Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

DPT ZeroPak

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Like Tree54Likes

Thread: Realistic cost to hunt Moose in Yukon ??

Im gonna put up some more photo's, just to keep you interested. As in all businesses, there are good guys and there are bad guys, and the problem is working out who is what from the other side of the world. Moose hunting is not easy, in my case we had to gat all the and gear organised the day before, usually with clients in the lodge, then roundup and saddle 14 or so horses on the day, riding saddles for guides and client, and packsaddles for all the gear. Then after a few hours of that, cos its a big job, then we rode off to whichever hunting area we were going to, for moose it was usually a day riding, but some camps were 2 days away. Once there you settle in, maybe even put up the tents etc, and we're talking big arsed wall tents you can stand and cook in, not little bloody 2 man mountain tents. Then we spent the next few days out looking for moose, so the wrangler brings in the horses before breakfast, if you're lucky, and you ride for maybe an hour or 2 to a higher glassing point, git off your horse and start glassing for a few hours. Theyre not too difficult to find, those massive antlers look like a beacon in the sun. But then you have to get to them, sometimes another couple of hours in the saddle, often through shoulder high buckbrush, shit of a stuff. Then when you get close, you call, or maybe use one of your darker horses as a decoy. and then you stalk, and try to take the shot in scrub that is often waist or shoulder high. After its over and you've slapped each other on the back, and taken your photo's of an animal that is so bloody heavy its almost impossible to turn it over, you decide if you're gonna try to get it back to camp that day, or whether you're gonna come back with more horses the following day. Basically a full day job just getting it quartered, packed on 2 or 3 horses and then back to camp. Its another 8 hours for the guide to fully head skin it cos everything is so bloody big! The ears are about 30cm long, the lips are huge, and its so heavy that every move is an effort. Then after all that, you head back to the lodge to unpack your string of 14 or so horses and sort out all your gear for another hunt because the client has decided that after coming all this way, theres spare days so may as well try and find a caribou, or a bear, or a wolf. There is plenty of game to look at, including sheep and goats as well as the others. But they are not thick on the ground like here in NZ, theres a lot of country between animals cos its so vast, and they have predators. The plane trip in to the lodge is an adventure on its own.
    We kiwi's are a bit different to your average North American hunter as well, we get in and help, we saddle the horses, we chop the firewood, we do the head skinning, we enjoy seeing the other wildlife, the beavers, the chipmunks, the birds. We know how to fix the boat motor or chainsaw, we know how to short bone a 40kg leg of moose to make it fit in the pack box, we make the coffee in the morning before the guide gets outa bed. So kiwi hunters are well liked in camp, cos we're good bastards.
    Like all hunting, you can tag out on day 1 if you're lucky, so then you go hunting for the next week for something different, or with a camera. A lot of North American hunters will pack up and ship out the day after they've got their animal, even though they've paid for a 10 or 14 day hunt, they wont stay for the duration. And sometimes the outfitter will encourage that because then he has some spare guides to do some repairs around the lodge, or do some scouting for the next client that may be coming for a $50k Stone Ram.
    Some outfits do all their hunting in argo's and winch the whole gutted animal on to the back of it, but for me thats a lazy arsed way of hunting. and it destroys the environment. Their bush and scrub is dormant for at least 9 months of the year cos it freezes, so any marks you make, or scrub you push over stays like that for the next 50 years.
    There are a heap of good outfits to choose from, best to get your info from somebody who's been with the outfit. I can certainly recommend some in Northern BC and I think theirs a few on here that know some good ones as well. When booking, make it known to your outfitter that you are there for the duration, a hunt is way more than a set of antlers on the wall. And your guides will enjoy it to if you tag out early and then want to cruise for a few days, gives them an opportunity to relax.
    7mmwsm, mikee, Sideshow and 1 others like this.

Name:  P1010220.jpg
Views: 384
Size:  2.43 MBName:  image_3.jpg
Views: 345
Size:  1.50 MBName:  DSCN7044.jpg
Views: 311
Size:  957.6 KBName:  DSCN7031.jpg
Views: 336
Size:  1.28 MBName:  DSCN7039.jpg
Views: 403
Size:  2.02 MBName:  DSCN7419.jpg
Views: 364
Size:  1.66 MBName:  Oct 7th Evening Turnagain .jpg
Views: 308
Size:  1.95 MB
    outdoorlad, tetawa, Gibo and 7 others like this.

Cheers Husky, there’s nothing that could dampen my interest haha!! Well 40 odd thousand dollars is a bit of a dampener but hey money comes and goes hopefully a little more comes my way or the damn US dollar takes a dive and a trip will be on!

Banned
    Was 'Profihunt' that was recommended in Russia

gadgetman likes this.

Bus driver
    Quote...”We kiwi's are a bit different to your average North American hunter as well, we get in and help, we saddle the horses, we chop the firewood, we do the head skinning, we enjoy seeing the other wildlife, the beavers, the chipmunks, the birds. We know how to fix the boat motor or chainsaw, we know how to short bone a 40kg leg of moose to make it fit in the pack box, we make the coffee in the morning before the guide gets outa bed. So kiwi hunters are well liked in camp, cos we're good bastards.”

I read that mate,and couldn’t have written that clearer or better.....it was true then and true now.I don’t see it as blowing smoke up anyone’s arse,well said.
    It's not the mountain we conquer,but ourselves.....Sir Edmund Hillary

R93
    Quote Originally Posted by 223nut View Post
    @R93 would be able to give you a good idea when he gets back into reception (could be a while)
    Depends on where you hunt but on average its around 15k US in BC plus 10% tip for guide whether you kill or not. I love the tips they doubled my wage
    Cooks and wranglers have to be tipped as well then you have to get the bloody thing home.
    I have just got back to the world. We had an awesome moose season.
    Only one hunter missed out but he was early and the rut was late where we were.
    I managed to get a very nice moose for a client last week but struggled to find a good bull earlier during the rut.
    I seen 2 bulls that would be as good as any Alaskan or Yukon animal but they were not recoverable so they were left alone.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk
    Sarvo, csmiffy and dannyb like this.
    Do what ya want! Ya will anyway.

R93
    Quote Originally Posted by stug View Post
    I would be very careful selecting a hunt in Russia, I have heard lots of horror stories that ended up very expensive with not much to show for it.
    Yup. Stay away from Russia. I have guided some agents that have some horror stories including murders.

Doubt the Moose are worth it.

Quote Originally Posted by R93 View Post
    Yup. Stay away from Russia. I have guided some agents that have some horror stories including murders.

Doubt the Moose are worth it.

What what
    So what about that hot looking Russian women that was on you Canuk job :-))

I know of many who have hunted Khamchatka region in Russia and only speak volumns on how g8 they were treated and sucess was perfect etc

Hope your "Wifi" not reading this :-)))))))))))))))))

R93
    Quote Originally Posted by Sarvo View Post
    What what
    So what about that hot looking Russian women that was on you Canuk job :-))

I know of many who have hunted Khamchatka region in Russia and only speak volumns on how g8 they were treated and sucess was perfect etc

Hope your "Wifi" not reading this :-)))))))))))))))))
    She also advises against it unless you know your stuff.
    2 guys I guided in the last couple of weeks have lost a lot of money and other horror stories just last year.

Some pretty dodgy things going on with some agents and Outfitters there.
    These blokes are agents themselves and do their homework so they were highly disappointed at being ripped off.

She also advises against it unless you know your stuff.
    2 guys I guided in the last couple of weeks have lost a lot of money and other horror stories just last year.

Some pretty dodgy things going on with some agents and Outfitters there.
    These blokes are agents themselves and do their homework so they were highly disappointed at being ripped off.

Interesting
    I was talking 10 years ago - seems odd how it would have gotten worse in later years - but I beleive what you say now !!

R93
    Quote Originally Posted by Sarvo View Post
    Interesting
    I was talking 10 years ago - seems odd how it would have gotten worse in later years - but I beleive what you say now !!
    Same. Had clients rave about their experiences as well.
    Just need to do your homework I spose.
    Hunting here in BC you can run into dodgy outfits as well...... Especially if I am guiding for them

Same. Had clients rave about their experiences as well.
    Just need to do your homework I spose.
    Hunting here in BC you can run into dodgy outfits as well...... Especially if I am guiding for them

The wife just said - that that Khamchatka region is riff with criminals and you need to know your knows and who not to knows
    Was on my bucket list - but maybe better forget and not speed up the bucket entry :-)

Well there you go, I've just had my moose hunt by looking at the pic`s, that's as close as I will get. By the way what cal of rifle is recommended for these beasts?, .338 lapra, 9.3 , 7mm wsm. Looks big country, could lose NZ in there.

Hey R93 good to hear the season went well !! Have emailed quite a few outfitters in BC hoping to hear back from them, seems far more affordable than in the Yukon, Would I be able to pester you with a couple of questions through PM ??