Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

ZeroPak Alpine

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree112Likes

Thread: Deer on the side of the road

Name:  CD96BD58-873B-4EC5-9F92-826C17EBB539.jpeg
Views: 857
Size:  95.5 KB
    From a driven boar hunt in France back in 17
    It's all fun and games till Darthvader comes along
    I respect your beliefs but don't impose them on me.

That's a great photo @Sideshow
    Micky Duck likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan_Songhurst View Post
    This is the result of someone fucking with us up back of our farm...
    Attachment 210329
    What the fuck?
    Why can't some shitheads keep their hands to themselves?

That’s always been a spot people hang skins, for as long as I can remember.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Micky Duck and BSA270 like this.
    I'm drawn to the mountains and the bush, it's where life is clear, where the world makes the most sense.

Quote Originally Posted by JoshC View Post
    That’s always been a spot people hang skins, for as long as I can remember.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    So just a thing to do locally rather than a poacher saying FU to the landowner?

Quote Originally Posted by MarkN View Post
    Yes I'd like to know why the skins get hung on fences.

I see a lot in my travels, I haven't found an answer, but amongst the candidates are:

A display of machismo by the hunters showing that they're good at it...

A warning to pigs and deer that if they come 'round here, this'll be what happens to them...

I dunno

I hadn't heard of the, F' you to farmers, one....
    never seen it until I moved to Taranaki - pig skins on fences road signs etc - me pig hunting mate here reckoned it used to mean dont bother hunting here the mob gone or the boar that was here has been taken - well now I reckon its just a bloody wank - same as driving thru town with a nice piece of pork slowly going off strapped onto top of dog box in the sun instead of getting it straight into a chiller
    308 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by 308 View Post
    So just a thing to do locally rather than a poacher saying FU to the landowner?
    There's a bit more of a story to it. There was pig skins hanging there before our time here and at one stage they left a heap of offal just laying there beside the road so I put a post on the local buy sell group asking people to stop doing it and then the games began, gutbags left in our gateway just down the road from it etc, we started padlocking the gate and the chain got cut off it a couple times. There's a paddock just before it and we've found gutbags and heads laying in there several times where they've been shot from the road and we find ute tracks through the grass on a regular basis. There's been a pile of piglets all torn up by dogs left there and several early velvet bucks heads left hanging on the fence last year too, I probably should have just left it alone but since I put that post up it's like a fun game for whoever it is that does it
    270 is a harmonic divisor number[1]
    270 is the fourth number that is divisible by its average integer divisor[2]
    270 is a practical number, by the second definition
    The sum of the coprime counts for the first 29 integers is 270
    270 is a sparsely totient number, the largest integer with 72 as its totient
    Given 6 elements, there are 270 square permutations[3]
    10! has 270 divisors
    270 is the smallest positive integer that has divisors ending by digits 1, 2, …, 9.

There's a bit more of a story to it. There was pig skins hanging there before our time here and at one stage they left a heap of offal just laying there beside the road so I put a post on the local buy sell group asking people to stop doing it and then the games began, gutbags left in our gateway just down the road from it etc, we started padlocking the gate and the chain got cut off it a couple times. There's a paddock just before it and we've found gutbags and heads laying in there several times where they've been shot from the road and we find ute tracks through the grass on a regular basis. There's been a pile of piglets all torn up by dogs left there and several early velvet bucks heads left hanging on the fence last year too, I probably should have just left it alone but since I put that post up it's like a fun game for whoever it is that does it
    time for a couple trail cams ? if there is somewhere handy enough to conceal them ?
    #DANNYCENT

Thats the workings of a twisted individual...
    Be careful.

Saw a (small) sow and 5 piglets beside SH1 just before the Aitamuri Gull station last week - just taking it easy on the short grass.

I wonder how many of the dozens of people that drove past saw them.

Saw quite a few pig skins on the fence about 5ks past the Stanley's pub at Macraes towards Middlemarch
    Also used to to see them in the rural areas with wild dog skins in aussie

Quote Originally Posted by Sideshow View Post
    Attachment 210341
    From a driven boar hunt in France back in 17
    Looks like that driven pig found a deerskin and grew wings lol
    I know a lot but it seems less every day...

Sounds like a local version of Ewen McDonald - I really don't understand how people can be like that

Is it worth putting up unobtrusive cameras or do you reckon that would be seen by these sort of priveleged dickbags as antagonism?

More Roadside wildlife... I will/intend to put up some photos from the past on this thread for forum members enjoyment

Name:  A Red spiker deer.jpg
Views: 481
Size:  275.7 KB

What I'm trying to do is to get get a photo of a wild deer standing in the middle of a public road.

Perhaps in the future with a bit of luck, I might be able to achive this. Has anyone got any tips?

Feel free to post your roadside deer photos in this post

A mate experienced that on his farm up the back of Taranaki. Put out nailed boards. They came back and did quite a bit of damage to property and killing stock. Not deterred he put out boards everywhere. He located them stuck one night and they had a chat with his brother and a batten. He watched with a crow bar so they could not run away. This was in 1989. No one travels up his dead end road anymore.
    308, BSA270 and Aussiejackson like this.