0.7 moa

yip ;-) 2208 43.1gn 1moa need to play with seating depth. i was told (dont quote me) the lrabs have less barrel contact area which will lead to faster velocities

Quote Originally Posted by Tahr View Post
    I'm a bit disappointed with 3065 fps with the 150grn LRAB (270wsm) I'm getting, that's right on the pressure limit (one grain higher gives ejector marks). Quickload told me (@64k psi) I should be close to 3150 with N560, and QL is usually on the money.

I'm wondering about 2 things. Firstly, maybe the long bearing surface of the LRAB pushes the pressure up, or that I would do better using Norma cases that stand a bit more pressure, rather than Remington that I'm using.

I guess a third thing is that I could try a slower powder, but apart from MRP and R22 which you can't get, N560 is the best option on Qiuckload. 2225 (Retumbo) and 2217 are both down around 3k. That's confused though by Ryan_S getting good speeds with 150 Berger and 2225.

Any thoughts?

Or should I just be happy, and go and shoot stuff?
    I foolishly thought my amax (162gr) charge would be a safe start charge for the 150 lrab and hit pressure, they seem to take a fair bit more force to get down the barrel than the amax regardless of the weight difference

Shot a deer tonight with the LRAB 150 grm (270wsm). Hardly a test at 117 yards though. Dropped it and passed trough. Its probably still going. Nice expansion going by the out hole.

It was a bit of a weird stag.

I see Nosler has revised its BC figures for the LRAB range (everyone thought they were dreaming). 7mm 150gn is now 0.546 G1. The same weight in ELD-X is 0.574 BC. The LRAB is adjusted down from an initially advertised 0.611 - a massive difference.

Litz tested these when they first came out & published a BC1 of 0.576 based on a 1:9 twist bbl.

New for 2018, we have had the Ballistic Coefficients (BC’s) of our AccuBond-Long Range (ABLR) bullets tested and verified with Doppler radar. This has resulted in a revision of our published BC numbers to more accurately match real-world flight characteristics. Using Doppler radar to verify our BC’s allows us to provide the most accurate BC numbers to our customers while increasing the accuracy of long range ballistics calculations. To perform this critical testing, we selected the Energetic Materials Research and Testing Center (EMRTC) at the New Mexico Institute of Mining and Technology. EMRTC is the largest privately owned ordnance and ballistic test facility outside the government, encompassing 40 square miles and over 30 test ranges. EMRTC is internationally recognized as a center for excellence in energetics and ballistics research and testing. We are pleased to provide these highly accurate BC numbers and feel confident that they will bring a new degree of precision to your long-range ballistics calculations. For the utmost accuracy, we recommend using the G7 BC when calculating trajectories with the ABLR bullet line.*

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
    outdoorlad likes this.

The revised BC’s are here guys https://www.nosler.com/accubond-long-range-bullet/
    We have some stock at present and have more on the way so just let us know what your after and we will get it in info@blackwatchreloading.co.nz

150 Accubond LR's back in stock guys

Quote Originally Posted by 300AAC View Post
    150 Accubond LR's back in stock guys
    Good price too! They used to be around $130 from various other retailers when I was using them!
    300AAC likes this.

Nice website to go with that pricing too. Ctl-D'd.
    300AAC likes this.