Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Alpine Delta

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree17Likes
  • 1 Post By JessicaChen
  • 5 Post By Micky Duck
  • 2 Post By Micky Duck
  • 3 Post By 04jimmy.hunts
  • 1 Post By Micky Duck
  • 1 Post By JmL

Thread: Dunedin Area Hunting

JmL

Dunedin Area Hunting

Gidday Team
    Just after a bit of information regarding DOC blocks around the Dunedin area.
    Have had a bit of a look online at the blocks that are around and even though living around Dunedin for quite a while, have always disregarded them and headed further towards central or down south for most of my hunting. Any advice or tips on which ones are holding animals lately or which ones to avoid. Any reply is appreciated but failing that im happy to chuck the boots on and just go for a look round anyway
    Cheers

They are all well hunted being nearby the city, but there are still animals around that are wary. Even the goats don’t stick around for long when they sense me. Have gotten a few goats out at Carey’s creek and further out at Gabriel’s gully. Can’t say anything about deer, haven’t personally tried to chase any nearby which would be at the silver peaks. Lots of fresh red deer sign at restricted areas in the catlins. Only succeeded for deer at blue mountains.
    Micky Duck likes this.

Plenty of pigs in the silver peaks, a few goats and the odd deer. Its pretty rugged and the bush is thick, watch out for the Urtica ferox in some of the valleys. I have found most animals in the areas with least amount of foot traffic going through except for pigs, usually don't have to go far for a pig but there's lots of pig hunters working off the mountain road

Dunedin and surrounds is awesome if you're a pig hunter. Anyone know if you can get into te papanui through gardiners track?

AGAIN a first post...asks where do I FIND ANIMALS IN SUCH N SUCH AREA..... and how many more posts do we see from OP??????
    will see,only time will tell,
    when you get older and cynical you stop giving away info on areas....
    Carbine, tetawa, Dama dama and 2 others like this.

oh I have no issue with folks ASKING...but some more contribution to forum as a whole would be good...or its just a take take take situation.
    Dama dama and RUMPY like this.

oh good ho...feel free to let us all know where your favourite hunting area is then...
    no worries at all.
    you should chuck a few items up on the pay it forward thread while you are at it...anyone free to grab them.... no worries
    but you are correct.....your 2nd to last word says it PERFECTLY....

Head along to otago deerstalkers and start getting involved you'll be surprised how people will start helping you out if your willing to participate a little. Suppose it's the same as what Mickey Duck is getting at with the forum.
    Micky Duck, Pixie Z and Phil_H like this.

welcome jimmy...hope you stick around and join in the banter.
    Pixie Z likes this.

Some good sentiments shared from all above- both the advice on spots, and the advice on chipping in and contributing a bit too. But welcome to the forum @JmL . Also welcome to @04jimmy.hunts & more solid advice.

In addition to the local branch of the NZDA, I'd recommend the Otago Students Spearfishing and Hunting Club (OSSHC). Not sure if you're a uni student or not, but they do also accept non students into the club. They're a uni affiliated club that promotes outdoor activities and encourages students to use their downtime from classes to escape from the urban jungle and experience all that the local wilderness has to offer. The club only started in 2012, but has already won the Otago Uni club of the year title twice. They hosts regular events on/around campus including wild foods bbqs, club dives (including ones specifically focussed on getting newbies out in the water), butchery workshops, knife sharpening workshops etc, and also giving back to the community by doing regular beach rubbish clean-ups, an annual (MPI sanctioned) charity spearfishing comp and other stuff. They've also run a few range days to get a bunch of young uni students, many of whom have never seen a firearm before, to have the opportunity to get up close and personal with a range of firearms in a controlled and monitored environment, and show them what it can be like when firearms are owned responsibly. Sorry, that turned into a bit of a large plug. Anyway, they're worth checking out. Also, Waianakarua. Shot my first ever deer in there. Careys Creek reliably produced goats when I was living down there.

JmL
    Thanks to everyone who has replied and offered advice. Much appreciated.
    I would like to clarify that it was not my mission to join this forum for the sole purpose of trying to get knowledgeable hunters from the Dunedin area to give up their “spot x”. As I stated I have done plenty of hunting with success may I add in areas that are further from Dunedin. It was more of a post to get some up to date, current advice on what areas are potentially holding the odd animal lately, a bit closer to home.
    My Sincere Apologies for causing such offence.
    Cheers
    JmL
    erniec likes this.