Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Alpine DPT

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree4Likes
  • 1 Post By stug
  • 2 Post By Friwi
  • 1 Post By PERRISCICABA

Thread: Binoculars for hunting

Binoculars for hunting

Looking at getting some just wanted to hear what magnification would be suitable, any thoughts what to go for.

I've got 10x42 Minox HG I would suggest any 10x42 or 8x30's if you prefer the wider field of view.
    Ryan_Songhurst likes this.

Fulla
    You didn't mention what size the target is or how far away.
    If you just want something general, I like x42 or x50
    Hit up the old girls fly buys you will find a general pair on there. And there not bad. Flick through to the bigger ones tho.

Budget??
    All those with dogs waiting no longer fear death. Those with many dogs waiting even welcome it in it's time.

i use leupold yosimites 8x30s, had them for years and years iv spotted deer and other aminals miles and miles away and im too scared to get a new set because they've never let me down. theyre also cheap as chips

If your going to hunt close like in the bush, go 8x42 but if you are spotting stuff beyond 500 m, go 10x42.
    Save as much as you can and buy the best you can afford. If your budget is limited try to stretch to the 1000$ mark to get a pair of Steiner or something similar. Otherwise a second hand pair of Leica and Swarovski , and you will never look back!
    mikee and Pengy like this.

I wouldn't take too much notice of what "power" others recommend, you need to get something that suits your eye. Some time ago I was after a set of top end range finder binos after many years with a set of 7x42 Minox (towards the higher end of their quality range). Anyhoo I'd decided that 10x would be better, luckily I had a road trip to do so looked at nearly every pair of Swaro's and Leica's for sale in the Sth Is. After looking at only a few pairs I determined that I much preferred 8x rather than 10x, to me the narrowed FOV of the 10x didn't suit the way I glass. With both the Minox's at 7x and Leica's at 8x I see as much game at any distance as any of the guys I hunt with (mainly Tahr, so long distances and big country). YMMV. Cheers

I prefer 10x as I can get to 9x with my rifle scope.....10x50s are my truck or tops pair big and heavy,old but very clear and small pair of 10x compacts get the nod for going bush or walking up ducks,they small and light and fit in top pocket....trying VERY hard to retrain oneself to ID things with binos rather than scope takes some doing. having them handy and easy to use helps.

I am selling a Leupold Acadia 8X42 brand new, still in the plastic wrap. $350 shipped.

You would still own them Mac if you had given me a heads up!!!! Hahahahaha
    Boom, cough,cough,cough

Yeah @Maca49… It was somewhere else at the time, i JUST got it from Leopold NZ as a replacement for the one that went to the factory and never came back. Well bad luck on me, so far, someone will get a bargain "I" think.

Mac
    Maca49 likes this.

I've got Yukon 10x42 power ones as my main set. Very happy with them, crystal clear picture, nice and compact/light but power to burn. Have magnetic swivel type covers on the front which are handy and sun guards/covers for your eyes at the rear.

Also use a smaller 8x25 pair if im just pig hunting and want to scope out a little but don't want the extra weight/size of my main pair. Also don't mind smashing the smaller ones about when pushing through the thick stuff. Their Bushnell water/bashproof ones, do the trick for what i need them for but have nothing on the Yukons.

Tentman is correct, quality is better than magnification. I use the top model Zen rays 10x43 and they are great, but I've also looked through some 8 power Leica's and Swarvos and they are much easier on the eye for extended glassing.

We run EL's but in future we would get SLC 15x. Extended range is better .