Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

DPT Alpine

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: Trapping Tips - the cotton tail flavour

Trapping Tips - the cotton tail flavour

Righto lads, let's here your advice!

I am wanting to trap rabbits in live capture box traps, so that if I manage to trap something I don't want to kill it can be released. Also I wouldn't want a stoat/feral cat/dog running off with my poor man's chicken dinner once I've snared it.

I have made a box trap very similar to the one in the video, the same triggering system anyway.

How to build a box trap - YouTube

What are your tips for baits, placement, or even traps? Am I barking up the wrong tree? I could probably make some wire snares somewhere a little less likely to catch a dog but at the moment I'll stick with the box traps I am planning on making a slightly improved MkII this arvo so chuck in your ideas before I start building shit again.

EDIT - basically the one I built yesterday is a wooden frame and wrapped in chicken wire. I got very frustrated to say the least while making it. The frame wood I chose was shite and it was timely and annoying to use chicken wire for the entire trap. I am going to make MkII from fence palings and just chicken wire one end (like the trap in the vid). Palings are pretty cheap and will be a lot easier to nail together than shitty thin framing crap! Also the trigger I made isn't really long enough - it'd probably take a fair bit of wiggling by the rabbit to un-hitch the notched stick that holds the door up.
    She loves the free fresh wind in her hair; Life without care. She's broke but it's oke; that's why the lady is a tramp.

Rule 4: Identify your target beyond all doubt

Dougie, my father would place a trap (as in gin, which are banned now but similar ones are legal now) at the entrance of a warren burrow or a stop (this is the burrow where there are kits, bebe buns in the nest and dam closes off the entrance after going in to feed the youngin....sorry Dougie you know all this anyway!!) and ever so gently put some fresh dirt over the top of the trap...fresh dirt being the operative word as fresh dirt appeals to rabbits...

I dont know how a box trap would go with rabbits...actually...
    ...amitie, respect mutuel et amour...

...le beau et le bon, cela rime avec Breton!...

I don't know much about rabbits so thanks EBs I have only just shot them at night in a wide open paddock. Can you explain your father's trap a little more please?

At this spot I have seen plenty of them coming out from the fringes of the gorse and broom thickets to the edge of the grassy paddocks during the last hour of sunlight. There are bunny poos allllllllllllllllllllll over this place. I even saw a big fat white Bugs yesterday, peeking out onto the track in front of me.

I am finding it a little frustrating to find a good spot for my box trap though - so many dogs go to this area that I can't tell what is a game trail or just where the family fido has gone smashing through the grass.
    She loves the free fresh wind in her hair; Life without care. She's broke but it's oke; that's why the lady is a tramp.

This is an interesting article on gin traps...they are banned but the new fangled ones are probably no less effective with the end result being the same...if you have lived through like our grandparents and parents did the rabbit plague here and the possum one nowadays no one would believe the numbers you are meaning...my father shot 1500 rabbits out his living room window one day when the rabbits were in plague mode...so the good old faithful gin was party to the control work...anyway, enough of this...

GIN TRAPS

here is something on snares...be careful out there, Dougie...even a snare could nobble a little dog...oh thats right, they are not DOGS!! they are potlickers or something equally vexatious!!! I would definately not use a trap in that area...probably a snare would be the best way to go by virtue of it being very inconspicuous and simply made...I do not know the legaliities of any of this...

Philproof - Traps
    Snaring Rabbits and Hares

Meant to add that when the kits can move around and getting to the stage that they will soon leave the burrow to feed, the dam will leave the stop open so they can come and go...when they are at this age they are known as runners...the dogs love nothing better than to have a stop dug up and there be runners in it...ypu can tell a burrow is an opened stop by the traffic packed dirt at the entrance...buck rabbits. and I am sure does in estrum, will leave scats, piles of strategically placed poos and mimi sort of like leaving a message on a dodgey public toilet wall
    Last edited by EeeBees; 17-11-2012 at 01:10 PM.

P38
    Dougie

I know bugger all about this as I've never trapped rabbits before but I do know.........

Bugs Bunny had a powerfull hunger for carrots and Peter Rabbit loved Mr McGregors cabbage patch.

So I'm thinking bait your trap with some fresh Carrots and Cabbage leaves.

Lettuce know how you get on

Cheers
    Pete
    Dougie likes this.

the.22 with a silencer is a great wee trap
    veitnamcam and Neckshot like this.
    "Thats not a knife, this is a knife"
    Rule 2: Always point firearms in a safe direction
    CFD

tps://www.timeanddate.com/countdown/generic?iso=20180505T00&p0=264&msg=Dundees+Countdo wn+to+Gamebird+Season+2018&font=cursive

Quote Originally Posted by Dundee View Post
    the.22 with a silencer is a great wee trap
    If anyone reading this has a nice farm they wouldn't mind me doing the above, please PM me! Until then Dundee unfortunately it's not possible in this area Jet chased another one today. Another white one. Would these be unwanted pets released then bumping the uglies in the wild? I've never seen a white rabbit in the wild before.

As Eeebees said fresh/overturned dirt attracts them like honey.
    You may want to try a long box they can go through, with dirt sprinkled in it and a snare in the middle.
    A dog will go a small box with a live rabbit in it.
    The Biggest Room is the Room for Improvement

Of course I'd just tell Cruze and Witchie to get one and that would be that (with teeth marks)
    The Biggest Room is the Room for Improvement

EBs that last link was really cool, thank you!

Quote Originally Posted by Barefoot View Post
    As Eeebees said fresh/overturned dirt attracts them like honey.
    You may want to try a long box they can go through, with dirt sprinkled in it and a snare in the middle.
    A dog will go a small box with a live rabbit in it.
    Ahhhhhhhhhhh I like this idea of the box. Snared rabbit would make an easy meal for a dog but not so much if it was in a box.

Quote Originally Posted by Dougie View Post
    If anyone reading this has a nice farm they wouldn't mind me doing the above, please PM me! Until then Dundee unfortunately it's not possible in this area Jet chased another one today. Another white one. Would these be unwanted pets released then bumping the uglies in the wild? I've never seen a white rabbit in the wild before.
    The domestic and feral rabbits interbreed very nicely, thank you indeed!!! There used to be a group of black rabbits the Napier side of the Rangitaiki (SP????) pub on the Taupo Road...havent seen any for ages and ages so the genes must have come to an abrupt end.

I'll let you know how I get on might catch a whitey for ya!

We have had white rabbits on the farm,I caught one with a fishing net and we had it caged for about a year before it dug out.Also caught a black one by hand and had them in the pen for some time.

I'll see if I can dig out the pics.

The feral rabbits we caught weren't interested in carrots but lettuce and they love dock leaves.
    "Thats not a knife, this is a knife"
    Rule 2: Always point firearms in a safe direction
    CFD

tps://www.timeanddate.com/countdown/generic?iso=20180505T00&p0=264&msg=Dundees+Countdo wn+to+Gamebird+Season+2018&font=cursive

Zilch in the traps this morning.