Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

ZeroPak DPT

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree5Likes
  • 2 Post By Barry the hunter
  • 3 Post By Hunter595

Thread: Teaching pig dog to bail with ither dogs

Teaching pig dog to bail with ither dogs

Hey everyone I am after some advice, my pig dog nails very well by himself but as soon as another dog arrives he goes in and holds which isn’t ideal any ideas thanks

Hmmmm.a muzzle isn't ideal,not is correction collar but giving a tone might be your answer.just be careful not to put them off completely.hold should only be done on command I believe.
    75/15/10 black powder matters

Is the other dog bailing or holding,

Jus
    Some dogs just do what some dogs do. The dog may change after a few hidings.. built Westwood trains dogs to only bail with a muzzle and a shock collar I think. In my opinion, run harder dogs as a back up and stick all your pigs or swap the dog for a pure bailer

Bill Westwood does indeed teach dogs to bail.......uses muzzle and correction collar but dogs are kept on lead to begin with to walk in on bailup untill they show they will behave...he isnt a shock happy fella at all.
    you wont have the advantage of quieter pig in a fenced block to play with....
    you can teach a hard dog not to hold..but as said in first post its a balancing act...dont want them to get the sulks and say bugger you I wont hunt at all.
    75/15/10 black powder matters

Quote Originally Posted by 3030hunter View Post
    Hey everyone I am after some advice, my pig dog nails very well by himself but as soon as another dog arrives he goes in and holds which isn’t ideal any ideas thanks
    this is a hard one very very easy to sour a keen dog and then damn hard to get that willingness to bail or hold back - what really is the problem the dog is working - if he is young a few good boofs from a decent boar and he may back off on his own - I would just keep hunting him - if you pig hunt you must expect some vet bills
    Danny and Micky Duck like this.

I was a pig hunter for 40 years, does your dog bail when he is on his own, and if he can stop pigs then hunt him on his own. Some dogs are like people, on their own you are careful about starting a scrap, add a couple mates and then you get a bit braver and are keen to scrap
    I had all sorts of mutts over my time, but the better ones had to be hard stoppers, after that it’s personal preference, when I was young and bullet proof I used to boast about never having to shoot a pig, it was always a knife job, as I got older and smarter, I preferred to sneak into the bail and end it with a well placed shot.