Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Terminator DPT

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree7Likes
  • 5 Post By gundoc
  • 2 Post By Carlsen Highway

Thread: BSA Majestic bolt - remove extractor

Banned

BSA Majestic bolt - remove extractor

Does anyone know how to disassemble the extractor, plunger and spring out of a BSA Majestic bolt? I thought I would know how from just looking at it, but it turns out I have inflated my own intuitive mechanical understanding inside my own head to the point that it no longer serves a useful purpose beyond making me nod knowingly when someone says, hey, why don't you take the extractor out of that BSA Majestic bolt.
    The issue is that there is a stiff bolt close as the extractor rides over the rim of the case as the bolt is closed. This happens with all brass types. It's functional, but it is a hard bolt close, and is enough to make one consider how long the extractor might last doing this, as well as dramatically slowing down one's follow up shot.

I am thinking that the plunger is not sitting right, the spring is too long, the holding pin thing is on backwards, something seized with age, or perhaps they made it this way and it needs an edge on the extractor ground off a bit.
    These are my thoughts on the matter. I would appreciate any insights anyone might offer.

To remove the extractor you must depress the plunger with the tip of a fine screw driver, then slide the claw out over the plunger. Take great care to catch the plunger before the claw clears it or it will fly out (they are bloody small and difficult to find!). The plunger has an angled face that bears on a matching flat on the claw. These faces must be clean, polished, and lubricated. The groove in the bolt that the claw slides in must also be clean and lubed. The angled face of the claw that first contacts the base of the cartridge can sometimes have fine machine marks that need to be polished out. They are usually quite reliable but rust and dirt can cause problems.
    Tahr, outdoorlad, tetawa and 2 others like this.

Banned
    Gundoc - I figured out how to get it out, and I fixed it and just came back now to day so and saw your post - Your analysis was exactly right - the angled face of the extractor needed the most minor polish. I tip my hat to you.
    Micky Duck and WallyR like this.