Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

ZeroPak Delta

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree68Likes

Thread: Guided Hunting

Well as someone in whangari I can't get to deer country often enough to learn where they are or are not Plus when i take my sons away I want them to get something.
    I have done private land free range bordering DOC in 4 locations and the only time I have been unsuccessful was with a couple of mates when we did not hire a guide. Only located where the animals where on our last morning and it was regularly hunted
    Have done 1 unguided behind the wire meat hunt with my sons. ( they trusted me not to shoot stags) Saw a number of animals which was great. 2x 2000 ah blocks with fallow and reds. Pricing was very reasonable.

As some one with limited time it makes sense to me.
    Up here i have good private access to goats and I have learned their travel patterns so if i miss at one end i can intercept them on the other side of the valley.
    Lots of people tell me about deer in northland but there are no available herds for the recreational hunter.
    (possibly some fellow made it across the Kaipara to Potu peninsula and people talk about some in Russell forest but I have never meet anyone with first hand experience)
    Zane

Where are you Pineapple? And no I don’t mean the rough end!
    Boom, cough,cough,cough

Quote Originally Posted by Pineapple View Post
    I would be keen to do a guided trip one day but I would be wanting to pay for the guide and not the head and definitely not something that is fenced in. I personally have no interest in a trophy and am only after an animal for meat. I am relatively inexperianced as friend got me bit by the hunting bug shortly before buggering off up north so I have had to self learn (around young family commitments) so I would be interested in a guided experiance that I had to work for not a luxury trip. I dont actually know if this sort of deal exists but that is what I would be interested in.
    @BRADS ??
    All those with dogs waiting no longer fear death. Those with many dogs waiting even welcome it in it's time.

Quote Originally Posted by Maca49 View Post
    haha - Im in Taranaki

Quote Originally Posted by Maca49 View Post
    haha - Im in Taranaki

Quote Originally Posted by tanqueray View Post
    Slightly OT, but can you do DIY hunts in New Cali?
    OT?

I believe they are all guided hunts, my mate was talking to a bloke at the shot show in Akl who was selling hunts.
    Shut up, get out & start pushing!

Cheers @berg243 - I will keep an eye out for when my social calendar (or my kids social calander) slows down a bit.

Don't have a problem with it. If you're short of time, want a good experience seeing animals, and can afford it then why not. Everyone hunts for different reasons, and you don't have to justify your reasons any more than I would...
    I'm drawn to the mountains and the bush, it's where life is clear, where the world makes the most sense.

Cheers guys,

Have never done it but looks like plenty available eh
    Warm Barrels!

Each to thee own, but AATH in our wilderness areas should be stopped . I cant believe it is allowed to happen.

R93
    Quote Originally Posted by ANOTHERHUNTER View Post
    Each to thee own, but AATH in our wilderness areas should be stopped . I cant believe it is allowed to happen.
    This is why I find DOC and the government so stupid.
    But then again I can see their side to a point. Because the animals are classed as pest and it is free control for them. This is why rec hunters will never get a fair shake until something is done collectively.

If we had hunting for foreigners set up like other places instead of giving everything away free then we would be getting somewhere.

Things like AATH could be stopped over night.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk
    Do what ya want! Ya will anyway.

if people want to do aath on private land then go for it . but in the designated wilderness areas ? It must annoy trampers and climbers too . Its the fact that we are only allowed to walk into the wilderness areas except for the thar ballot and certain sites , to keep it as a " wilderness experience " , but then people can just fly in as they please and smoke over animals .

Not knowing what "AATH" was I googled it and got to the DOC website. Aerially Assisted Trophy Hunting.
    The map of allowed areas seems to include pretty much all of the Sth Is except Fiordland ?! wtf ? Surely this should be more restricted.
    To get a permit there's an application fee of ~$1800 & then some very nominal concession costs for flight landings and daily charges. So once a guide has got thru the initial application cost fee & bureaucracy its pretty much a free lunch.

If the punter is an overseas tourists I'd like to think there was a decent fee ($4 -500/day?) with the privilege of accessing our public land.
    Steve123 likes this.

R93
    Quote Originally Posted by chainsaw View Post
    Not knowing what "AATH" was I googled it and got to the DOC website. Aerially Assisted Trophy Hunting.
    The map of allowed areas seems to include pretty much all of the Sth Is except Fiordland ?! wtf ? Surely this should be more restricted.
    To get a permit there's an application fee of ~$1800 & then some very nominal concession costs for flight landings and daily charges. So once a guide has got thru the initial application cost fee & bureaucracy its pretty much a free lunch.

If the punter is an overseas tourists I'd like to think there was a decent fee ($4 -500/day?) with the privilege of accessing our public land.
    It should be restricted to private land and exclusion zones imo.
    Or at the very least, not allowed during the ballot period.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk
    chainsaw and Steve123 like this.
    Do what ya want! Ya will anyway.

I have been on a few guided hunts on private property and have paid for the guiding etc. I have learnt a lot from the guide and do not consider this a waste. I would be unable to hunt this area without the guide, as due to the new ACC workplace laws, if anything was to happen to us then he is liable for it. By guiding all hunters on the property, he gets an income stream that would have not been there otherwise, he is able to control the safety aspect of behaviour on the property and reduce hazards, and as he is with the hunters he knows where they are and what they are doing so there is no issues around other hunter splitting up and getting into each others firing zone. It works well.

It is not the be all and end all, but it means I have a better idea of all these aspects of hunting when I go to hunt elsewhere. Especially as I did not grow up in a hunting household and only came into it after I left college.