Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

DPT ZeroPak

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By Hiawatha
  • 1 Post By aetchell

Thread: Boar Bush gully, Featherston

Boar Bush gully, Featherston

Hi all. Anyone done any Bush hunting around this area just outside featherston? If so, any good. I'm mainly interested in pigs. Any grief or disapproval from the locals? I heard that some old guy fired at a policeman there last year who was investigating some missing trampers.

Any info appreciated.

Regards
    Ash

Sent from my ELE-L09 using Tapatalk

As with all pig hunting the locals jealously guard their local pig hunting. Some of them have different morals codes on how to work through a disagreement if you catch my drift. This is not just Featherston, but NZ wide when it comes to pig hunting. I think from memory that BBG is not a permitted hunting area. I think it is managed by SWDC as a water catchment. Have a look at the Rimutaka boundaries. You don't say if you have pig dogs. If not that will certainly help you with the locals. Heaps of goats in there. Most of the bush is scrubby or looks that way. You can access from the hill road by Abbotts creek and go up the pylon track but check if this is permitted or just done by lots of people. Bush hunting for pigs without dogs is hard work unless there are a ton of pigs and good bush.
    Moa Hunter likes this.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Hiawatha View Post
    As with all pig hunting the locals jealously guard their local pig hunting. Some of them have different morals codes on how to work through a disagreement if you catch my drift. This is not just Featherston, but NZ wide when it comes to pig hunting. I think from memory that BBG is not a permitted hunting area. I think it is managed by SWDC as a water catchment. Have a look at the Rimutaka boundaries. You don't say if you have pig dogs. If not that will certainly help you with the locals. Heaps of goats in there. Most of the bush is scrubby or looks that way. You can access from the hill road by Abbotts creek and go up the pylon track but check if this is permitted or just done by lots of people. Bush hunting for pigs without dogs is hard work unless there are a ton of pigs and good bush.
    Or you strike it lucky and a sow is on heat

I did a drive up there and the owner was pissed about poachers

It's within the doc boundries and I've been up the pylon track a lot too as that's within the boudries. I've pulled a pig out of there recently and shot a trophy goat up there. Seen a few pigs too. I dont use dogs.

There is 2 tracks from the way in to pylon.
    One on the left that crosses the creek and another turns around to tbe right near the start.
    Are these both considered pylon track or something else.
    Pretty keen to look at goats up there

Some real drop kicks must use it - they leave rotting carcasses and skins by the roadside. Twice over the last year or so Ive cleaned up their mess by the big concrete blocks at the start.

Quote Originally Posted by Tahr View Post
    Some real drop kicks must use it - they leave rotting carcasses and skins by the roadside. Twice over the last year or so Ive cleaned up their mess by the big concrete blocks at the start.
    Yeah. Ive seen a couple of carcasses there too. Someone droppes pigs guts right near the entry point too a few weeks ago. The bush up there is always full of rubbish. Lots of packaging down in the bush. Powerade bottles, coffee thermos cups. Fish sauce. Some twunt even drove up there at some point and fly tipped a ton of toys. WTF.

Quote Originally Posted by chrome View Post
    There is 2 tracks from the way in to pylon.
    One on the left that crosses the creek and another turns around to tbe right near the start.
    Are these both considered pylon track or something else.
    Pretty keen to look at goats up there
    Yeah, i think so. The first one is OK for goats and pigs (if your lucky) head up tjhe second one if you want to go after deer and head down thw hills on the northside. The second track goes all the way to kiatoke and the rimutaka summit. I only do the ahorter fiest track. Plenty of sign up there for goats. Ive taken a pig out of there too not far from the track and bumped a couple up on the unmarked track that leads to the ridgeline. Just be careful uo there as there are trampers and occasionally other hunterd. The last pylon is also close to private land so be careful if you shoot down that hill.

I shot the attached monster up near that last pylon.

Canuck79 likes this.

Nice billy mate.. found a map picture that answered my thoughts.
    The right is to tbd top of the hill.
    Tbe other is to kaitoke.
    Was interested as I live in featherston now.
    Need to sort another centrefire before I venture up those ways

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by chrome View Post
    Nice billy mate.. found a map picture that answered my thoughts.
    The right is to tbd top of the hill.
    Tbe other is to kaitoke.
    Was interested as I live in featherston now.
    Need to sort another centrefire before I venture up those ways

If you go up the shorter track there is an unmarked track at the first pylon which leads to the ridge line. Its a little bit more interesting that walking up that depressing clay track. You stand more chance of bumping a pig too using that track.

Hey do you needca permit to hunt up the pylon track area?.
    Is it the same as the rimutaka one?