Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

DPT Alpine

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By stretch

Thread: Combination Lock Needs Servicing?

Combination Lock Needs Servicing?

Hi Guys,

November last year I upgraded my securuty to a Boston Securty 20 gun safe and haven't had a great experience with it thus far. After bolting it to the concrete floor I noticed heavy welding pirosity on the corners and on the hinges - Wish I had noticed it before fixing it to the floor however the retailer gave me a credit back which was fair and honoured a lifetime warranty on the safe and that I would fix the holes in the welding @ my cost.

However...

Problem number 2 has arisen. The LA Guard dial has formed fairly deep scratch marks that have etched in to the steel on the dial all the way around. There is a bit of "wobble" on the dial and you can unlock the safe from being one off a digit on either side. I am very dissappointed to say the least.

Considering this is suppose to be a "top tier" gunsafe the workmanship on this is below average to be honest. I have rung a few locksmiths and they seem to think that unlocking a digit out on either side is normal behaviour for a mechanical lock and also "slight" wobble is normal but as for the etching on the dial that may be a bit more serious.

I have uploaded some photos, has anyone experieced anything like this with a combination lock? Does anyone own this gunsafe? What was the outcome? I'm waiting to hear back from the retailer. They honoured me a lifetime warranty after discovering heavy weld pirosity in the safe so I believe it's fair & resonable that they fix this at their cost . It's puzzling becasue LA Guard dials are suppose to be top notch.

Any opinions from you guys will be much appreciated thank you.

Name:  WP_20160222_001.jpg
Views: 303
Size:  345.1 KBName:  WP_20160222_002.jpg
Views: 288
Size:  376.0 KBName:  WP_20160222_003.jpg
Views: 285
Size:  357.2 KBName:  WP_20160222_004.jpg
Views: 279
Size:  346.4 KBName:  WP_20160222_007.jpg
Views: 299
Size:  966.5 KBName:  WP_20160222_010.jpg
Views: 320
Size:  392.0 KB

My amateur understanding is that 1 number either side is acceptable, depending on the rating of the combination lock. The "fudge-factor" is due to the size of the gate opening in each of the wheels, and the size of the 'fence' on the lever arm.

Not necessarily your brand of lock, but http://www.sargentandgreenleaf.com/p...mech_locks.pdf provides a some good info.

Also an explanation of lock ratings (group 1, group 2, etc) here: http://www.lockwiki.com/index.php/UL...sistance_Tests

Sent from my SM-T800 using Tapatalk
    Sasquatch likes this.

Thanks for the info @stretch